Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems most everyone has a banana bread secret to keeping it moist.
What's yours?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
vanilla yogurt

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If I told you... it wouldn't be a secret :whistle:

okay... okay... mayo

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sour cream or vanilla yogurt. I sometimes use applesauce in place of some of the oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1/2 cup of Raisins, and 3/4 cup of vegetable oil instead of marg/butter.

the ladies I work with are always asking me to bake and bring it in, and it's so moist, it doesnt need butter or anything on it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
More bananas than the recipe calls for and when it is still slightly warm, wrap the loaf in in foil to seal in the moisture.

·
Registered
583 Posts
no secret here

Just overly ripe bananas .. i mean the black narly looking ones... mushed up frozen .. then brought out when its time to make banana bread.

I have yet to have non-moist banana bread.

Also because the bananas are soooo ripe they have converted a lot to sugar so i half the sugar in the recipe i use.

·
Registered
587 Posts
3 overly ripe bananas. :ban::ban::ban: That's my secret. I have yet to bake one that is not moist. My 2 boys and hubby (ok, me as well) eat that whole thing in about an half a day.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Yep, over ripe bananas it is, black actually! :eek:

I think I posted a recipe some time or other. I call it the Banana Man's wife's recipe, because our neighbor was a delivery man (fruits and vegetables) and would bring home the 'bruised' fruit. His wife shared with my Mom and also shared her recipe for Banana Bread. BEST I have ever tasted. :D

·
8,714 Posts
~I also use extra banana and applesauce in place of some of the oil. Personally, I use bananas that are speckled, not black. The black ones taste fermented to me. I also bake in a glass pan.~

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also prefer speckled vs. black bananas. I use peanut butter for half the oil too. Yum! Throw in a handful of milk chocolate chips too!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My Banana Bread Recipe

1/4 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

3 or 4 large ripe bananas (I often freeze my bananas once they get ripe)

1. Preheat oven to 350'F
  2. Mix margarine with sugar & eggs.
  3. Mix flour, salt and baking soda together & add to sugar mixture.
  4. Add mashed bananas.
  5. Pour into a greased and floured 9x5" loaf pan.
  6. Bake for 60 - 60 min. (I continue baking until I can stick a sharp knife in and it comes out clear).
:tay:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Wrapping shortly after removing it from the oven and using super, super ripe bananas.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
(taking notes) More ripe banana's, raisins, veg. oil, applesauce. Thanks ladies. ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I also use 3 large very ripe bananas. I have never had a complaint yet and it goes in record time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I also substitute applesauce for any fat in the recipe and sprinkle a handfull of mini chocolate chips into the batter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts