Frugal Village Forums banner

Another Doris O'Connell Article Part 2

908 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  QuilterMom 
#1 ·
You should go w/basic white sauce then. I make my own with skim milk. At least I know what is in it.

I tasted some of that Healthy Choice soup at a friends. I about gagged. Guess we are just too used to homemade. Even though it is healthy, it is still real salty

I also keep low-salt broth on hand for emergencies (like the flu) or when I am out of frozen homemade.

I make a vegetable broth mix to keep on hand. Just add a couple of teaspoons to a cup of hot water.

There are a couple of Progresso soups we used to buy, but even those, I only buy with a coupon and on sale.

I buy chicken noodle (when it's on sale) because the kids do eat it and I haven't got them used to mom's soup yet. We're working on that though.

You should go w/basic white sauce then. I make my own with skim milk. At least I know what is in it.

I tasted some of that Healthy Choice soup at a friends. I about gagged. Guess we are just too used to homemade. Even though it is healthy, it is still real salty

I also keep low-salt broth on hand for emergencies (like the flu) or when I am out of frozen homemade.

I make a vegetable broth mix to keep on hand. Just add a couple of teaspoons to a cup of hot water.

There are a couple of Progresso soups we used to buy, but even those, I only buy with a coupon and on sale.

I buy chicken noodle (when it's on sale) because the kids do eat it and I haven't got them used to mom's soup yet. We're working on that though.

I always keep several 1 pizza sized plastic bags of mozzarella cheese in the freezer for emergency throw together meals. Think they will get one of those here tonight. Boboli $1@outlet

I'm going to go back to making the dough & freezing as I can't find plastic bags large enough in food grade to put the homemade baked pizza crusts into.

We do that in the winter a lot. Bread from the bread machine and home made soup for dinner.

White sauce is really easy, I sometimes make my own creamed spinach. Can't believe what they get for it already made in the supermarket. And by making it yourself, you can use skim milk and cut back on the fat.

Shall we go on to meals we can put on the table in minutes?

Just made fresh basil pesto last night. Made it with a vegetable broth base instead of oil, then froze in small quantities for future use. Can add oil to it when I use it, in the amount I want

I can put on a rice & stir fry vegetables in 18 minutes flat.

Stir fried anything: chicken, pork, beef, with Vegas. I take about 30 minutes total (the rice slows me down <g>) :fajitas go faster, though--no rice, but essentially the same meat and vegetables--peppers, onions I thin slice the meat (partially frozen works best) then toss with salsa, stir fry, set aside. Then stir fry the vegetables and pile it all on flour tortillas with more salsa, some cheese

we don't use meat in our fajitas but we do put black beans in them.

I put on a supper the other night in 5 minutes. Hot dog rolls w/black beans in them, w/a chili sauce (meatless) on the top & then added chopped onion, & a tiny bit of grated no fat mozzarella on the top. It got RAVES!!! Got the hot dog rolls 3/pkgs for $1 at the bread thrift store.

did you have to fry your corndogs? I would love to find a baked method

I spray the baking sheet w/cooking spray, put on the soy or corn dogs & then spray the tops of them. Bake & serve. They disappear here fast!

Another quick meal is a fresh vegetable pasta sauce. Takes about as long to throw together as cooking the pasta. Wilt some chopped onion and garlic in a little oil, add chopped fresh or
canned tomatoes, heat through, add basil, oregano, pepper.

What about wrapping a hot-dog in a corn tortilla (or the dough for one)? or a Pita flat around them.

I've made mock stir fry's. Carrot sticks, steamed carrots. Tonight they will go on top of the pizza along w/some slightly steamed cauliflower.

Carrots: could put them through the grater & then freeze them. Would be great in muffins, breads, cakes, etc. even froze some carrot juice for breads, soups, muffins etc. Makes a nice nutritious addition to foods. And the pulp from making the carrot :D

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.