Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MOMS group is donating several quilts at the end of this summer to Project Linus - I am in charge of making a quilt for a teeage boy. I am planning on making a circle denim quilt.

What size did you make your circles?

Also, Constance, you mentioned using iron on stabilizer on your squares - does that make it easier then just cutting squares and sewing them on with an "X" ?

I figured I'd learn from any mistakes you guys made and just follow along! :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I made my circles the size of a cd but honestly I would go a little larger. Maybe the lid of a butter tub. It takes a lot of circles. A LOT! Like 500.

I did not use the stabilizer on the first six rows and I have noticed that it is getting harder to keep things straight. I am interested to hear what Constance has to say about it because I may want to do it with the rest of mine. I have put mine away for a while until I finish some other projects.

·
8,714 Posts
~I haven't started cutting my squares yet but I'll be using cotton knits. I didn't use stabilizer on my cotton knit window quilts and everything stretched strangely while I was putting it together. My circles are the same size as Ann's. I couldn't go larger because I'm working with baby clothes for my inside squares. But if you're cutting from yardage you should definately go bigger! I wouldn't bother with stabilizer if you're using a woven cotton.~

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Is the reason the amount of denim needed is so astronomical, because the style is folded over?

How about just making squares and zipping them together. Better use of material... I think. Plus denim is pretty heavy already and would be fine to be one layer.

I have been collecting denim- and will cut them into squares (I haven't decided on the size of the sq) but I will sew them together in a flatfelled seam the same as jeans are made- this way it can be one layer- and clean on both sides.

Just a thought.
Also, I sew quilts for the Linus Project and I think the requirement is that the material is new- not from used.

I am not 100% sure of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts