Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

5,280 Posts
Greebo just took my old 25 foot soaker hoses and cut them down to fit my 1x8 foot beds and my L-shaped bed in the front. I didn't realize you could buy end caps and male/female tips so easily.

Reactions: IndigoMom

· Registered
1,461 Posts
IndigoMom, I love your coffee table idea. Great job.

Reactions: IndigoMom

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Congratulations Constance...I have (2) 4 BY 12 raised beds that cost around $200...I love them.I do have a Greenhouse now so I'm able to grow veggies I've never tried to grow before..dh has decided that since I wanted a couple more raised beds that he will build me the (2 HIGH) cinder block beds it will be a 4 by 48..I'm so stoked..I think that this will work alot better than my wooden raised beds..Have fun!

· Super Moderator
24,854 Posts
Brenda, I'm going to make some cinder block raised beds, too. I read in the SFG books you only need six inches of soil for plants that are not root crops. I think cinder blocks are nine inches. I'm only doing one row in order to cut the cost of the soil.

I've also put empty plastic cartons in the bottom of beds and extra large planters that were too deep, in order to save money on the soil.

Just some thoughts. :)

· Registered
123 Posts
I did square foot gardening ~ 3 years ago, and then taught my parents and sister how to do it. My garden turned out great, and so did theirs.

Unfortunately, I move around a bit, so I can not do real square foot gardening per se, as everything has to be in pots (live in National Parks.)

But this year we went to Lowes and found gardening soil that was already mixed Square Foot Gardening soil! So happy, so I do not have to mix it myself! It was $15 for 3 cubic feet (I think).

DH and I are moving to the Grand Canyon tomorrow. I have been looking at the forecast and have not seen below 32 degrees, so I am looking forward to doing some gardening this week.

Plus, I do sprouts as well. It is so nice to have the greens in salads and sandwiches.

· Super Moderator
24,854 Posts
Usually I'm not a jealous person. I love where I live. But I'm jealous of living in a national park! Or several. How cool is that? We love the national parks! Where were you before Grand Canyon?

I'll have to look into the SFG soil at Lowes. Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
31 Posts
Try finding a nursery that starts its own plants and see if you can buy vermiculite through them. Plenty of ways to scrounge frame materials instead of buying new - old cement blocks , bricks, large rocks, etc. And, I just bought the latest edition of Sq Ft Gardening, signed by the author, at a Habitat for Humanity Restore for a dollar!!

· Registered
123 Posts
My potted plants and I have been to:
Cape Hatteras National Seashore summer of 2009
Lake Mead National Recreation Area winter of 2009-2010
Canyonlands National Park summer of 2010
Lake Mead National Recreation Area winter of 2010-2011
Canyonlands National Park March & April 2011
Grand Canyon National Park April and onwards 2011.

They have been to quite a few states in between as well :) we put them outside whenever we can. Tonight, although it is windy, will not go below 40 degrees, so they are out tonight. I will see if they are eaten tomorrow.

· Registered
592 Posts
Hi,
The new square foot gardening book has 10 new tips. One of them is NO DIGGING. Borrow the book from your library. Thought I'd let you know that to encourage you. I'm not sure but I thought cedar required taking care of it in some way. My dh made 3, 4 x 4 boxes with just plain 2 x 6 for $25 plus some screws. You make up the frames and fill them with dirt after putting weed block down first. You do need to make them deeper for root crops. Hope this encourages you to join us

Pam
I just picked up the old book from a thrift store. Not sure if my library has the new book.... they didn't last time I looked. Could you possible give a quick down-and-dirty (he he) list of the differences?

And, how do you plant a garden without digging? -- Just lay the seeds on top of the soil and cover with more soil?

Thanks!
~M

· Super Moderator
24,854 Posts
I had the new book from the library and own the old one. I checked out the new one to see if it was enough different to be worth buying, but it wasn't.

No digging means you don't dig out your current dirt to backfill it with new, better dirt, you just make raised beds and put the good dirt inside that. I figured that out years ago so that was a no-brainer for me.

The only thing I got out of the new book was a recipe for "Mel's Mix" for the soil, which I copied into my older edition. I decided it wasn't worth buying a new book. YMMV.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
1. New location - close to the house
2. New direction - up, not down
3. new soil - mel's mix 1/3 coarse vermiculite, 1/3 peat and 1/3 compost
4. New depth - only 6"
5. No fertilizer
6. New boxes - above ground
place boxes on top of the existing ground
7. New Aisles - comfortable width make them 3' wide so you can get around when things start coming in.
8. New grids - prominent and permanent
9. New Idea - don't waste seeds Like this idea alot Would you go to the produce stand and buy 10 heads of lettuce at one time; then why do we plant a whole row to come up all at the same time.
10. new opportunities - tabletop garden

If you need clarification on any more let me know

· Super Moderator
24,854 Posts
I'm sure, Pam. Just sayin'.

The new book struck me as a rehash of the old one, but with the author trying to give the impression there was value added. I didn't find that to be true, but others may. :)

· Registered
53 Posts
Wow. Impressive beds, pretty pics!

I'm more into using what Nature gives me and scrounging. I used boards from oak pallets, tree cuttings or branches, whatever I had around here.
Guess I'm willing to wait a bit for better soil. Mixing together some green and dried grass clippings, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc is what I do. I have an advantage by living in the country, have a few chickens, so plenty of good stuff from them.
We also have a great recycling program where you can get a pickup load of compost or wood chips free. But I just make my own.

IMO, it doesn't need to be expensive if you think out of the box.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.