Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone needs to read "in full" the portion of the attached article that deals with fast food burgers and then do a search on the company Beef Products, Inc.

Not only are the burgers made from just TRIMMINGS, but then they are processed in amonia!

Told DD not to feed my grandbabies any more of these; go somewhere that makes their own patties.

This is not only GROSS but unsafe IMHO.

The Truth About Your Weight Gain

·
27,948 Posts
Real bacon trumps turkey. Woot!

Reactions: Nishu

·
Registered
432 Posts
That is really sad and disgusting. The only fast food burgers we ever eat are Wendy's, and I hope they don't use that product. It's a rare thing for us to eat fast food anyway, and we'll stop altogether until I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I remember this from a while back after watching Food Inc I believe and looked up the company mentioned.

The beef is cleaned to kill e-coli with ammonia. They wash the meat in the ammonia. The company that does it says their product is in over 75% of all ground beef and they expected to be in 100% shortly. Did you hear that? All ground beef that means the ones sold in the store too not just fast food.

The company also said that the ammonia is not present (at least not much, my emphasis) in the product when it is ready for shipping.

I think if the only way to completely avoid it if you were nervous is to grind your own beef better yet have a cow butchered just for you at a local butcher/packer you trust.

Reactions: Vanilla and Neeley

·
Registered
147 Posts
this is one of the reasons I haven't had fast food meat in about 5 years, and no meat in the last 3!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My goodness! I guess I will start looking for a meat grinder!
We must keep in mind that ammonia is a natural chemical created by break down and is present in water and beef and other natural things naturally.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I guess I should be glad that we don't do fast food much. I don't think I'll ever want a fast food burger again!
Three biggest buyers of the ammonia processed meat were

Fast food
Grocery stores
and School lunch program

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've always heard nothing but disgusting things about ground beef, including the presence of fecal matter. For years now, the only way I buy ground beef is by picking out a roast and having the butcher grind it for me. I just can't handle the thought of all those "extra" ingredients.....lol!

Man, my stomach is turning! UGH!!!!

Thanks for the link. Everyone should know these things.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
And this is one of the big reasons I started our family eating whole and local foods! I buy a local 1/4 calf once a year (may go to 1/2) and they have it butchered locally. The cattle are pastured with just a little grain to supplement natural weight gain in order for them to be slaughtered by the time they are 21 months in order to avoid Mad Cow.
I learned a lot about industrial food by reading the book by Nina Planck - Real Food http://www.ninaplanck.com/books.html. Awesome read and real eye opener!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
And that's just the tip of the iceberg , if people only knew the truth about our food.
Thanks for the article. Keep your health everyone by using your money as a vote toward your health, by buying the food that will preserve you and nourish you. Health is your first wealth.

Yes very true, if people only knew the whole truth about our food system here. We get a organic raised cow every year, or buy and grind ourselves. I do have the butcher grind roasts as well. Stay informed, and healthy this year all.

Reactions: madjen

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with the poster who said she buys roasts & has the butcher grind them. I've been doing this for some time due to the price savings. Lean ground meat cost around 2.99 to 3.59 per lb. & when shoulder or rump roast go on sale for $1.99 per lb, it is a huge savings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.