Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really, really like Aldi's, I do. But the cheese prices everywhere are beginning to pinch me too much. I tried Aldi's "Velveeta" . It is horrid. I am forsing myself to eat it, but I won't buy it again. My question is ...
Is the Aldi's fake "Velveeta" vastly different from brand Velveeta? If so, I might still try to buy some Velveeta. If not, I am just going to eat less cheese. It would be terrible, and ANYTHING is better than the the Aldi's "Velveeta"

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
can you make some chili con queso with chips? mac and cheese?

Reactions: kita

·
Registered
299 Posts
I find no difference in taste or consistency between Aldi's Velveeta and the name brand Velveeta. If your used to eating "real cheese" than you probably wont like any velveeta.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I also think Aldi's is very similar to velveeta. I can eat it in limited amounts but it's not like cheese. More for dips or melting than putting on a sandwich.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The only way I use any kind of processed cheese like Velveeta (I usually buy the Aldi brand) is melted in mac & cheese or dip. I would never eat it plain like on crackers or a sandwich like I do real cheese. Ick.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm not sure if I have ever tried it! The only way I use "velvetta" type cheeses is to make dips or Mac N Cheese...I'm not eating it plain...

·
Registered
514 Posts
When we used to do velveeta & that sorta stuff, Aldi was the only "other" brand I'd buy. The Kroger one was too greasy & didn't melt well, but lumpy. Now I make a cheese spread & it's great in place of velveeta.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been eating it with refried beans on tortilla's. I haven't tried the mac and cheese. There is still two-thirds of the stick left so I suppose I will eventually get there.
Maybe it is a taste aquired in childhood, like Kool-aid, or fruit punch. I'll get the urge for Kool-aid about twice a year and it never lasts for more than two glasses. I suppose I can blame it on my parents who never taaught me to appreciate hot-house tomatoes or Spam.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I haven't tried Aldi's velveeta clone yet but here are a few other things I use velveeta for:

Cheese sauce for tuna melts
Broccoli & cheese soup
Broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I don't like Aldi's Velveeta at all and never did. I think I burnt myself out on the gross cheese a few years ago making rotel for football games. Gross factor.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I don't care for the off brand velveeta. I only buy velveeta about 3 times a year. We usually make rotel dip with it, broccoli and cheese, or mac-n-cheese. I also use it in my chicken/rice/broccoli casserole.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheese Fudge?? I think I will make a half batch of that. If it is horrid...I used the cheese for something....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoo-hoo...I found real cheese at 88 cents for 8 ounces on special sale at Shop-rite. I bought eight pounds and might go back on Saturday to see if they have anymore....
And Cheese fudge was okay, but not so exciting to make me buy Velveeta for...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Velvetta is not cheese but a cheese product. Makes ya think doesn't it? It's good for toasted cheese sandwichs and stuff thats melted. I can eat it on a sandwich butit tends to break down if left too long before eating like for lunches. It isn't bad on a fried spam sandwich.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my father used to say that if they had to label it as "food" as in "cheese food" it really wasn't edible. Of course he used to say that some breakfast cereals weren't cereals but really were candy in disguise....

·
2,688 Posts
You may want to take the product back to Ald's. They are good about stuff like this. Recently I took 2 produce items back, and got my money back for them, plus a bag each of the produce to try again. It's like a double your money back guarantee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts