Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparing AFM Aug. box with Aldi's

AFM Aug Signature box $30 Vs. Aldi's prices

1.5 lb. Ribeye Steaks (4 x 6 oz.) -- 7.48 * substitution made Aldi's did nothave Ribeye steak so I subbed Sirloin Steak (walmart didn't have it eiter)

3 lb. IQF Split Chicken Breast -- $5.49* substitution made Aldi's only had Boneless chicken breast ( walmart 5.46 for 3 lbs split chicken breasts)

1 lb. Boneless Center Cut Pork -$3.49
Chops

2 lb. Mac &?Beef Dinner Entrée --.96 cents

1.5 lb. Breaded All White Meat--$2.99
Chicken Nuggets

1 lb. 80/20 Lean Ground Beef --$1.79

1 lb. Bake or Fry Fish Sticks--$1.99
(32 sticks)

1 lb. Frozen Corn --.95 cents

1 lb. Frozen Baby Lima Beans -- .95 cents

1 ct. Cello-Wrapped Iceberg Lettuce --$1.09

2 lb. Sweet Potatoes -- .59 cents* substitution plain potatoes Aldi's didn't have Sweet potatoes ( wal mart had 2 lbs sweet potatoes for 3.78)

15 oz. Pork & Beans --.49 cents

1 lb. Rice -- .50 cents

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk .68 cents* Substitution regular milk Aldi's didn't have self stable milk ( walmart had shelf stable milk for 1.98)

Dozen Eggs-- 70 cents

Dessert -- 1.49 I looked for the price on a box of cookies as that is what we have been getting most recently the price would be higher if I compared a pie)

Aldi's total ( with substituions) $31.63 plus tax
Aldi's and Walmart for what Aldi's did have $36.09 plus tax

Side note: At Aldi's and Walmart you might have to buy bigger packages of the items then were in the AFM box to due sizes sold at Aldi's to get that price. (for comparison I compared oz for oz in price)

Prices may vary in your area These were the prices at my Aldi's and Walmart today

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Does that mean AFM is a good deal or would you say based on this comparison you did just as well by shopping between Walmart and Aldi?I have considered the AFM, but Aldi has pretty good prices on their items.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does that mean AFM is a good deal or would you say based on this comparison you did just as well by shopping between Walmart and Aldi?I have considered the AFM, but Aldi has pretty good prices on their items.

If you are considering only the $ the Aug. month isn't as great a deal as they say it is (if you shop at Aldi's and your prices are similar)

How are prices in your area? If they are more expensive then the $30 box would be a better value for you.

Other things to consider:

How high is sales tax on food in where you live? For us it is around 8% so if the items came in at exactly the same then we would have saved 8% buying the box. In reality it is more than 8% we save being all things equal.

Do you have the extra cash to buy the bigger boxes of things at Aldi's. If you have more will you eat more? That would affect your value.

If your in the store will you pick up other things you may not need thus spending more? AFM boxes might mean less trips to the store.

Is it easy for you to pick up the order (it takes me literally mins. to pick up my order and at my place you don't even have to get out of the car. Drive thru shopping LOL) That is a plus for us.

How picky is your family on items? Will you eat all of the items in the box? My kids use to be picker but now they eat a bigger variety and I cook different things then before we started buying AFM boxes. If we didn't eat everything in the box that would bring down our value. The new variety in the box ( trying new things) has been a big plus to us as now I can take advantage of mark down sales on things I would not have known how to cook or worried that my children wouldn't like. Who knew my kids like sweet potato pie? And would I have ever bought a pork roast? the kids love pork roast, so now I feel more comfortable buying at the store when I see it on sale, I probably would not have bought it before trying it in AFM box.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks for doing the comparison! It verifies what my gut said. It's as cheap or cheaper than I could do at Aldi. The convenience is so worth it to me. An hour round trip driving to Aldi (or any other grocery) or 2 minutes at the church 1 mile away. My family will eat most anything so AF is a good value for us.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have not been too happy with their regular boxes, but I love their produce boxes and thought that just maybe I'd try their FROZEN AND DRY MIX ALLERGEN-FREE FOOD BOX next time. $40is pricey, but not for that type of food if it's a good quality.

Since I buy meat for $1 or less a pound,(rare exceptions over a $1) I think their meat packages are very pricey (for our budget) and I won't purchase those. I just scour our sale ads and find meat that is in our budget. Every week is different and right now stores around here are having price wars . Last week hamburger .99 cents a LB. at one store, and pork ribs .99 cents a lb. at another. This week split chicken breast $1 a lb. and .99 cent a lb. pork chops. Produce on the other hand is outragous!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
When I checked the menu for August I noticed that they are now allowing one to purchase the special boxes without buying one of the "regular" boxes. That is great because sometimes all I want to get is the vegetable box. Most of the time, though I find AF to be a good deal for my family because we live in a high grocery priced area. Our Aldi prices are higher than the ones you listed, which makes it an even better deal. My kids also get really excited going through the boxes to see the new things they will be eating this month.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not been too happy with their regular boxes, but I love their produce boxes and thought that just maybe I'd try their FROZEN AND DRY MIX ALLERGEN-FREE FOOD BOX next time. $40is pricey, but not for that type of food if it's a good quality.

Since I buy meat for $1 or less a pound,(rare exceptions over a $1) I think their meat packages are very pricey (for our budget) and I won't purchase those. I just scour our sale ads and find meat that is in our budget. Every week is different and right now stores around here are having price wars . Last week hamburger .99 cents a LB. at one store, and pork ribs .99 cents a lb. at another. This week split chicken breast $1 a lb. and .99 cent a lb. pork chops. Produce on the other hand is outragous!!!
Cool that the allergen free box now has mixes.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I remember how hard it was to find milk free ones when I had a milk allergic child. Just having that convenience of not having to hunt down stuff would have been a convenience especially when he was a toddler.

I'll have to tell my friend's mom about the allergen free box now having dry mixes. My friend can't have gluten. Her mom wants to help her out (and make sure she eats right since she doesn't live at home anymore) so her mom orders AFM veggie box from the local place of my friend and she picks it up on order day.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for doing the comparison! It verifies what my gut said. It's as cheap or cheaper than I could do at Aldi. The convenience is so worth it to me. An hour round trip driving to Aldi (or any other grocery) or 2 minutes at the church 1 mile away. My family will eat most anything so AF is a good value for us.
Wow an hour plus shopping time compared to 2 mins. That is a real time saver for you.

I love the quickness especially in the winter when it is so cold.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I checked the menu for August I noticed that they are now allowing one to purchase the special boxes without buying one of the "regular" boxes. That is great because sometimes all I want to get is the vegetable box. Most of the time, though I find AF to be a good deal for my family because we live in a high grocery priced area. Our Aldi prices are higher than the ones you listed, which makes it an even better deal. My kids also get really excited going through the boxes to see the new things they will be eating this month.
Thanks for pointing out that you can now buy the special boxes with out buying the "regular box" I hadn't noticed that.

My kids love looking through the box too. My daughter always wants to know what the dessert is so she normally tags along so she can be first to know and then tells the rest what it is. Love it when it is pie.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
That one thing I will say about Angel food that I really like, just how easy and quick it is. I have CFS and ANYTHING to make my life easier is a big bonus. Glad to see that AF now allows you to opt out of the regular box and just get the produce (which around here is well beyond our budget and requires a long trip to a wholesale place. Very tiring) I'm also VERY pleased about the allergen free boxes. We try to eat as healthy as possible for our budget and we have a child that must refrain from gluten so that box is a big bonus for us.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That one thing I will say about Angel food that I really like, just how easy and quick it is. I have CFS and ANYTHING to make my life easier is a big bonus. Glad to see that AF now allows you to opt out of the regular box and just get the produce (which around here is well beyond our budget and requires a long trip to a wholesale place. Very tiring) I'm also VERY pleased about the allergen free boxes. We try to eat as healthy as possible for our budget and we have a child that must refrain from gluten so that box is a big bonus for us.

Glad to hear they had something that will help you out.

I want a full report about the allergen box after you have tried it. Please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We wouldn't eat most of what is in the main box nut I would probably get one of the others if I can. I might check it out again.
I think AF is probably a better deal for those who live in areas where grocery prices are higher. I can do better for less here & it is healthier plus my kids will eat it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We wouldn't eat most of what is in the main box nut I would probably get one of the others if I can. I might check it out again.
I think AF is probably a better deal for those who live in areas where grocery prices are higher. I can do better for less here & it is healthier plus my kids will eat it.
I think that it is great that they said you can now get the specialty box(like the meat box or veggie box) without getting one of the main boxes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, thanks for doing the comparison and posting this! I'll have to check it with our Aldi's prices! I am thrilled to finally know this. We do get the AF boxes sometimes, but if we won't use every single thing, I've wondered if it's worth it. I usually am able to use all of it eventually.

We do have a new grocery opening here called Price Rite, and I want to try it soon, and see what the prices are like there. I've heard it's cheaper like Aldis, but we'll have to see...
Tracy

·
Registered
532 Posts
but if we won't use every single thing, I've wondered if it's worth it. Tracy
AFM is our grocery shopping + a few extra things like spices, more milk, bread and etc. We almost always have 1 or more items we don't use. I give that to my mil or a neighbor. It doesn't matter if it is a head of cabbage one month or an avocado the next or 4 packs of baby back ribs (I think too many small bones for the lo to eat safely). They are always grateful to have it. So, to me it is worth it.

We live in a high grocery area and Sam’s is a 2hr drive away. We save about what they say you will except on the fruit and veggie box. We would save more buying that at the grocery store but not by much. I don't always like what they have but it is worth the savings to us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts