Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were given my husband's grandmother's wedding dress, circa post Civil War era. We also have a hat from my grandmother, the kind with the netting veil that comes down over the eyes, and her dressy silk black gloves. I'm guessing this is from the 1940s. And we have my flower girl dress from my aunt's wedding, from around 1950, along with the matching crocheted bag for carrying the rose petals.

We want to do something with these to preserve them and to display them.

Any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg? :feedback:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Our local dry cleaner does preservation...

I think this involves professionally dry cleaned then put into a acid free box to keep the air away.....

I don't know how much it cost's but it may be worth it to keep them in good shape.

JMHO,
leezza

·
Registered
264 Posts
If it would be me I would look into having the items mounted under glass and displayed on a wall. I think it would be an awesome display. Just make sure you inquire on how to do it safely so you don't damage it. May be worth it to have a profession do it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
My husband made a box for displaying a child dress that I had. He took a large picture frame that I found at Goodwill $2.00 and made a box out of scrap plywood about 4 inches deep. I covered the back piece of plywood with a material to complment the dress. We stapled the fabric on. then we mounted the dress with T-pins, also added a pair of shoes and a pentent. You could fold the dress if you didn't want something really long. If you wanted it long you'd have to buy woodtrim for the frame part. The most expensive part was the glass that we bought for the frame.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas. Thanks. I hope the preservation costs aren't too much, but I won't hold my breath. Appreciate your time and ideas. The frame idea is intriguing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts