Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(My apologies if this thread isn't in the right place - I hope it's appropriate for it to be here...)

I'd like to be able to follow American cup measurements in baking recipes and so was thinking of buying this:

Amazon.com: Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Measurements: Kitchen & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51XVPV836HL

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the UK or Ireland that sells those sorts of jugs with US cup measurements on them?

I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find a measuring jug that has this in place, but I actually haven't seen any :dunce: and I'm also conscious that cups sizes vary across other countries, so it would need to be the American version.

Otherwise, I'll go ahead and order that jug.

Thanks in advance, folks :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Squidge - don't forget...thats only a measuring cup for liquids.

These are the dry measuring cups.
Libby, that's a good point. They may be harder to get hold of from UK suppliers, might have to go through amazon.com for that.

Erm...this may be a very stupid and obvious question, but if the first of those is one cup, what are the other ones?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Don't forget the measuring spoons! -- It may just be cheaper for you for someone in the US to mail some to you. I can check the prices of international shipping.

Reactions: Squidge

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Libby, that's a good point. They may be harder to get hold of from UK suppliers, might have to go through amazon.com for that.

Erm...this may be a very stupid and obvious question, but if the first of those is one cup, what are the other ones?
1 cup, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 < dry measurements (coffee sized is 1/8)

1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon < usuall spoon sizes

Also, I just checked... a small package from the US to UK is $14 USD - If you can not find a complete package, I can send you a set.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 cup, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 < dry measurements (coffee sized is 1/8)

1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon < usuall spoon sizes

Also, I just checked... a small package from the US to UK is $14 USD - If you can not find a complete package, I can send you a set.
Thank you so much!

I will continue my hunt, see what I find and let you know if I've successfully found a full set :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not just look up how many mL that a cup/teaspoon/tablesoon is and use that measurement?
Yes - thats why I posted this link though it looks like just a picture. Its a table of conversions from Canada to US to Australia and UK. I hope it helps.
It's really just for convenience purposes, I am not so good with numbers and conversions (I get numbers back to front and all sorts of nonsense), but it is definitely useful in the meantime.

I love oxo but be aware those cups are plastic. I really favor glass because of melted liquids like hot butter.
This had came up in quite a few of the reviews I read - I'm going to be quite cautious with the plastic ones.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought mine from Poundland - a set of 7 cups and spoons - i dont know if you have anything like that in Ireland. I know Wilkinsons do mesuring cups too

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just want to say a big thank you for your comments and advice on this, folks :grouphug2

An American colleague of mine is heading back to the States for a week or so in a couple of days and she has kindly offered to pick me up some cheap measuring cups.

In the meantime, I've found the conversions very useful and even baked some blondies using a US recipe yesterday :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.