Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information out there. I'd love to know where you guys stay when you go.

I'm planning and saving for our first trip with the kids (and first trip since 98--which was a trip for work so didn't get to see much LOL)

TIA! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
we were going to go this year but couldnt for money reasons:eek: ..i had found a packagae deal that included tickets to the parks and hotel for a week (7 nights 8 days) for about 2,100..we were gonna drive down. The hotel was the Holiday Inn Family Suites..you may wanna search on that..It was a really good deal for a family of 5..The suite had a seperate bedroom for parents:D and a kids area where it was kinda themed..also a living room and a kitchenette..hope this helps. were going to try again for next year and will definitely be checking this out again!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Everytime we went but once, we stayed at Dixie Landings Disney property (it is now called Port Orleans). It was old world southern charm layout (property) and decor, absolutely beautiful. This is considered a moderate priced property, but the value priced properties are just as nice, more small children around, but hey your going to Disney! :D

I just looked at the site http://www.waltdisneyworld.com and the starting difference between the 2 are quite a bit per night, moderate - $133 - $440! and value -$77 -$124. You only need the room for a bed and shower, believe me you are so busy trying to see everything and ride all the rides and do it again, you don't see very much of the room.

I have to say, we have always drove down, usually went through AAA with a Driveaway Vacation ( I didn't have to do anything except pack and make 1 dinner reservation before we left). That includes 1 hotel room on the way down and 1 on the way home.

My point is, if you fly down and don't stay on a Disney property, you may want to look into renting a car too. Or at least pick a hotel that has shuttles to and from the different parks (Sea World and Universal too if you want to see them). Taxi's are very expensive and the traffic is unreal! Always some construction going on. The one time we stayed off property (Day's Inn with a fantastic rate of $48? a night) We spent 1/2 our time in the van driving to the parks, paying for parking, driving again to eat.

We both hated it and vowed never to do that again. I thought I was saving us a lot by doing this and only saved about $100!!! Was not worth it, and was the worst vacation we have ever been on!!

There, I just gave you more information than you probably wanted! :D

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Family Suites when we went down in March. My kids had a blast and the room was great. As a matter of fact, there are pictures of the room in the gallery under baronmom. The breakfast buffet is the best anywhere. To check it out go to www.hifamilysuites.com . I would recommend it to anyone who has kids. The room had a separate room for the kids, a nice size room for us and a living area to watch tv and just hang out and relax. It has 3 tv's, 2 vcr's, and a nintendo 64. I would also recommend going to AAA for your tickets. I would avoid picking up your tickets at any of the parks. The lines are always long and it is just a waste of time to wait in those lines. Good luck with your search. It took me a long time to plan our vacation. I wanted to make sure that we got the best hotel and the best prices.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply baronmom--I had forgotten that you just went there. I'm going to check out that hotel.

How close was it from the parks? I'm not too keen on paying for all that parking if I don't have to and had been planning on staying at a Disney property or staying at a hotel like the one you describe (which sounds just perfect for us since we won't want to go to bed as early as the kids!)

Thanks again for your reply! :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The tickets are cheaper at the Disney store (than AAA) by $6.00 per ticket :)

I can't help you about where to stay. We usually stay at DH parent's timeshare at Vistana.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
At Holiday Inn Family suites you are about 5 minutes from the park. They do offer shuttle service to and from any of the Disney parks. There are plenty of shuttles going to the parks, but the shuttle going back to the hotel are not as frequent. If you want to go back to the hotel and there is not a shuttle running it will cost about $10 for a taxi. They usually ran shuttles from 8am until noon to go to the parks and 12:00, 5:00, and a shuttle sometime between 7 and 9 when the parks were open later. The only thing that you have to do is sign up for the bus that you want to take to the park the night before. You can take any shuttle home that you would like but they do get full so you want to make sure that you are at the first stop for the shuttle or you might have to stand. Some of the shuttles go to 2 or 3 parks before they go back to the hotel. I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
We are staying at the All star Movies on Disney property.With my Disney club discount it's costing us $414 for 6 nights.We are also staying at the Wyndam in Orlando for $120 for 3 nights.I got the wydam threw price line.The all stars are great esp the movies.If you wnt to stay on property these are great.Rates change threw out the year there so it might be a lil more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts