Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a lot of daycares will accept children up until the age of 12. I'm not certain about many daycares as far as disabled children are concerned, hence my post.

I have been wanting to get back to work for a long time now. I can't do this or go back to school because DS11 will turn 12 in August. I'm pretty much stuck at home at that point unless I can find a way for someone to care for him while I am not around.

Does anyone with a disabled child know of any daycare setups that do accept disabled children over the age of 12?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ask your son's doctors or therapists if they have any suggestions. Maybe a babysitter that will come to your home.

Can your son go to public school? Is that an option?

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

·
Registered
689 Posts
I Googled the Calgary area...looks like a niche market to me. There seems to be adult and child disabled day care, but no teen day care. If I were you, I'd google it and make a lot of phone calls or start my own day care.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Do you qualify for respite services? I do respite care for a family with a disabled grown son that lives with them. I can work up to 15 hours a week and come to their home. Since they are both retired, they usually go to the store, out to lunch or just get some housework done.

Reactions: MomToTwoBoys

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have to check on respite services. I know we don't qualify for governmental help since he's still being sponsored for permanent residency by DH, but I'm not sure if respite services would be included in that.

I'll call social services and see as well.

He goes to public school during the week. The care would be for before and after school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts