Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to use aluminum foil to line baking dishes (saves on washing) and to wrap around bowls that are missing lids, etc. My problem is that the store brands do not hold up well and tear in a mess and the name brand, Reynolds, is pretty expensive. Has anyone ran across a brand that works for them and isn't so pricey? or has a good alternative? I'm in a really small town in Southern Virginia and am limited on my store selections also. Thanks.

·
27,948 Posts
Hey stranger, how are you and your dd? :)

If you have a BJ's wholesale club nearby & are a member or know one their foil is easy to use and holds up great.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I do dislike the store brand as well. And, dislike paying for brand name.... sooooooo

I wash my pan by letting it soak over night. Use a little elbow grease to save money.

For the lidless bowls I use a shower cap. it's perfect to wrap around the bowls of all sizes. When I go a hotel I take the caps home with me. Wash and reuse.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here's a tip for fitting it into a roast pan without tearing it:
turn your pan upside down and fit the aluminum foil to the outside of the pan.

Then turn it right side up and gently fit the formed foil to the inside of the pan.

I always use foil inside my roasting pans, there's nothing more discouraging to me than cooking a great meal with a lot of cleanup.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Reynolds all the way, here. There's some things that just aren't worth scrimping on until you have to.

Oh and for those ripped or used sheets, did you know you can use them as "sos" scrubbers? They do great for cleaning the metal rings of stove burners.

I use saran wrap to wrap around bowls without lids.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I get Reynolds at dollar tree... The wally crap brand went up in price and quality got worse, so I checked elsewhere and was thrilled to see dollar tree had a name brand for $.24 less than wallys increase..

Hubby only gets paid once a month, on pay day I go to dollar tree and get my shampoo, conditioner (Suave), and Reynolds foil for the month... I get extra foil every time just in case they don't sell it anymore down the road..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I buy the Dollar Tree Renold's wrap too but it is the shorter ones and sometimes I need the wide. Last time I needed it instead of buying the Renold's i bougt the Walmart heavy duty store brand and its actually pretty good and about $1.00 cheaper than the Renold's. I've already used it for homemade meatballs to line the pan and it stood up great.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I've been pleased with Stop & Shop's store brand foil. Much less expensive. I can't believe how much foil is these days :eek:

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would second using shower caps to cover bowls without lids. Just wash after using. Saves a lot of money. If you have a dollar store near you they might be there. CVS also has them.

With store brand aluminum foil I always buy the heavy duty foil.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I went to my local gfs and bought a huge roll of Industrial kitchen foil for $20 bucks. I bought it around 8 months ago and only used a quarter of it. Its thick an well worth it. The box is like 10 pounds.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I agree. But not even Reynolds is as good as it used to be.
Agree with this..........I use a clear wrap for the bowls so I can see in them.

Foil ---any brand----has gotten extremely expensive. I try to watch for Reynolds on sale........and that is one thing I will use a coupon for.

·
19,119 Posts
Frugal Nurse - your reply is exactly what I was going to say - no really - every word the same - we must be cloned in some areas!!

I can remember back in the sixties when visiting friends' homes - and their mothers used those pastic cap type covers - really didn't appreciate them until recently.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For those that like the plastic covers...I've bought some that are specifically for bowls at the Dollar Tree. You get several for $1.00.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.