Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, on a shopping trip my son found a class ring. The ring was inscribed with the schools initials and had other markings on each side as well as being engraved with a man's full name inside.

I took some time at work near the beginning of this month, and did a search of all high schools in the state that begin with JHS, the school's initials.

I came up with several options, but one seemed to fit better than the others. The ring had a Confederate flag on one side and one of the schools I found was Jasper High School here in Texas, which is kind of a "southern boy" kind of town.

I wrote to the school's principal and asked if there was a student who graduated in the year inscribed on the ring that was named what was engraved inside.

This morning the principal of the school called me and said that they did, indeed, have a student there by that name and that they contacted his grandmother who still lives there and said he would love to have the ring back, since he's in the Marine Corp. and about to ship out to Iraq. He is also married with a new baby.

I am shipping the ring back via the school in tomorrow's mail.

Now here's the reason for the question. All the girls I work with here seem to think I'm INSANE for bothering to try and find this person. I mean really out of my mind. Like why would I even WANT to return the ring. Like it's just some piece of gumball machine junk.

This is someone's class ring. I know when I lost mine (many moons ago) I was devastated. It meant something to me.

Am I crazy for doing this? It's not like it's going to cost me that much to return it to the school. And even if it did, doesn't it just seem like the cost would be nothing in comparison to doing something that could possibly mean a lot to someone?

I don't know. Maybe some people just don't care about their fellow human beings.

Reactions: Joshin

·
Registered
546 Posts
:cheergrl: Wow! That's so wonderful of you for finding the owner. I don't think it's crazy at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it's a wonderful thing to do - I love people who return property esp when it's something that has sentimental value rather than monetary value (although that's nice too)

I'm surprised at the reaction of your co-workers, why not do it? Good for you for taking the time :cheer4: , I bet you make his day.

Simone

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont think your crazy at all, it's very kind and considerate of you to return the ring, unlike others who might have kept it/sold it or threw it away, I am proud of you and I am sure that man is going to be most greatful.

·
27,948 Posts
I think it would be neat if someone gave me back something I lost, wouldn't anyone think that's neat? Who doesn't love solving a mystery too. Good for you! :tay:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What you are doing is very kind & I'm sure the young man will appreciate the effort you put into finding him & returning his ring.
I lost my class ring shortly after I graduated and it had never showed up, even after all these years if someone was to find it & return it to me I would be very greatful. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I do not think you are crazy at all. Someone stole my dad's class ring 20 years ago and he is still saddened by it. I am sure you have done the right thing and are making this family very happy. Good for you. This world would be a better place if more people took the time to do nice gestures for others.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think that was very kind of you but not crazy at all. Infact if everybody else would show a little more kindness other people would be kinder to eachother. Becuae you did that you may have just restored his faith in humans. KWIM. Good job and I think your coworkers could learn from you.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think that is so nice of you! I lost my high school class ring my first year in college. I thought I left it at home, but I searched everywhere for it and it hasn't turned up. It's been about 10 years since I lost it, if someone found mine and returned it to me it would be one of the highlights that I would remember in my life! I know it's silly, but that ring kind of represented my last year of something innocent and safe in my life. The years after high school have never felt as safe and protected as the years in high school. I keep hoping that it will turn up :) You were right to find that man, I bet he is so thankful.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Wow, how wonderful that you found the owner. I just wish you could see his face when he realised someone put in the extra effort to return his ring.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nope I don't think your crazy, and I agree with you it sucks when you lose your class ring, I would love to have mine back.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You are not crazy! I think it is wonderful that you took the time to find out soilder. I lost my ring many years ago. I wish whoever had found it had taken the time to hunt me down. May God bless you for your kind deeds.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I never had a class ring and don't have much sentiment for such an item, but for someone who has purchased one, they surely must find importance in it.

I don't think what you're doing is strange or crazy. I think it's sad that others think it's crazy of you. I'd be very grateful if someone went through such effort for my object!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think what you did was great. I bet that this is not the first time you have gone out of your way to help another and that is a nice quality. Do not let anyone tell you your CRAZY!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I think you are doing a wonderful gesture by returning the ring to the rightful owner. I would have tried to do the same thing. It isn't the cost that would matter to me, it is the sentimental value. I would want to have my ring back to show my children with pride what I accomplished.

I applaud you for doing what you thought was right!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't think you're crazy at all! I think you have done a wonderfully thoughtful thing. Infact, IMHO, if there were more people like you in this world, the world would be a better place. You're a great person!

·
Registered
473 Posts
That was so kind of you!! Wonder how it got so far away from him. Some x-gf maybe?? I know when I lost mine I was DEVASTATED as well. You went above and beyond what most people would do. Good for you!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
That's awesome. What goes around, comes around.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts