Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Of 1,000 U.S. adults surveyed, 69.4% said they’re considering replenishing a current stockpile of groceries and other essential products as transmission of the Delta variant increases, Inmar said in the study, released this week. Forty-six percent have created a product stockpile in response to coronavirus, and 12% of those that haven’t done so said they now will stock up because of the Delta variant. Another 32.8% said they’re not sure if they will build up their supplies. "

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have been having my dd to pick up groceries and house hold products for me because she only get what on list and if i go i see things that i think i might use later and get it home and wish i hadn't bought it. I never sent after any thing the last two time she called and ask if i needed anything i have so much in freezer and pantry i need to use up before i add more for winter.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I stockpiled a lot for last Fall. I ended up donating 1/3 since the dates were for this Summer. I've kept items with 2022-2024 dates and items that would remain good.
I'm on the fence about stockpiling.
I'm probably more concerned about losing power/electric than anything since we would be ok for a while with food.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have been using my stockpile...haven't done a large grocery order since May. I think we will be okay until Sept. My freezer is getting empty. Don't want to stock up too much with that cause of hurricane season....I love grocery shopping so this has been hard for me....I go online and make grocery lists and add and delete all the time.....they must love me...Kroger usually deletes them for me but HEB lets me carry it over for months and months....

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured most of the people here would be in the 'replenishing' group as opposed to the "creating one" group. I'm trying to use up the frozen vegetables, while stocking up a bit on pantry staples. Not expecting a big crush like there was last year, but have noticed that store shelve STILL have not returned to full "normal" capacity in my area. Our food and supply chains are still fragile.

I plan to stock up for Thanksgiving starting in mid September.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'm just refilling and filling in gaps here and there. I think the media creates shortages to put everyone in a frenzy. I really stocked up on toilet paper 4-5 months ago. I haven't bought any since, but will probably go back to buying one 6-pk every other week just to keep my shelf full. When it's full again, I won't buy any. Let's just say I have enough to get through another crazy rush on TP. Last year I started to panic because I let my stash get too low, but it came back just in time.

I think I'll start looking for pumpkin now. I just need 3 -4 cans. Two pies and a couple batches of muffins. But I remember one year you couldn't find it anywhere. Almost didn't have pie that year.

I was shopping last week and went into the walmart market and the shelves where so empty. I have a feeling it's because they can't get people to work. There were two guys in one aisle restocking and they were barely doing anything. Pallet full, but they were moving pretty slow.

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
when I was at the grocery, I stopped in the pharmacy dept to look for fluoride mouth rinse. The shelves were almost empty in that area. I had bought some at CVS and wanted to compare prices. Good thing I got 2 at CVS.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm not changing my practices any. It's served me well for the last decade. Even during the height of the supply issues last year, anything we couldn't get was easily done without or supplanted with something else.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
We bought some products early in the pandemic that we don't normally eat. It has been hit or miss. Some were good, but I also have food on hand I feel very meh about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a month old thread, but I thought I’d ask how everyone is doing one month later? It’s fall here on Canada’s East Coast - our normal time to stock up. My freezers are full, my fridge will be full this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving), and i’m working on my cupboards.

I’m a bit nervous about the full freezers. We live in hurricane territory and have no electricity backup. Hubby has lived here 1 1/2 years and doesn’t think it’s necessary. The hurricanes usually turn into post-tropical storms by the time they reach us. But once every five or so years our area gets hit by the real thing, and old timers are saying real hurricanes are becoming more frequent.

I’ve talked with neighbours and have worked out a deal with a couple of them. i’ll provide free food after 4-5 days, if they cook it to share! I just don’t want good food to go to waste. They all have generators to keep freezers cold, and BBQs to cook on. Hubby thinks it’s all just ludicrous!

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RedSpruce, I'm keeping my freezers as full as possible. Meat prices are still high, but I'm buying on sale or when marked down. Just about done with the frozen vegs I wanted to get rid of. I picked up 3 turkey breasts already. Thanksgiving week is always crazy anyway. Still not expecting the shelves to be wiped clean like last year, but I forsee global supply issues through to next summer. The problem is much larger than getting a truck to your local store. So I buy duplicates of pantry items, because it may not be available next time.

Not too worried about fresh vegs and fruits being available, even during the winter. Got plenty of canned goods, beans, rice, etc. We won't go hungry.

Would like to have a generator (tornado alley, here) but haven't convinced DH yet. We also get wicked ice storms, but it's been a long time since power went out for more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Contrary Housewife, I figure we’ll be fine until after New Year’s. Then the freezers will be low again and the frozen vegetables will have disappeared. I’m going to need another 3-6 months of food to make it to the next harvest after that.

Unlike you, I haven’t stocked my pantry with canned goods yet. Truth be told, we don’t eat a lot of canned foods because of the additives and preservatives in them. If I buy organic they are very expensive.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unlike you, I haven’t stocked my pantry with canned goods yet. Truth be told, we don’t eat a lot of canned foods because of the additives and preservatives in them. If I buy organic they are very expensive.
We don't normally eat a lot of canned food, on a daily basis we much prefer fresh vegetables and fruit. However, I find it handy to have a few tins of peaches for baking, and mandarin oranges are good on a winter salad. I keep tomatoes and beans to add to soups. I use canned coconut milk for curries, and last year it vanished from local shelves, so I was very glad to have it on hand. I need to put away a few more cans of that for winter.

I've got a few cans of corn, green beans, and beets, but those are for emergencies. Most of my pantry is dry goods like cereal, pasta, rice and baking supplies. I've also got pickles, jam, and spreads I've preserved myself. I understand about wanting the best quality for your budget. I stock the pantry one sale at a time. I hope you're able to find more of what you need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for some ideas Contrary Housewife! :) We find some of the canned goods taste, well, like metal. That’s often why I don’t buy them. But I do like peaches and mandarins in the plastic jars. I’m just not sure what their shelf life is and how healthy they may or may not be! They are also more expensive here than the regular tin can versions.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I am like you CH except no canned veggies except corn and tomatoes. Some fruit cups for dh lunches. Spoiled here always fresh available or prefer frozen. I have stuff though we would eat like frozen fruit..probably totally freezer burnt at this point. I fell in some extra stocking but still using it up. Really depends where you live for stock and here so many choices at the moment. Thanksgiving this week so ham sales!

Red Spruce..I think a generator is a good idea if you lose power enough. The neighbours would know. Other coast so no hurricanes but we do get bad wind storms. I know we don't lose power much ..the most 10hrs or would be an excuse for dh to get one lol but we do have flashlights, candles, some solar batteries. but a few years back there was a bad storm and there was lots of people who didn't or lived in apts .. so many it was hydro company fault they lost all the groceries they just bought..endless while people were working non stop to fix things and they all went to the mall to charge cells.

funny thing we discovered there is split between us and neighbours on the left ..we are on different transformers. Few years ago lightening strike took their side out fried all his electronics dvd tv etc and he came over for help and we were like what are you talking about? we maybe had a flicker? how we found out totally separate and only maybe 20ft apart.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts