Frugal Village Forums banner

another vacation at home this year

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  VanVivCam 
#1 ·
Due to the rising cost of gas, no travel plans for us again this year. We vacationed at home last year and actually enjoyed it. I'll be off from work for a week as soon as school lets out and ds and I will spend our time gardening, relaxing, enjoying our town, and such. He's been asking to go to a beach, so we may take a day trip.
Anyone else staying home this year? What do you enjoy about NOT travelling?

#2 ·
We will be home this year. I am taking classes over the summer semester, that makes going any where hard. The mini breaks I have between semesters the kids still have school. The most we will do is a couple of day trips to the beach.

#4 ·
No vacation for us either, with gas costs it just isnt worth it to drive anywhere, I can find better ways at home to spend that money.

#6 ·
Well, we WOULD be staying home, except that my parents are taking both my family and my brothers family and all our kiddos to Lake of the Ozarks for a week. They are paying for the condo, and knowing my parents, they'll pay for lots of our entertainment as well. We live about 4 hours away, so while they all have to pay to fly, our family will drive. So while we have to pay the gas money, we don;t have to fly or rent a car, or pay for a hotel, so it's about the only way we would get to take a vacation. Then later in the summer, my kiddos and I will fly to visit my parents in WA for a few weeks, but, my parents gave me a big airline credit they had that was going to expire, so it only cost a few hundred dollars for 4 tickets.
So, yes, we get to vacation, but only cause my parents are great!!....AND NOT FRUGAL!! :)

#9 ·
we will be at home, my DH will still have classes in summer, i think we are planning a day trip to dutch wonderland or sesame place but thats it.
we bought a tent last year so maybe DS and DH can have a backyard sleepout

#10 ·
We're vacationing at home this year too. I actually planned this BEFORE gas went up, but after propane went up!

My kiddos think going to a local park or school playground is great fun, so we are really lucky! So, our "vacation plans" include: going to the playground, going to the beach (which also has added a spray park!), going for ice cream, and going for McDonald's! Our time at home will be spent camping in the back yard, tending our vegtable garden, and staining the house and playfort. Wait, that's not vacation-like, but it needs to be done.

Enjoy, everyone!

#12 ·
We'll be home this vacation as well. Due to several factors, we live on a tiny farm with sheep, chickens, ducks and a vegetable garden.

Normally the Dutch will drive (with half the population) to the south of France. We have done that once, but I just hate the fact of standing for hours in a traffic jam with your 'neighbour' and upon arriving on the camping site standing next to him/her again for 2 weeks. Then when driving back you'll be again in a traffic jam............you'll be more stressed when you get home than when you left.

So, we are hoping for a nice, warm summer.

#15 ·
We will be doing a lot of camping at the lake that is only about 15 minutes from our house. We also have a pool so lots of swimming. Hopefully, a lot of lazy summer fun days close to home. :sun:

#16 ·
I am not sure what we're going to do yet. If we do stay home when dh is off, I want to have actual plans. Otherwise it's not much of a vacation for me since I'm here every day as it is. Add the kids and Dave, and it's the exact opposite of a vacation for me when they're here making all sorts of mess!

#19 ·
We are going to stay at home too. We live in Helsinki, a city by the sea, so we propably will enjoy some park concerts, beaches, all kinds of happenings, market places etc. If we are extremely lucky, we will be able to take a ferry to Stockholm, Sweden.

#20 ·
Wow! I'd love to go to Stockholm (being Swedish myself), hope you get to go! We will be home all summer except for one week when we visit our families (who we miss terribly!) in California. Got an awesome deal through Southwest Airlines, $59. each way. Probably couldn't even drive there for that price.

#21 ·
We are trying to knock out our debt in two years so there will be no vacations for us. We do have a cabin at the lake we will be enjoying and a boat. Although gas is soooo expensive, I doubt we will be running around on the lake like we did last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.