Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Becuase I have been constantly sick since January and my latest bit is having this dry cough, sometimes hacking attacks with a severe post nasal drip afterwards my doctor has suggested I go see an 'allergist' to see what could be causing the cough. (I now have a bruised rib on the right hand side from coughing so much. Moving, breathing, laughing, coughing and sneezing really has me doubled over in pain - forget driving!)

I have had chest xrays done, tons of cough syrup and tablets....theres only one thing left to do - get my allergies tested to see exactly WHAT I am allergic to.

My boss at work suggested I go see a 'naturopath' to diagnose my allergies vs the traditional painful time consuming multi pin prick test done by the doctors. She said the naturopath ONLY needs a few drops of blood vs being poked on your back several times and then 'contaminated' with allergens.

Im not sure how this whole crazy thing works. Has anyone had allergy tests done? Anyone ever seen a naturopath? Whats the real difference? Are they both just as effective?

:feedback:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've never been to a naturopath but I did get allergy testing done after having symptoms like yours for over 6 months (and almost losing my job bc I wasn't there much due to feeling sick all the time!)

Turns out I was allergic to corn, soy, wheat, tomatoes, onions, cockroaches (found in A LOT of our processed foods, unfortunately!), mold, and dustmites

I did injections for a year and a half and drastically changed my diet but now I'm good as new, no diet restrictions and no shots ;) I didn't stop for any reason except I couldn't afford shots anymore

·
Registered
261 Posts
I tried the regular M.D. approach for a while...did the testing, too. Ended up having OVER 40 allergies! Their solution was to leave me on 2 inhalers, nose spray, and giving myself shots everyday as I had attacks (the worst day I had to give myself 15 shots...no, I'm not exaggerating...it was horrible).

I ended up going to a chiropractor that did NAET testing and treatment.
http://www.naet.com/

I'm prescription AND allergy free! :yippee:

I had never been exposed to natural medicine, muscle testing, etc. It seemed hokey to me at first.

But, the most important thing...IT WORKED!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the link - its very useful info and theres a few doctors/'wellness clinics' not too far from me. I will have to research this further....can you tell me if it was very costly to have the NEAT treatments? I know - theres no monetary value on health but I can sure try to buget right?! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My son just completed 3 series of allergy shots. We found that he is allergic to almost everything outside. He gets 2 shots a week. I am very happy with the allergist that we go to.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Allergy testing is not really painful. I am a big coward when it comes to any medical procedures but this is just a series of little pin pricks. They really do not hurt at all. I found I am alergic to dust and mold. It makes it hard when outdoors due to dust and mold in the soil and air. Then inside it is hard because I am "not" the best housekeeper in the world. Get tested and get some help. You will feel much better and life will greatly improve.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, my referral is in from my family doctor to the allergist. I will go mid June. :(

Im SOOO not excited to be pricked by 30 needles/arm. :yikes: When I found out I basically freaked but I think its time I actually found out what Im allergic too - officially.

Lord give me strength to not :fpunch: the doctor for putting pin pricks in me. I think the only reason why Im going is b/c my curosity has been peaked.

Now, can someone please tell me literally what do they do?? Im so scared! :(

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've had testing. It's not too bad, basically the dab your back with lot of little spots of stuff to see if you react to any. In my case I reacted to ALL of the native southwest grasses (GREAT fun in a rainy year!) so extremely that when the nurse came in to check on me she gasped. Well, considering that I'd ended up in the ER unable to breathe, I knew to expect something...

Anyway, I hope you can get some answers, and some relief. My mom swears by Mullein Extract - does something to keep it running out your nose instead of going into your chest??? Mine doesn't make stuff, I just swell up, and sometimes swell closed.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hrm...now Im wondering...is it dabs of stuff or pin pricks? On your back or your arms? Im getting worried.

I just got a call today at work - Im on a cancellation list and there was one this afternoon. I got bumped up to next Wed until then I cant take any antihistamines :( Man this will NOT be a fun week, I will be hacking my lungs out like crazy and oozing snot :laugh: Gee aint I so nice to paint such a lovely mental picture for y'all? ;)

Until next Wed, I wont know what Im truly allergic to. :dis: Oh yeah, do you get the results right away - like after your test?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DS had the series of test done a year ago. His was 28 (or maybe 25) little pricks on his back. He never flinched and said he barely felt it. The worst part was the waiting the twenty or so minutes (I forgot how long you have to wait) after they prick you to see what, if anything is going to cause a reaction. Keeping a ten year old laying on his belly was not fun.

Good luck, I hope it won't be as bad as you are expecting.

Oh yea, we got his results right then.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh one more question - do they poke you one by one and wait or do they poke you and test you all at once? I was told I'd need to be there for about 2-3 hours :smhelp: I am SOOOO not a fan of ANY needles :(

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My DD, who was 6 years old at the time, had allergy testing about 1 1/2 years ago. They tested her for 26 different things and there were about 3 panels with 8 needles and 1 panels that had 2 needles. They simply placed 4 panels on her back to prick her skin. It was pretty rough on my daughter, but she was only 6 at the time. Out of that panel of 26, she was allergic to 23 of those things. She did cry while they were pricking her skin and continued to cry afterwards. I think a lot of her reaction was her age and she is tends to be a drama queen anyways. I don't doubt that it was pretty uncomfotable for her. She continued to cry afterward because her back was itching like crazy and the only thing that I could do was blow on her back. Anyways, good luck with your testing!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok after learning all about this I am sooo not excited to get this done :( Im dreading Wednesday now :dis: but I'll still go and do it b/c I need to.

·
Registered
814 Posts
It's REALLY not that bad - I promise!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly the worst thing about it was feeling SO itchy afterwards and only being able to put on some anti-itch cream (which sucked at relieving the itchiness LOL)
It's not as bad as you think it's going to be! When I got it done, I was the world's squirmiest needlephobe! I just made sure I didn't watch! LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got an allergy test done about a year and a half ago. I have asthma, so we were trying to figure out what was triggering my attacks. It ended up not working and since we were getting ready to move I didn't get a chance to get a new test. I have no pain tolerance but this test didn't hurt at all. They prick your arm to make sure the histamine reacts and if it does they do all the pricks on your back. The test on my arm worked but then the control didn't even show up on my back. O well. I'm glad you mentioned this because now it's reminded me to go get tested again.

I just hope you find out exactly whats causing all your problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm SOOOO sorry if my post about my daughter's experience made you more anxious about allergy testing. I can say without a doubt that she does tend to overreact to things. One time my daughter needed to have a CT-Scan and all that we needed ther to do was LAY on the table and be still. She was hysterical and it took about 25 minutes just to calm her down. Last year, she had to have flu shot. They touched her skin to put the alcohol on and she started screaming. I cannot even imagine what it's going to be like when she has to have a pap smear. :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Ok I went through the whole ordeal and survived! I should get a DOZEN cookies for that! Overall it wasnt so bad but I just got the worst experience of my life.

I had 45 pin pricks poked one at a time into my forearms only to learn what I already knew :( How lame was that? And the assistant who did that portion of the testing wasnt friendly enough to make me comfortable at all. I clearly had 1000 questions and was overly curious. All he did was instruct me to turn my arms and then continued on his mission. And then he offered me a lollipop if I cried. :mad:

Once that was done I had to sit and wait and NOT SCRATCH for 45 minutes in the hallway. The actual doctor was kind but man...the rest of his staff need sensitivty training and bedside manner as well. Needless to say Im very traumatized. :eek:uch:

The only thing I've learned from this was that not everyone realizes that everyone reacts differently to needles and pin pricks. Not everyone has a heart :( and that Im allergic to grass, trees and mould - I already knew that. They just confirmed it. I was told to continue on my allergy meds as is and that during certain time periods - to use an inhaler. After 3 days of use...I still cough like Im not on any meds.

Anyhooo, enough ranting, Im just happy that its over with but very upset at how it all happened and the doctor knows all about it. BF too - poor guy followed me room to room watching me in pain not able to scratch. Im actually very itchy today too, just like the day I got tested. All in all, a very unpleasant life experience. At least I can cross that one off my list of things to experience before I die. I just hope next allergy season aint so bad or hard on me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I went thru the same experience...only it was OVER 80 shots over the course of 2 days. And grass, trees, and mold were 3 of my allergies.

I went thru NAET treatments (www.naet.com) a few months after that "experience" and am now allergy free. It's seriously worth it. I was on inhalers, meds, nose spray, drops, AND had to give myself shots DAILY...it was bad. I now use NONE of that...have NO prescriptions at all. It worked. It's painless, no needles, no drugs. Seems too good to be true, but it's not. :tay:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts