1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this on yahoo today:

The 11 Scariest Things in Your Food | Yahoo! Health

Castoreum

WHAT IT IS: Beaver anal gland juice. Really. Beavers combine it with their urine to mark their territory.
FOUND IN: Vanilla or raspberry flavoring in processed foods, labeled only as “natural flavoring.”
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:It’s beaver anal gland juice.

Titanium Dioxide

WHAT IT IS: A component of the metallic element titanium commonly used in paints and sunscreens. The food industry adds it to hundreds of products to make overly processed items appear whiter.
FOUND IN: Processed salad dressing, coffee creamers, and icing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:Titanium is a mined substance that's sometimes contaminated with toxic lead. Plus, most white dressings (like creamy ranch) aren’t great for you anyway. Both your health and your waistline will fare better if you go with an olive oil- or vinegar-based salad topper instead.

I've made my cream soup mix for years; made my own chili mix for years & others. Will do more so now.
I quit eating fast food hamburgers when the ammonia marinated ground beef thing happened, not to
mention what all of pink slime "by-products" or "trimmings" actually are. I'm getting pickier & pickier.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
It amazes me the things that are approved for human consumption. Beaver anal gland juice. Ewwww. Just Ewwww. :(

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
And yet we don't have any problem feeding our kids bovine mammary gland juice. :scratch:

I think if people paid attention to where food really comes from, they'd starve. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That's just gross!
I have a book for HM alternatives... I'm utlizing it a lot more these days of scratch cooking.. but wow! yucky!

And Contrary... very true... if we really new...

I think a lot of people chose to be ignorant about it. I know I am when it comes to eating poultry. I can't eat a poultry that looks like a roasted chicken or it's body parts. I can only eat it if it comes in the form of a deboned and skinless chicken breast in a package. I really should be vegan.

·
2,688 Posts
saw this on yahoo today:

The 11 Scariest Things in Your Food | Yahoo! Health

Castoreum

WHAT IT IS: Beaver anal gland juice. Really. Beavers combine it with their urine to mark their territory.
FOUND IN: Vanilla or raspberry flavoring in processed foods, labeled only as “natural flavoring.”
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:It’s beaver anal gland juice.
So how do they harvest this product ?
They have beaver farms ?
Beavers are few and far between in the wild.
I find this product not to be believable.
How would they get enough of this juice to make it cost effective ?
Just because you read it on the net, does not make it true. SIGH :(

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
So how do they harvest this product ?
They have beaver farms ?
Beavers are few and far between in the wild.
I find this product not to be believable.
How would they get enough of this juice to make it cost effective ?
Just because you read it on the net, does not make it true. SIGH :(
Here is what snopes has to say about it.

snopes.com: Castoreum

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
reminds me of the joke - A guy wants to impress his girlfriend, so he cooks her a fancy gourmet dinner.

"What are we having?" she asks upon arrival at his house.

"Beef tongue" is the reply.

"Yuck - I could never eat something that came out of a cow's mouth. Why don't you just fix me something simple - how about an egg?"

·
2,688 Posts
Here is what snopes has to say about it.
snopes.com: Castoreum
Okay, BUT......I still want to know if a beaver farm does exists....I just did a google search for one and did not come up with anything
that would tell me where a beaver farm would be located.

I found this......
Let us just think about this for a moment!
How much of this substance does a beaver produce?
How do they collect enough of it to be commercially viable for someone to farm beavers? [that is if it is possible to farm beavers].
Just how do you collect this substance from a beaver?
And, that is subject to the beaver willingly co-operating.
Is it possible to obtain enough of this substance to make it a viable alternative to the original flavourings?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Okay, BUT......I still want to know if a beaver farm does exists....I just did a google search for one and did not come up with anything
that would tell me where a beaver farm would be located.

I found this......
Let us just think about this for a moment!
How much of this substance does a beaver produce?
How do they collect enough of it to be commercially viable for someone to farm beavers? [that is if it is possible to farm beavers].
Just how do you collect this substance from a beaver?
And, that is subject to the beaver willingly co-operating.
Is it possible to obtain enough of this substance to make it a viable alternative to the original flavourings?
I was reading about that can't find the link right now. But you have to kill the beaver and the caster gland is dried and the used. Said it is very profitable for trappers.

Not the one I was looking for but here is a link that shows how to do it. It is very graphic so people who are queasy at seeing guts might not want to look.

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/beaver_castor_removal.html

I found the original one I read

http://www.nafa.ca/7047

·
2,688 Posts
Thank you for that trapper website. Interesting. I am going to give that url to my son. I bet he will find that interesting.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Ick. As a kid I always went for the red hard candy because it tasted so good. You know like rasberry! Always avoided any green candy. If I only knew.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Haggis is just sausage. It's no more or less gross than any other tube shaped meat in the supermarket.

I learned to make it fresh years ago. It was quite tasty, if I do say so myself.

·
Super Moderator
19,755 Posts
I'm not sure what to think about this beaver anal gland story, to be honest. It's not like there are herds of beavers around everywhere. We live in beaver country and even drive by a couple of different beaver dams and lodges routinely and rarely see one. Beaver trapping is regulated here, and I'm sure it is in other states, too. Considering how many foods this article says this stuff is in, where is it all coming from?

I wonder if there isn't some kind of synthetic reproduction that they're able to claim is a natural ingredient because of how it's made. Or something. It just seems like using wild beavers wouldn't be a reliable enough source for huge food corporations to depend on, and I don't think they change their recipes lightly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts