Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate ants. I was sweeping the porch trying to figure out where all the dirt came from. I've been doing this forever it seems. Well I bumped the siding and out fell all thses little black ants. So I hit the siding again and more came out. So I put out some Terro. This stuff works every where else and really takes care of the ants. This time it didn't. the ants are suppose to take it back to the nest and it kills the ants. My question is ....Is there anything else short of taking off the siding that we can do to get rid of them? We havenew windows to put in but we don't want to replace siding until the house is paid for in two years.I have visions of the wood falling apart under the siding. Any help would be great. TIA

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Are they big enough to be carpenter ants? They get between walls. Bad news

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they aren't carpenter ants thank heavens just wee little black ones. I really hate to have to have someone come in but if it comes down toit I will. Thanks guys

·
Registered
525 Posts
im in the same boat. lil wee tiny bugger of ants.i find them on my kitchen counters. i clean and clean and there they are. i keep all the foods in containers. just last night i opened a packet of jello and there they were! i have sprayed chemicals n such but them damn things just wont go away.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I had to get the bugman out for my problem..........I also have a neighbor with a ton of roaches so I am having them come out ever 10 weeks, since she is moving everything aroud in her house. Its gross
Fern

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Cornmeal for ants right? Does that work with carpentar and sweet ants?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Fern, if you don't have pets boric acid works for roaches. I've heard of people building new construction where they put it in walls.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have used in for the tiny brown ants that haunt my kitchen. I had them poring out of the light socket. They live in our house. I haven't seen them since . We used to call them "piss ants". I guess that the same?? sorry to be so classy. I have recently seen carpenter ants in my house.I am getting nervous. I let them spray the front. I hope it didn't drive them in.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
It must be just the right weather for them this year. I have an over abundance of them too. :vamp:

I am going to try the cornmeal thing.....had never heard of it. The liquid soap things works......for outside. They won't cross it....I have used it on my porch. But who wants a line of soap in the house. I have used lots of the 'ant powder' outside this year......they are everywhere. :fight: But I have not only the tiny ones.....but carpenter ants that I could have thrown a saddle on and rode!!! :grrr:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have the big black ants are those carpenter ants? They love my bathroom?

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I have used in for the tiny brown ants that haunt my kitchen. I had them poring out of the light socket. They live in our house. I haven't seen them since . We used to call them "piss ants". I guess that the same?? sorry to be so classy. I have recently seen carpenter ants in my house.I am getting nervous. I let them spray the front. I hope it didn't drive them in.

We had them at the house his mother had before she died that we got stuck with. We had Orkin come out because we saw ants inside and out. Coming up out of the drain even. With carpenter ants they have to put their chemicals below ground level to give full effect. Had to dig more than a foot to do this. A foot deep and there were still more than hundreds. If you are sure this is what they are get a professional and get it taken care of. Just spray won't do it.
When I was growing up I lived with grandparents and we also had piss ants. What a pain in the ***. I think they are named that cause they really have a tendency to piss you off.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah we bumble bees too. I had to take my dh to the hospital last week. He bopped his head and got a concussion. While we were in the room waiting on the doctor he got stung with a bumble bee. Pretty bad when you go for one thing and end up getting stung. lol. You're right about the soap thing. I don't want a line of it either in the house. Kinda like the cucumber peel thing. I don't really want rotting peels in my house. I will try the cornmeal though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We're having a horrible time with the little bitty ants in the new house. There everywhere. Its a constant battle to keep everything cleaned off with the animals. I use the terra but will try the cornmeal too!

Debbie

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have a bad time with ants only a certain time of year. I put those ant traps that are round and you push the holes out in the sides and they go in and that has always gotten rid of them. They sell them at hardware stores and I'm sure home depot and lowes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Our bug man told me to spray windex or window cleaner with amonia on them to kill them and find the nest and saturate it. Also if you know their path put baby powder down, they will not walk through it, safe for kids.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm just waiting for all your ants to be cornmeal resistant.LOL I don't want you mad at me. Yeah cucumber.that the other thing. Mycat would play w/ it and the dogs would eat them though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts