Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Other things I've realized I need: spaghetti sauce! I'm totally out! I do have things like crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and tomato sauce, but I'm not always up to making my own pasta sauce, especially at the last minute.

I could also use more ketchup, more BBQ sauce, and more teriyaki sauce. Again, these are things that I do know how to make when I have to, but I'd really prefer not to have to make them from scratch every time I need them (especially ketchup).

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You can expect that as we get closer to the holidays that the scarcities will become more evident. More people are going to have big gatherings this year. People are already stocking up, stores still have limits on sale items. And I don't expect the sales to be as good as they have in the past. Some manufacturers are cutting promotions to discourage people from over-buying. Remember, it's shortages of packaging (plastic and cardboard), labels, cans, machine parts, etc. not just the inability to get food to market. I believe it is more imprtant than ever to know how to cook, because the processed stuff is really hard to get on shelves right now.

Reactions: rujerro

·
Super Moderator
20,218 Posts
We overbought last yr, before there were vaccines, because we didn't have curbside pickup yet then, and didn't want to be in a store at the height of the cold, flu, and covid season. We still have lots of food left from that. I've been watching ads like always, and not seeing big shortages here. Some things are slightly harder to get at times, but nothing I would describe as a scarcity here yet. The only thing we have trouble getting consistently is white whole wheat flour, but that's always been a problem in our small local stores. Prices are going up, though some staples things seem to have the same sale prices as usual.

We don't buy a lot of processed foods, so maybe that's why we're not seeing shortages. We have seen open shelf space at times, but items are rarely completely sold out.

I've heard seasonings are getting HTF. I plan to buy some next month, and I'm curious if the shortages the newsies are in a panic about will actually materialize before I go. Last fall I could not get dill seed. What a shocker (not) at the height of canning season, like that's never happened before.

I think climate change is a far bigger threat to our food supply chain than the covid disruptions, but the news doesn't seem to want to make that a priority.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I haven't seen the spice aisle empty just yet....But we have items that aren't available (hams and turkeys, whole chicken)...I'll pick up water and paper items as I remember. I'll try to look at poultry too. I'm debating on getting one of those ham roll thingies since ham steaks are out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
20,218 Posts
I wonder how much of that is regional. I think one or more of the big processors have strikes happening now, too. We've seen good supplies here of ham, bone-in ham steaks, and turkeys and turkey breasts lately. Don't know about whole chickens. Of course, things can change.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts