Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok with NO income I'm beginning to panic just a little!

I really need some HONEST advice as I don't have ANY time to waste. We are going away tomorrow and when I get home I need money! (BTW - as it sounds awful, I'm NOT a materialistic person BUT we do have to eat and pay rent!)

Here's another idea I've had - What I want to know is do you think there is a market for it? - Honestly!

I have lots of expensive software, I've wasted money over in the past, Whole business software such as - This day in history (the day you were born)
Name Meanings (first and second names)
Desktop Publishing etc.

I'm thinking I could make personalised 'things' Like letters for Children from Santa, the tooth fairy, certificates for - Anything, name meanings for weddings, the day you were born for Birthdays, Anniversarys etc. The list goes on........

I could package them (especially for children) with stickers, or crafts, a small toy, etc.

Children LoVE to get letters and I'm thinking this may be a good business to start???? I have NO idea how I would market it or IF it would work and I REALLY need some feedback???

Would YOU buy something like this if it was available? Please give me some honest feedback, as like I said I don't have any time to waste now.

Thanks for listening to my lastest rant LOL - My mind is like a washing machine LOL

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Maybe you could add birthday party themes and ideas for between holidays. You could package the letters in plastic 20 oz pop bottles with confetti, glitter, and little toys. If people are willing to spend $20 to get 6 name suggestions for their unborn baby, certainly you could sell these. marketing will be a big problem though. You might be better off doing flea markets and stuff with your crafts and having these on the side.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i would think you'd have to have a website to show pictures and things, but yes, stuff like this does sell. i know i'd buy "the day you were born" for the kids. (for their baby book) whatever you decide, i wish you lots of luck and keep us posted!! if it works for you, i may have to give it a try!;)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Yes they would sell if you could market them. I bought name meanings for my children for $10.00 a piece for their bdays one year and framed them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sure! What kid doesn't love something with their names on it? I like "the day you were born" idea. I had dh buy the local newspaper on the day my babies were born so they would know what was going on in the world, how much stuff cost. I think that sort of thing is cool.

I'm not too sure about the marketing though- I'd think a website would be ideal- get orders from every where in the world, but to start- maybe an ad in a local newspaper, going to craft fairs. Maybe you could make an assortment of things and get a gift shop to carry your products.

Laura

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Bev, for valenties day I bought my dh a framed 8x10 "love" poster. I guess that is what you call it I paid $24.00 for it framed, BTW the frames were no more than 8x10 frames like Walmart has, you know the kind even tho you probably dont have Walmart, any way. I got to choose the background and it had his name on the left hand side and mine on the right hand side with the name meanings under it. I almost left because the line was so long. I was not frugal with that gift and neither were the other 25 people in that line. It was just in a booth set up at the university. Im sure you could do something like that, just remember LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
From past experience I can say I would buy something like this too. One time DH and I were at a craft show and they were selling the meaning of names and they put ours together on the same art with the date we married.

Check your newspaper for craft shows to attend. You can even try this on ebay...."the day you were born."

Good luck!! I think this will be a great idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bev, you could try to "foot market" your ideas. What I mean is print up a few examples and take to small stores in your area. Create a portfolio. (See if they would do a sort of consignment thing with you. They will sell your items for a small fee.)

Let your fingers do the walking in the phone book- Call wedding planners-wedding boutiques-baby boutiques- card stores- the local daycare centers
Set up appointments to speak with the managers about your ideas.
Or Print up some flyers to post around town.
It will take some time - but shouldn't cost much. It's all word of mouth.
I would start this but concentrate on your other ideas that will bring fast cash
You can do it! I wish you the best!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Bev this is a great idea! I agree with everyone, use the web and the local places Mumbose mentioned. Do you have flea markets or boot sales (I think they are called) where you could display some samples? Just another idea. I also bought a "the day you were born" for my kids for $10 US when dd was born. I think they make great gifts for those who have had babies, etc.

Good Luck Sweetie!
Melody

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes I think it is a wonderful idea and I wouldn't mind being involved if you wanted to do a internet based one- We bought Sierra a name meaning thing threw one of the home mailers for $5 and it prob didn't cost them but .50 to make- definately a profit there. :angel:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I love the day you were born idea, the day you were married, etc would work too. There must be more ideas to expand on this idea Bev, but I have had too many tests this week, one more tomorrow then maybe I can think straight!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I like the personalised letter from santa, tooth fairey, easter bunny idea! love it! And the name meanings things are a fantastic idea! i love that kind of thing. i bet flea markets or consignment stores would be a good start, newspaper ads, and internet too. great ideas. :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
these are awesome idea's! I would definitly buy a letter from santa type thing ...well once ayla learns to read :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts