Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading Tightwad Gazzette 3. She has inspired me to organize and plan the kiddos clothing better. ANyone have a rule of thumb on how many of each item you have? Any help of what you do in regards to clothing and how you save will be great!
Angie

·
8,714 Posts
~My 'rule' is only keep what will fit in their drawers. I have 2 drawers 30 inches wide for Ro and 3 drawers 18 inches wide for Evie. And 1 large tote of clothes they'll be growing into. Roman's selection is limited but it's convenient. He has about 3 each of jeans/slacks, comfy pants, pj sets, t-shirts, long-sleeved t-shirts, sweaters, footwear. That's it. Evie has about 6-8 each of everything because her clothes are smaller and more fits into the drawers. She wears less than 50% of what's in there so I could pare down even more. I wouldn't want to have less than 3 of most items. I think that's the bare minimum. HTH!~

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
:lol: I suppose my boys have too much ~ I go crazy when the thrift store has a '50 cent day' or 'everything you can stuff in a bag for $5' :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, 3 of each item. I'd love that. My kids have way too much clothing, but everytime I think of getting rid of some of it, I think "but it still fits and it's still in great shape!"

I do go through their clothes at the end of the season, and get rid of out of season clothes that won't fit next year.

I, too, am a sucker for a great deal at the thrift store, or friends giving us clothes, and we end up with way too much.

You've inspired me!!!! I'm going to get to work on those drawers/closets!

Thanks,
suesue

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I need this kind of limit for myself. I have way too many of most things, but it is so hard to get rid of things you really like. If anybody's seen anything other than the "get rid of anything you haven't used in a year" rule, please PM me with it!!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Our rule is one item in one item out. Since DD is a teenager she tends to gather clothes from a variety of sources including friends and relatives. We all ship outgrown clothes around. But if it doesn't fit in the dresser or closet out it goes.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
426 Posts
when we moved here we had such a limited amount of things we could bring that we really pared down on the girls clothes. Before we moved here they had excessive amounts of clothes (but I barely bought any of them). The thrift stores where my mom lives regularly have $0.25 days and buys them all kinds of stuff.

But what we decided on was 25 outfits in each size. Since they grew a lot this year it was still a lot of clothes, but because of our laundry situation there are times that we get down close to the end of the clothes before I can get clothes washed and dried. And in all honesty it's actually less clothes than that because they are for different seasons as well. I think DD#2 has 8 long-sleeved shirts and we just mix and match with different skirts and jumpers.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My kids all have more tops then bottoms. I figure the other kids at school are more apt to notice if they wear the same shirt on Friday that was worn on Monday, but with jeans it isn't so noticable (sp). My girls I make sure have 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pr of capris, 1 skirt and 4 prs of shorts that fit them at all times. The 2 older ones aren't into dresses anymore but my 2 yr old has 2-3. My son has 4 prs jeans, 2 dress slacks and 4 prs of shorts. They all have 3 tops for every bottom, a t-shirt, longsleeved tee, and a sweater/ hoodie. They also have several tank tops for summer. For shoes they get 1 pr tennis shoes, 1 pr dress up shoes, and 2 pr. sandals in summer. Where we live we don't get much if any snow therefor I don't buy snow boots.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help...I am going to start in the baby's room today. I am going to hit all three kiddos rooms and then I am going to hit the stored clothes...wish me luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
DD has enough for the current season. I like to keep about five bottoms and several tops to choose from. She also has a few dresses and some actual outfits she received as gifts. DS had fifteen pairs of pants at the start of the cold season. I hit a major clearance sale last spring and then I bought him a garbage bag full of like new clothing. Let's just say I don't hurry to do his laundry. So far everything they have fits in their dressers and closets so I haven't considered getting rid of anything. Next year will be a whole other story unless I can hit a decent thrift or consignment sale. Both kids have their own dressers right now, but once the baby gets here one of them will be sharing a room. Obviously ds is the likely one to share since he's younger, but dd does have a huge dresser. How on earth am I going to clothe three kids?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I've got a teen and a preteen. DD is not as much of a clothes snob as DS is. I have never limited how many clothes they have. They both have nice sized closets and they stay stuffed. The only rule I have is if it hung up it is something you can wear in public, if it is in your drawers it is only for around the house. Just off of the top of my head this is what they each currently have (in season and appropriate to wear in public only):
*6-8 pair of shorts
*4-6 pair of jeans
*DD - 3 skirts and 2 dresses
*25 to 30 shirts/tops
*6-8 sweatshirts/sweaters
*DD - 10 pair pf PJs
*DS - 5 pair of PJ pants
*10-12 pair panties/underwear
*DD - 5 regular bras & 2 sports bras
*20-25 pair of socks
We also have a large walk-in that is eight feet wide and fifteen feet long that holds all of the out of season clothes for all four of us.

When they out grow their clothes I send them home with my mom's housekeeper. She takes them to the families at her church.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I don't really have any rules for the kids, I just never buy them clothes. Whatever they get for gifts, that's what they've got. I only buy something if they specifically need it (shoes, bathing suit, etc.)

The little ones share a dresser, 3 drawers each, and when something gets too tight for the older one I just move it across to the younger one's drawer. When she outgrows it, it goes in the freecycle pile. I have some larger clothes put aside for them, I just keep them in those plastic storage bags and write the sizes on them. Usually I add the next size up into the dresser at the same time that I am clearing out the too small stuff.

For my own clothes I use the love it/use it/need it rule. If I can't answer yes to at least one, it goes.

For my teenager, I just stay out of her room. I lost that battle years ago.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
OMG OMG OMG!! I feel like such a failure! :drama:

I have too many clothes, Im sure more then half I dont wear or will ever wear yet I cant part with it so it takes up space in my closets :ack: HELP ME!!!

I dont buy a lot of new clothes, I dont buy from thrift shops, the problem of it coming INTO my closet has stopped. I just need help purging! :( I have a set of casual clothes be it for grocery shopping, visiting friends on weekends etc that I can wear daily and I have a set of business casual work clothes.

I know I need to purge but its hard for me to part with my clothes. Im so scared and I have no one to pass it on to so that I know its going to a good home.

How do y'all get over that feeling that you're just 'throwing money away'?

Plus - what is the suggested amount of clothes to have - for women? (not kids)

Any comments, tips and ideas are welcomed!!!

:bolt:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't help ya LOL...the amount of clothes I just pulled out of the kids drawers is insane. When I purged and put them back in it didnt' look like very much. But 10 pair of pants and 15 shirts is plenty!!! They are all set for summer too. I just buy and buy and buy at yard sales, sales, and thrift stores and they don't need it!! I now have slimmed down so that they can see all the clothes and know what they have to choose from :laugh: I just need a very few things for them to be set for summer....like shoes and flip flops. I will start looking for a bigger size for next winter and summer but keeping an inventory as I go so that I don't hoard too many.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My son is 11 months, as he's growing so quickly that I don't buy that much in each size for him. Right now he has:

-3 onesies
-3 shirt and pant outfits
-2 pairs neutral color pants
-3 tops
-5 PJ's
-8-10 pairs socks

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is one area in which I don't find myself struggling to maintain control. I hate shopping for clothes, even for the kids! That doesn't mean they run around in rags, but we do only the basics.

DS (pre-school): 4 pairs jeans, 1 pair nice slacks, 7 ls tees & shirts, 1 comfy sweat jacket & pants, 3 sweaters/pullovers, 2 sets pajamas, 10 pairs underwear, 10 pairs socks, 1 bathing suit, 2 pairs everyday shoes, 1 fleece jacket, 1 heavy coat, 1 pair snow pants, 1 pair snow boots, 2 pairs mittens, 1 fleece hat & one halloween/dress-up costume for fun.

DD (2nd grade): 3 pairs jeans, 1 pair nice slacks, 1 skirt, 7 ls shirts, 1 comfy sweat jacket & pants, 1 gymnastics leotard, 3 sweaters/pullovers, 1 pink(!) jeans jacket, 2 sets pajamas, 10 pairs underwear, 10 pairs socks, 2 pairs tights, 1 bathing suit, 2 pairs everyday shoes, 1 pair dressy boots, 1 fleece jacket, 1 heavy coat, 1 pair snow pants, 1 pair snow boots, 2 pairs mittens, 1 fleece hat & one halloween/dress-up costume for fun. She also has a few hair accessories to match her clothes.

I know the bathing suits may seem weird for the middle of winter, but my kids are in year-round school, so the rec center does swimming lessons every month of the year.

At the change of seasons, I plan their wardrobes tightly, and purchase only pieces that go together. We try very hard not to buy novelty clothing, and we generally practice one-in/one-out wardrobe management.

As for me, I think that my husband would be happy if I spent a little more money/time on my wardrobe. I'm happy to slouch around in the same pair of jeans and tee-shirt for three days running. Of the family, he has the most expansive wardrobe, but that makes sense as he is a computer consultant and must look well put-together on a daily basis (not that I run around in rags!).

So that's our system. It works for us!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Maybe, but you're not alone ;-) I recently reduced the number of dresses in my closet to 20, and was very proud of the accomplishment. Sad to note, I don't wear dresses to work anymore (chem lab rules) and I had overlooked a closet of stuff in the garage, which had more dresses. I still think more than 20 is excessive - even taking into account different seasons and categories (cocktail vs church vs casual). I can't seem to even BEGIN to defin a target for pants, t-shirts, other shirts, and various other items. And then there are the shoes....

Ok, some of you probably want to flame me about now, and I don't blame you! I flame myself routinely! but OCD does not always involve washing one's hands repeatedly - sometimes it involves keeping things that you know you aren't really going to use - and apparently I've got that problem. I have a tendency to cut off unused pieces of paper down to about the size of a gum wrapper because "I might NEED a piece of paper sometime!" yeah, right! So I do perceive that some of us HONESTLY need a list of limits.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i try to really monitor what DS has he is only 3 and won't be in preschool til fall. he has about 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of nice khakis, about 8 outfits (usually gifts), a bathing suit, 3-4 sweaters, 3-4 long sleeve polos, 2-3 button up shirts, a few short sleeve shirts, 8 or so pairs of pajamas, casual shoes, inclimate weather boots and a pair of occasional shoes/boots. i have a small double rod closet in his room the bottom is outfits the top is separates. then in a hangin organizer i keep socks, underwear, pjs, and bed linens. in another i keep clothes that are too big or off season organized.

i shop the consignment sales and limit myself to outfits or needed pieces like jeans in the next size.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts