Frugal Village Forums banner

Another School Shooting

4K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  annymoll 
#1 ·
I am so sorry for the families that have lost loved ones today at VATech, and those that have been hurt. When will it ever end? :(

#2 ·
It's scary as hell to think about it, isn't it? I remember the Columbine shooting well -- I was in high school at the time, and was sick at home that day. I watched the whole thing on TV and I remember crying when I heard about the born-again girl who died because she admitted she believed in God. At my school, the jackasses came in the next day wearing long black trench coats, trying to be "cool". I was so angry when I saw that. The principle hauled them all into the office and took their coats and sent them home.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there.

Yes, I agree, it is sad to hear about. And it's just starting. Do you remember last year, how there were three or four school shootings back to back? It's sad but true, I expect more.

#6 ·
It's scary as hell to think about it, isn't it? I remember the Columbine shooting well -- I was in high school at the time, and was sick at home that day. I watched the whole thing on TV and I remember crying when I heard about the born-again girl who died because she admitted she believed in God. At my school, the jackasses came in the next day wearing long black trench coats, trying to be "cool". I was so angry when I saw that. The principle hauled them all into the office and took their coats and sent them home.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there.

Yes, I agree, it is sad to hear about. And it's just starting. Do you remember last year, how there were three or four school shootings back to back? It's sad but true, I expect more.
Yes, I remember. I cried today. I have a DD in in a small JR/SR Highschool and she was home sick today. She expressed how this kind of thing really makes her worry about going to school sometimes. It makes me worry for her too.
This is one thing that has changed a lot since I was in high school. I never heard of school shootings and school was, for the most part, a safe place to be. Now kids don't know if they are going to come home alive, but we try not to dwell on this. It shouldn't be this way in our country.

#3 ·
There are sick people out there and it's a shame, I hope the families who lost a loved one in this tragic thing will be able to cope. It's so sickening to know that there are people out there like this. They are saying this is the Deadliest single shooting in U.S. history.

#5 ·
I was also in high school during Columbine--I think I was on a trip with my orchestra at the time. Our high school used to get bomb threats and they'd excuse anyone who wanted to skip school that day.

Shootings like this are particularly frightening because it's just a rampage on anyone. Usually when I hear about a murder I'm not too afraid because the killer and victim often know each other and something has happened between them. But in a case like this you could just be in the wrong place and be killed.

I am truly sad for the VA Tech students that died, their friends, and their families. I will never understand killers like this.

#7 ·
Shootings like this are particularly frightening because it's just a rampage on anyone. Usually when I hear about a murder I'm not too afraid because the killer and victim often know each other and something has happened between them. But in a case like this you could just be in the wrong place and be killed.

I am truly sad for the VA Tech students that died, their friends, and their families. I will never understand killers like this.[/quote]

I totally agree.

#8 ·
I was sickened by what happened in Virginia. I have a sister that lives pretty close to there. There are so many crazys out in the world and with the government cutting aid to hospital that help people with mental disabilities we are just setting me out in the street. So many people fall thru the cracks. I immediately starting praying for those families when I heard what happened. My heart and soul go out to those involved in this horror....Blessings...Kathy

#10 ·
I can't see anything changing until the Constitution changes (ie all Americans have the right to bear arms). Guns are just too accessible for you in the States.

After the Port Arthur massacre here in Australia (anniversary comes up on 28 April), the gun laws were changed. Nobody is allowed to own a gun unless you are a licensed member of a gun club (pistols) or a farmer (single load rifle and shotgun). No semi automatic weapons without rigourous background checks, and absolutely NO automatic weapons whatsoever.

Our State Parliament today has put forward the motion to completely ban semi automatic weapons of any kind - based on what has happened in the States.

These laws may not stop black market trade of illegal weapons but it certainly reduces the likelihood of every Tom Dick and Harry popping down to Kmart for a rifle and a few hundred bullets because they have had a disagreement with their Maths teacher.

Unless there are serious amendments to the Constitution, don't think anything will change.

#12 ·
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Please keep in mind that the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS is NOT the same as the RIGHT TO KILL PEOPLE. The Constitution was written in at a very different time with a very different social standard. We had no army at that time. We needed a way to protect ourselves from external threats. This is one way to keep the budding Nation protected. Militia (being capitalized) refers to what we would now consider our armed forces. Our armies, navies, etc. keep our Country safe. And this is what the Constitution was aiming for... keeping our Country safe!

Are guns too easily obtained? OH YES. Does everyone who owns a gun kill people? No.

Changes to The Constitution will Not make it more difficult to get illegal weapons. Do I think there is a need for guns to be on the street? NO!
Is there any reason for anybody to have a semi automatic? NO! Do I want the US Government to be the only one with weapons? NO!

Context is everything. Just a change in the Constitution will not change the social environment that leads people to think they can commit such travesties.

Ceashels

#14 ·
I was so sad when I heard of the shootings. I kept thinking of the parents of everyone who attends that school. Can you imagine how frantic they had to have been to hear if it was their child who was killed or injured.
I cannot imagine that kind of terror.

#16 ·
I hope this incident doesn't give other crazies any ideas. Some people who are really deranged would like the publicity of notoriety even though they lose their life in the end like this shooter did. They like the idea of being a legend.

#17 ·
I think it is very sad this happened. What we have is a different set of cultural ideas. I understand the shooter was Asian. Not to bash- my ex husband is Japanese and my children half. The thing is there is a culture stress different over a broken up relationship than here in the US. Today we have a hook-up culture where people bounce from partner to partner. If you come from a culture where being jilted has serious reflection upon you as a person- you will react differently. Let's not all jump to "Ban All Guns" and "Lock Down Everything".
Having lived overseas (both Asia and Europe) it is different. When we were in Isreal, the threat of being blown up because of a suicide bomber was real but didn't paralize us. Again, different culture, different reactions.
I do like the idea of conceal and carry laws. Our airlines now have air marshalls. A terrorist will have to take his chances- is there one on his flight or not? Same for other terrorists in other situations here- and that is how I feel about this shooting. His intention may have been something totally different, but the reaction we are having is the same- this is senseless and we hurt for the families and we are scared for our own.

#18 ·
i just watched it 2 minutes ago and it said it was the same gun , not sure it was the same person. I bet it was.
My heart goes out to the families who lost someone in this sad tradgedy.

#19 ·
I so agree with Ceashels and Kabin 63... The gun itself is not the problem, it's the idiot that has the gun. Also not matter how many laws we have to try and keep guns away from people if someone wants a gun bad enough they will still get it.

#20 ·
This does sadden me. It makes my heart ache for the parents.

However, banning guns does nothing but take guns from honest citizens and makes it harder from them to obtain/keep their weapons. If criminals want guns, criminals will get guns.

I am interested to see if this man had a legally registered gun.

#21 ·
This is very sad but it makes me wonder...why is this happening now? As far as I know, stuff like this just didn't happen 50 years ago. What are we doing as a culture to provoke these things in people?

#23 ·
It is such a tragedy. I saw some of the coverage yesterday and I am watching more updates today. I pray for strength and comfort for those families and friends of the victims and also for the injured. One of my fiance's friends just got a job as a Professor at Virginia Tech for this coming fall.

#24 ·
Well, guns don´t kill, people do. But if people can get guns very easily, it is easier for them to kill. There is always going to be crazy people, mentally ill people or angry people. It is easier to eliminate guns than people. Guns are dangerous. Guns don´t make anyone more free or safer. I would hate to send my kids to school if these kind of shootings took place here.

iida

#25 ·
Eliminate cars( Lots of damage on a school playground to plow into) baseball bats,knives,( put someone on a crowded subway or have a whacked out bus driver with these and you have damage) All pills( from putting in food in the school cafeteria.) So on, and so on.All these things make it so easy to kill too.

#26 ·
The Bible explains why this is happening at 2Tim.3:1-5.
This is very sad, but also just a glimpse of what our creator sees everyday.
Just another reason why I chose to homeschool.
Prayers go to all the hurting families....

#28 ·
I agree with your comments. Constitutional rights are sacrosanct. But Constitutions are working documents and are constantly being amended and upgraded to reflect the unique circumstances and changes facing a country. Our own Constitution has been amended on numerous occasions (native title, for example) and I feel that as a nation we are quite different today than we were over 100 years ago. If we had retained our Constitutional laws without any amendment, we would be a completely backward nation. A third world nation. The world doesn't stop just because your nation doesn't want to progress any further. So we had to change to remain competitive and prosperous.

The problem as I see it, is that once a right (I actually view gun ownership as a privilege, not a right, and yes, I legally own guns, running a farm) is given to individuals living in a democratic state, then it is extremely difficult to take that right away, again because you a living in a democratic state. Democracy doesn't always work when there is a true crisis - it is too slow a process to handle crisis.

Nothing will change in America.

#29 ·
I also agree with your comments about guns not killing people. People kill people. However, guns are a very convenient way of killing large groups of people and pretty much anyone can shoot a gun. My concerns are about the AVAILABILITY of guns in the US. And yes, it will be interesting to see if the guy yesterday carried a licensed weapon. How are licenses granted in the US, anyone like to explain? Does each State have its own unique licensing laws, so that the laws in Alaska, for example are more lenient/more strict than those say in California?

#31 ·
Yes annymoll but I view guns as a privilege, not a right. You won't be seeing me stamping my feet and crying "Foul" if the government turns up tomorrow to take them away for the good of the nation. I have other ways of defending myself, and my children are being trained to defend themselves. Also owning a gun isn't going to stop me getting run over by a car. I don't see guns as solving the self defence issue.

By the way, our guns are used to shoot a) foxes b) rabbits c) extremely evil tin coke cans so we can save ammo on the foxes and rabbits. Also, if we don't shoot these animals, the local rural lands protection board can prosecute us for not controlling feral animals on our property. So I suppose you could call me a reluctant gun owner. I honestly wish I didn't have to own them.

#32 ·
As far as I know the shooter had a green card. He had been a resident alien since 1992. I feel so bad for his parents. Apparently they run a dry cleaning buisness and are quiet upstanding people. The news is reporting that the young man left a very disturbing note in his room. Irregardless it is a huge tragedy all the way around.

#33 ·
All I keep thinking about and this may sound strange but I can't get past the fact that these students and teachers got up yesterday, got showered, got dressed and then got killed. I keep thinking of them before this happened and not necessarily after. They probably even thought it may be a good day for them, an early class maybe some free time after that to catch up on some studying or catch up with friends. I just can't get past that.

My heart is breaking for all of the students, the professors, their families and the alumni. They have been showing a lot of alumni on the news and this has hit them really hard too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.