Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on decluttering our back porch and there were a number of pieces of dh's wood that needed to be moved. I called the kids to help and after we were finished hauling all the wood into the shed the neighbour (who is in his late 60's) made this profund statement. He said, while he is busy doing something on his house, always something to do heh.

That statement hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't always want to have "something to do" with things. I want to have time to spend in quiet reflection, I want to have time to spend with my family doing fun things, things that we can pull up as treasures when we go through difficult times. I don't want to always have something to do, thats why I'm decluttering. I want to have time to enjoy my quilting or reading, or have time for my friends. I want to make my house the simplest it can be and yet not take away from its warmth.

When I come into my kitchen, I have some china plates hung up above my cupboard and I'm "always doing" something with them -dusting or washing them, because there is always dust and cobwebs forming on them. Although I enjoy them, I've decided to take them down and put them into the goodwill bag, so that I'm not "always doing something" with them.

As the day wears on today and in the days to come, I plan on looking at everything with new eyes and a new vision - am I always doing something with it. If I am, it too is going to be given away!!!! I plan on making this my motto for everything that I think needs to come into the house!!!

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Well in reading you thread it makes me wonder that if you realyy adopt that policy for your life, you will have nothing left. I do agree that decluttering adds simplicity to you life, but if it is not the plates, then it will only be something else. My point is will getting rid of the plates or anything else for that matter bring about solution or is "Always Something To Do" just a fact of life?

Good food for thought by the way!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I agree there is always something to do. I could spend everyday vacuuming and dusting because I live in a rural area and the dust is always going to find it's way into my home but I made a decision a while back, that I could spend my time doing it everyday or I could do it every "couple" of days and have a little more time to do something I would like to do instead of something I needed to do. I can live with a little dust (if it is not thick enough to start seedlings in, LOL). I know that there is always something to do but I just decide which ones have to be done and then work from there.

That is great food for thought. Thanks for sharing it with us. You always have such great posts CJ. I love reading them.:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robin, I think we can "always find something to do", especially if we have lots of "stuff". What I'm saying here is that when I have something to do, I want it to have meaning to it, kwim!!! I don't want it to always be because I have too much stuff and the stuff takes away from doing things that are more important to me.

Case in point - it took us almost 20 minutes to move the wood out to the shed!!! Thats 20 minutes that I could have spent reading with the kids, quilting or reflecting or finding other more meaningful things to do. No I didn't toss the wood because its dh's and he uses it for his hobby, but if I could have I would have!!!

if it is not the plates, then it will only be something else.
Not if I don't replace those plates with anything else or I can replace them with a wonderful old rocking chair, where I can sit, contemplate, read or hand quilt and it has hardly any upkeep!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
There are two sides to this coin as with all coins.
You can choose to spend time on your stuff or with the kids. I have 195 salt and pepper shaker sets, I dust them 2-3 times a year. I could dust them every week, but that would be a waste of time. The dust is, for the most part unnoticable, so why spend my time dusting what is not seen anyway? Now this does not work for areas of health, like mold etc. However, the shakers bring me pleasure, plus 12 of the sets are my mothers, so getting rid of them for me is not an option, its not the things themselves I cherish, its the memories of my mom I need. Being able to touch things she touched. Now, yes I can and probably will get rid of the other sets eventually, if my sons or their wives do not want them.
I agree too much stuff is not good, but there are somethings that are worth keeping.
As Robin said too, no matter how much you get rid of, if you LET it something else will take its place. Unless you want to be like the writer who went in to a wood to live and found a nice rock and took it to his hut, then tossed it because it was "a thing extra" and he only wanted what was needed.
We all have too much stuff, I mean, we only need 2 sets of clothes each, but who has that? We only need 1 glass, plate, spoon etc for each member of the house, as our pioneer ancestors had, but don't most of us have bigger sets than that?
Its all a matter of taste. My MIL has a house full to the brim of stuff. (such as 5 or 6 full sets of dishes)I could not breath if I had that much! My home is open and airy, and I actually have some shelves and cabinets with nothing in/on them. Yet, I could still whittle out even more if I chose to.
We each have our own comfort level, and there is peace when we reach it. Our goal should be to find that peace.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sis, I'm not saying to get rid of everything. I'm keeping my porcelain dolls that I love, treasure and most came from my mom. They don't take a lot of my time to take care of and they bring me memories of childhood. The plates were plates I picked up at yard sales, don't bring me memories of times past and bring me lots of extra work!!! Nor am I getting rid of my china cups and sauces, which again mostly came from my mom and remind me of the precious times I spent with my great grannie. But they are in a small china cabinet, and all the care they require is once a year and no more, unless I use them when company comes.

What I am saying for me, is that I want my home to be as simple as possible, still have the warmth it has, but not have to always be doing something with stuff!!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I lived with a couple forks and a couple of spoons for quite awhile. In fact, we also lived with about two glasses too. It was nice!! Now I have double sets of everything again and run the dishwasher every day and do some by hand at least twice a day.
I wonder why I felt I had to have more again. I think I felt silly not having a complete set I guess.

I have pared my life down to just above the bare necessities. I don't have knick knacks all over. I don't have closets that are jam packed. I don't have endless amounts of "stuff" either. I've found that it has made my life more simple. I enjoy fine things, but I enjoy fine moments more. If it's a choice between an object or an experience, I will choose an experience. I see beautiful items all the time and think...oh I would love that, but when given options I never seem to buy them.

I think basically what you're trying to say is you don't feel life has to be all about "it always being something or doing something with it". I spend many an uneventful day. I do agree that if you allow it, "somethings" will stack up to the point where there is always constantly something to do or maintain. I think it's because it's human nature to want to improve, but through paring down you can allow yourself more time to spend enjoying experiences vs. mundane things. Like the quote I had in my signature said.."how you spend your days is of course how you spend your life".

I suppose you could just elect not to do some things and not pare down, but that's an individual decision. I am almost dirt and germ phobic, so couldn't choose not to dust or clean and far prefer tossing out to not maintaining to my standards.

I've cleared out all the knick knacks. They didn't bring me joy. I bought them because I thought I wanted something decorative and then my tastes changed and then I changed and I just didn't let go. These didn't have any "value" to me and therefore were just things.

I worked in an "appearance" industry. I sold "warmth", "love", "moments", "beauty", etc. I can now say I could make a loving and warm home in a tent if I had to. It is not the place or the stuff....it's the moments.

I say if items don't hold any meaning or value to you....toss it all out. You'll feel a newfound freedom. Plus donating it will make you feel even better. :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Very interesting thread!:)

I know for sure I have too much stuff and it's keeping me busy! lol
I have been trying to declutter my home and keep only what means alot to me, but my problem is that I see a possibility in *everything*---*sigh*--so I keep so much, thinking I will do a certain project with this certain thing, etc...Believe me...if you visited my home, you would see how bad I am!

I know I have 24 hours in my days and 7 days in my week and I try hard to organize my life, but the minutes don't equal what I want to do...so I know I have to start making choices about what is really important to me...Already, I'm living my life doing lots of things that mean to me, like being the children in school, caring for my aunt(even if she goes she will be part of my life), reading, writing, drawing, sewing, etc...but I still seem to lack time, since in between all this I have to cook, clean, dust, mop the floors, do the groceries. So I do have to think and chose *which stuff* do I *really need or really means something to me* and the rest I know deep down must go....

....but like CJ said...it's my mind over the clutter...lol I just can't give it all up, yet.:toothy: But I want to...I need time to accept that I can't do everything...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Even though I know and admit that I have too much "stuff", it is lots of the stuff that makes me happy. I am a very sentimental person and that is what is at the root of all of my collecting. This thread is so good it had me thinking about it when I should have been in computer class!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Wow! It's 2.20am here and this is a bit much for me to take in at the moment - I'm a VERY deep thinker! lol.

I think it's an excellent thread though and I can see both sides now and I'm not sure what 'I' think LOL.

I will think about it though - bang goes another nights sleep lol

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
This is an interesting post...and for some reason has hit me hard...I do realize I've got a lot of decluttering to do in my own home..
I also like the much simpler, layed back lifestyle and the more I "collect" the less I enjoy it...not that I collect a lot but just have a hard time getting rid of things....
CJ you've given me lots to think about tonite...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts