Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about calculating the cost of things in my angel food box? Find all the stuff at the store and get a % of the store total and then multiply my box $ by the % of each item? KWIM?

I have a recipe that the whole family likes and I want to figure up how much it cost me per meal but I use a lot of what comes from angel food to make it.

TIA

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's a tough one, but your plan sounds like its weighted pretty well. I'd be interested in how the numbers come out on that. We don't have angel food here, no where in WA, but my DD just moved to WV and I noticed they have it in her town. It's always nice to be able to pass on the numbers to someone else, easier to see it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I used to buy them, i also consider it a donation as some goes to provide for the ones who can't pay.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've noticed that since the offerings differ from month to month, it's best not to depend on them every month. It's a great break if you already know what the best prices are on the food stuffs that they are offering. That also goes for the meat and veg. add on boxes.
The fruit and veg have never seemed like a deal but sometimes they seem to score well on the meats.
My husband is a commercial fisherman and some months he sells at cost to one of the individual sites. I wonder if it's like that inland, where maybe there are some good deals on some farm donate food stuffs.
Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't want to just / by # of items because steak cost more than a lb of rice. KWIM?

I did go to the store and get the price of each item. For the regular box I am saving about $20 per box for this months pick-up. I buy 4 reg boxes (that would be a savings of $80).

On the fruit and veggie box, they didn't have 2 items at the store but it looks like I could get a better deal at the store. I buy 1 a month but that may be changing.

I forgot to get the price of items I had on hand for our sweet & sour chicken. When I do I will post our price per meal.

I have a sleeping toddler in my lap or I would get my notebook with the list of items for this month and the local store cost. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry it took so long. Lots going on.

1lb ribeye stake 2.89/lb x 1.5 lb = 4.34
leg 1/4 1.19/lb x 4 = 4.76
beef patties 3.99/lb x 1.5 = 5.99
cheese filled manicotti (closest I could found) about 6.00
pork rib strips 1.79 lb x 2 = 3.58
chicken brest 1.29 lb
ground turkey 2.79/lb
frozen broccoli 1.35
frozen peas 1.75
6ct oatmeal 1.52 on sale
32 oz shelf milk (closest I could find was powdwered milk) 4.43
8oz blueberry muffin mix 1.23
12 ct tortillas 2.09
dry pinto beans 2.29
rice-a-roni 1.57 sale
eggs .68 sale
dessert item (cheapest similar to what we normally get) 2.50
total at the only store in town 49.16 savings of 19.16 X 4 boxes = 76.64 not counting sales tax.

Fruit was about $10 less at the store but didn't get price of 2 items.

The next menu is usally out a week before ordering starts and now that I have started a price book I can better judge the savings if any.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
ansley, I get SHARE which is just like Angel Food. Do you always order 4 boxes? I have a choice of a reg. package, like the one you listed, a meat package or a veg. package. Most of the time it saves me to buy it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ansley, I get SHARE which is just like Angel Food. Do you always order 4 boxes? I have a choice of a reg. package, like the one you listed, a meat package or a veg. package. Most of the time it saves me to buy it.
Sorry, somehow I missed your question until just now. Yes, we always get 4 reg boxes, 1 meat box and 1 fruit and veggie box. I always forget to take that 5th week into consideration. The meat box usally builds up and fills in the 5th week. It is our grocery shopping for the month. We have been doing this for about 1 and a half yrs. We do go to the store for extra milk, bread, spices and etc. I don't know anything about SHARE. I may look that up.

·
19,119 Posts
So fortunate that you have these opportunities and glad that you take advantage of them!!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I guess it's just me but I found that the angel food box cost MORE then if I had just bought the items myself.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I guess it's just me but I found that the angel food box cost MORE then if I had just bought the items myself.
I agree with you Ann.

I found that most of those items are not things that I would normally purchase, so overall, I would be spending MORE than a trip to Kroger.

But I do understand for those in a really small town (with limited grocery store choices) or for the elderly, it would make more sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts