Frugal Village Forums banner
281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'd like to join. I've got 26 acres, some wooded some in hay, some in brush...3 head of Dexter cattle, a dozen or so hens, one rooster, a mini donkey, gardens, and fruit trees, and a lot of weeds :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
can i still join this?? i think it's so funny that all of the people outside of this site think of "homesteading" skills as "old/poor people skills". SO not true!!

btw, to the poster in florida about growing berries in containers - yes you can do it! i have family in florida and they do it. their soil is terrible so they plant with store bought planting soil in wheel barrows and in containers that they have set on a board with wheels. sounds ugly, but it's not and since they have plenty of hurricaines there on the east coast they can pull everything into the garage when the weather's bad. they also grow a salsa garden that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sign me up. While we live in a very small town, we can't have chickens or anything but my MIL will let me have some chickens at her place and we are starting on our journey to self sufficiency.

Suzanne

·
19,119 Posts
Love seeing everyone who has recently joined!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd like to join please.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would love to join also.

Suzanne

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd love to join! I can't keep chickens (love that HOA) but I am putting in a suburban "garden" (lots of pots and various flower beds).

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a question.
We bought our chickens last year - I even posted photos of the girls.
I started with 4, 1 died on it's way here and we got a replacement. The replacement really ruled the roost and made the life of one of the other chickens (the leader of the other ones) so miserable that we finally gave her away to friends of ours who have a huge chicken coop. She is now living her life quietly - believe it or not.

We now have 3 good layers. I would actually like to buy a couple of chickens on top of what we have (we have the room for them). Is this a good idea or would be get the same problems as last year with the 'ruler of the roost'? Or wouldn't this be a problem if we bought young chickens who would accept the authority?

I also hope to get our garden started quite soon. Think I will start inside this time since we had late frost last year.

Firstly we have to eat a lot from our freezer since I stocked up on a LOT of stuff recently. However I still have some homemade apricot jam from our own apricot tree in the freezer (it is THE most delicious jam I have ever tasted - others think the same).

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
It is always a gamble adding new chickens. Young ones will be picked on by older ones, but that is no guarantee that the power won't shift later. I've found it easier to add adults to adults, with them living side-by-side but separated for a couple of weeks. Even then, when you add them together, there will be a power shift, but there shouldn't be a huge issue unless you don't have enough space or resources. The breed you pick is also a big factor, as some breeds seem more peaceful than others. I look at it like an aquarium. If you want peace, get tetras, not mollies. :) I like the barred rocks. They seem to get along with everyone.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'd love to join! I can't keep chickens (love that HOA) but I am putting in a suburban "garden" (lots of pots and various flower beds).
I would love to join also.

Suzanne
I would like to join too.Thanks
I like to join too!
I'd like to join please.
I definitely want to join. I raise chickens for the eggs and have a big garden. My goal this year is to fill my freezer and pantry.
I would love to join too!! Pleeeezzzzz?!

wow......lots of action.........Welcome to all the newbies. Glad you have joined.

Here is the link for the challenge if you are interested in that..........hope to see you over there........keeps you motivated to learn new things! :tay:

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums...-2011-homesteading-skill-month-challenge.html

281 - 300 of 327 Posts