Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Hoping minimal deaths and impact over there.
Hope folks in Hawaii too will be allright and along the islands south of Japan!

Thought are with you!

·
19,119 Posts
DH just woke me up about an hour ago. We are packing to up to my classroom - high up the hill. The pictures from Japan are very crazy. There was a 4.6 earthquake on the Big Island a little while ago. DH commented 'they are talking to each other" - not good. Shall be in touch later. Just think - it was only about a year ago when we were evacuating.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I came here to check if there was any word from MM... glad to see she is awake and in action!

For those of you on the west coast... keep an ear and eye out! Be safe and stay a step ahead!

·
19,119 Posts
Arrived at school - a loooong line of cars parked in front of the locked gates - not sure why they were not open, this is a Civil Defense evacuation place. Anyway - unlocked the gates and the cars started streaming in.

Coffee is made. Bathrooms are good - brought 12 extra rolls of toilet paper - we have our priorities!!

It should hit us in less than two hours. Even though our school overlooks the harbor, because of the time factor we will not be able to see what is happening.

MIL has been moved to higher ground, her home on Kauai is in the direct target zone. Hope her home makes it, when Iniki hit in the early 90's, the home was totally destroyed.

Our home is across the street from the ocean; there is a big hotel in front of us which does provide some shelter, but if it is destroyed, our home will be too. And that is the price we pay for living in Hawaii.

Going to go get some coffee to help wait this our.

·
19,119 Posts
Lady V - just read your post to DH and he wants to know what your're doing up at this hour?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh Thank Goodness Your on the move Mauimagic. I got up this morning , heard this was happening , said prayers immedietly for everyone and thought of you. Please stay safe and keep us updated when you can. I will continue to say prayers for everyone.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
MM - 6am is not that early :lol: I get up, have coffee, watch news, prep for the day before I have to get Diva up. It's my quietly gearing up time.

Glad you made it to the school... I know OldMan and I were talking about stepping up the prepping... yet another reason for the prices of everything to continue to skyrocket,,,

·
19,119 Posts
Not many people up here - just walked around the campus to see if there were any visitors who needed a temporary home. Campus is quiet. Heard there were over 1000 people at the high school at the top of the hill.

The news is reporting that they are expecting the tsunami waves to wrap around all the islands and then push inland. A little over an hour to go.

One of the teachers I ran into on my walk said that she was going up to her classroom to sleep.

....tbc.......

·
19,119 Posts
Depending on what happens - we will be working on our prepping and stocking up too. Hopefully our home will be intact and we will have something to work from.

Gas today was $4.25 tonight.

Reactions: Ramona

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo Russ - shall do. Cannot begin to describe the feelings that I have knowing that there are people out there sending prayers and aloha our way - really helps to be connected!!

Don't think that DD is even aware anything is going on - she'll know where we are - when in doubt - head to the preschool!!

One more hour to go. DH has fallen asleep in my big comfy chair. I'm prepping things for my students!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
My thoughts and prayers to the people of Japan. It is just devastating, I have been watching it all morning.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm on the east coast watching the news. When I saw what was going on I immediately thought of you. Be safe!

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
We are totally safe now. TV just announced that all roads are now closed - as is most of everything on the islands. Now it's just waiting and the craps game of what gets hit when. Sirens are going off again. Very eerie.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.