Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh took vacation this week, so I've been able to get to a few projects that have stacked up. One of them was altering some pants for him. Both pairs I took in the waist. One pair I also hemmed. These are like-new work pants he picked up at thrift stores.

For myself, I took in the legs on a few pairs of jeans so that they would fit inside boots easily. Then I did the same to a few pairs of knit pants to make them leggings instead.

Alterations are a pain and I avoid them, but it's nice to have these finished.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How did you take in DH's pant's waist? I need to do that but the back seam is folded over and stitched again. did you take out all the stitching?

piney

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I take out all the stitching with a seam ripper. I take off the belt loop, unfold the waistband and take it from there tapering into the back seam. Then I iron the new seam open, fold the waistband over again and put it all back together. It's a pain if there is a lot of top stitching involved, but it costs less than paying to have it done.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wow! taking in the waist is a real pain. Kudos to you. A tailor would have charged at least $20 to do that. And hemming would be $10 per pant. Tapering in would be another $10.
You saved a bundle!
It's hard to justify those costs when you can do it yourself. IMO.

Great job! and it does feel good to get those tasks out of the way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Good job on the alterations.

I think altering is a very handy skill to have. I find it is fun.

I hand hemmed my pants Thursday. I find hand hemming relaxing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the info, was hoping there was an easier way. It is a good way to save money when you have the know how.

piney

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have just started making alterations to pants. Right now I have two pairs of wool dress pants that need to be altered and I am debating on if I should do it since it would basically involve taking all the seams out and restarting. But I guess it would be a good project to figure out.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have just started making alterations to pants. Right now I have two pairs of wool dress pants that need to be altered and I am debating on if I should do it since it would basically involve taking all the seams out and restarting. But I guess it would be a good project to figure out.

SCARY project! and I sew! lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If altering requires taking out the side seams where the pockets are, I don't do it. That's basically making a new pair of pants by the time you've put it all together again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts