Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my mother gave me an Amaryllis bulb shortly before Chrismas. I planted it, kept it indoors, it bloomed, and then I saved the bulb. The instructions said that sometimes they would live over and could be forced for another season. The instruction did say to keep them in a cold, dark place like your basement. I don't have a basement, so I put mine in my refridgerator. Well, two weeks ago I pulled it out, put it in a pot with some dirt, and now I have 4-5 inches of green stem coming up!

I guess this truly is frugal gardening :)

Just wanted to brag!

Also, Rhonda - since you're in Australia, you must be in the beginning of summer? How's your garden coming along?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yes, I think that's awesome. I'm always amazed myself when things like this work. I had petunias reseed themselves this year. This year I opened up the dried flower and sprinkled the seeds in my window boxes, so I'll be really excited in the spring when new flowers start to grow. I'm hoping to reduce my flower purchases for next spring.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Sara, it's good that your Amarylis is growing again. I have a big row of them in my garden, they've just finished flowing. I generally cut them right back when I cut the spent flowers off. They regrow those nice lush green strap leaves and look good until they flower again.

What colour is your amarylis? They come in such fabulous colours.

My sister is a florist and she told me that often flower bulbs are grown in such a way - they grow them fast and force the first flowers - that they only have energy enough for one flowering. I had a florist grown cyclamen. I tried to get it to grow the second year. It grew leaves but would never flower.

My garden is doing really well this year. I've just had my best friend Kathleen visiting and when I picked her up from the airport and we drove into the garden for the first time (I have a very long driveway) she told me that she always feels like she's travelling back in time when she comes to my garden again. :) I have mauve agapanthus and white star jasmine planted all along the driveway and it's all in flower now.

We're having a lot of rain this spring/summer and it's doing the garden the world of good after the drought. I've just planted a lot of salvias - various kinds and colours. I love salvias, they are such humble, hard working little plants. The gardenias and gingers are flowering now as well, so the garden smells beautiful.

Out the back in vegie land we have a huge crop of tomatoes and lettuce that I hope will be ready for christmas. The strawberries are still fruiting - they've been at it for about 4 months now. I left two perfect peaches on my newly planted peach tree and stripped the rest of the flowers to let the tree establish before being burdened with fruit. Those two peaches are almost full size and are a deep raspberry red. They are such a temptation for me when I go into the garden.:toothy:

I planted some watermelon and cantalope seeds last week. The next excitement will be them growing. Oh, and my vanilla orchids are growing like mad too. I'm hoping for my first vanilla beans this year. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Rhonda,

Your garden sounds beautiful:) It reminds me of my sister's garden. She and my bil are the master gardeners. I'm still learning. Reading your post was like taking a two minute vacation. As I type, it's snowing, the temp is around 30 degrees. I'm wearing two layers, have an afgan on my lap and the space heater blowing hot air. For a brief few moments, I experienced summer. Thanks for that:)

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Thanks Shannon. If you ever wander over this way, I'll trade you a couple of days working with me in the garden for a bed and food. I love my garden but it's a lot of work. It will explode with growth soon, which I really like as I'm forever pruning and getting new plant material for the compost heap.

Snuggle up under that afgan. I hope you stay warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts