Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is $3000 a lot for a truck with so many problems owner is driving her mom's car. I haven't bought an auto in years. Have they really gone up that much?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
The cash for clunkers programs caused the price of used vehicles to rise.

Go to kbb.com and price out the used value of the truck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
per KBB.com mine is worth $1500 private sell (which this was) and mine is newer, has most of the extras and little to no problems in 4yrs. I have an SUV. I just can't see a truck that is constantly breaking down being worth $3000.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
For $3000 it should be currently running and have some life left in it. Not new, obviously, but you should not expect to need to do work on it for 6-12 months and it should be in decent physical shape.

For $1500 it should run, and you should be told what to expect to break down soon. (IE the breaks are going out, or it has trouble starting sometimes)

For $500 ... when it breaks it might not be repairable. My last $500 car had a big crack across the windshield, no heat, and threw a rod 6 months later.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For $3000 it should be currently running and have some life left in it. Not new, obviously, but you should not expect to need to do work on it for 6-12 months and it should be in decent physical shape.

For $1500 it should run, and you should be told what to expect to break down soon. (IE the breaks are going out, or it has trouble starting sometimes)

For $500 ... when it breaks it might not be repairable. My last $500 car had a big crack across the windshield, no heat, and threw a rod 6 months later.
That is kind of what I was thinking.

I have to eat Christmas dinner with seller and buyer. This isn't going to be fun. The truck broke down in less than 5 days. Which isn't anything new.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
This isn't a truck YOU bought, is it?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I live in a pretty expensive part of the country.. that's a lot for a truck if it is over 5 years old, is not in runs good condition, or needs any major repair including glass, tranny, or major engine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't buy or sell the truck so it really isn't my business. I more or less wanted to know if autos had really gone up so much that a sometimes working, sometimes not is worth that much. I hope to retire my truck in a couple yrs for a $3000 to $5000 auto. If $3000 gets you a piece of junk, I'll need a lot more than that.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I'm sure $3k can get you a piece of junk if you're not careful. ;)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
we bought a 2002 ford 4 door truck. in 2005. we paid at the time 15,000. it was like new and had 170,000 km. now we might only get 5000 to 7000. pain in butt with many problems since we got it. sometimes paying more doesnt mean u get better veichle.
search first online and ask around about certain make and models.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'd start looking and pricing now. Here $3000 would you in trouble before long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts