Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both are boys are older 16 & 21 so making a craft is not going to be something that would be appreciated.

Recipes maybe? I'd like to make something special, but steak or anything with a high price tag is just not in the budget. I really need something that will WOW him and not WOW my budget.

Also

I need a FIL gift. Same thing though, the budget is extremely tight. I just want to find something for both that has lots of meaning and heart. I know there's got to be something I can do, but I'm just drawing a blank.

Thanks

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Do you really need a FIL gift?

I usually just write a thoughtful note or buy a card.

You and the kids can make something special for dh and it doesn't have to be steak..... Something that would be a surprise and not routine in your house....

Maybe strawberries and cream in your room, later. :D

Play his favorite song and make a card for him that he can choose what days he wants and a back rub or a foot rub. Expires soon. :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Dh and I are having both sets of parents over for brunch. Brunch recipes are generally budget friendly. I'll probably make shirred eggs with a herb garnish, toast, a plate of fruit and some sort of cake. We bought each dad a subscription to a magazine of their interest but you could also just buy or make a nice thoughtful card. Good luck!

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Guys like food. Make him his favorite cookies or brownies, or a big cake. Have a cookout in his honor.

Give him the gift of time off. Make him a coupon for a weekend of fishing, or a Saturday at the car show, or whatever his interest is.

Appreciate him. Let him know how much you appreciate the work he does to support the family and what a great father he is. Initiate sex.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Guys like food. Make him his favorite cookies or brownies, or a big cake. Have a cookout in his honor.

Give him the gift of time off. Make him a coupon for a weekend of fishing, or a Saturday at the car show, or whatever his interest is.

Appreciate him. Let him know how much you appreciate the work he does to support the family and what a great father he is. Initiate sex.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
DH was easy to buy for this year. I finally figured out his niche.

I got him Supernatural's First Season box set on DVD. :D

We're also BBQing him some kabobs with Caesar salad and garlic toast, plus having a cake. The kids are going to make him a card. Then when the kids go to bed, we're having cuddle time. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I make a couple of pumpkin pies for my FIL for Father's Day and his birthday(AUG). He can eat one now and freeze the other one. He LOVES pumpkin pie but only would have it at Thanksgiving dinner.The cost for a couple of pies was around $5:)

·
19,119 Posts
Russ - roll your tongue back in your mouth please!! ;)

Polly - I'm hearing a little bell here that's telling me that you may - just maybe - expecting too much of yourself for giving this Father's Day. Of course you want to give WOW - you are a WOW person - I bet that there is something in your pantry that you can put together to make a great dessert for you DH or FIL.

As challenging as things are now - cannot ignore that there aren't extra funds - this won't last forever. I second the idea of writing thoughtful notes or letters (all of - sons too) telling these men exactly how important they are in your lives. This sucky time of financial challenges gives us all the opportunity to focus on what is important - and that's the poeple in our lives. Honor them and honor yourself too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I agree...food!! We are taking DH to lunch with a gift card that was intended as a Christmas gift, but 7 months later was never "claimed".

Also, if you want something sorta sentimental, a picture of DH and the kids when they were small in an inexpensive frame would be nice.

·
19,119 Posts
Unique is always - interesting to say the least!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I vote for a hm treat - candied nuts, spicy nuts? Something HE loves to eat and is something that he doesn't get often and this time, would not have to share. :)

Was also going to suggest a hm voucher for things - back rub, foot rub, you cooking his fave meal, watching his fave show/sports with him etc etc WINK WINK. A '5 voucher booklet' in which he has one 6 months or 1 yr to redeem these that way its not all on the one mass marketed day. :)

Last suggestion - if you can - find a really old pic and frame it to surprise him. A funny memorable moment, a sentimental one etc Frames are avail at the $1 store right? A reprint (if digital) is under $1 or if you have the capability, print one off from your comp at home.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I am SO laughing at this thread!! I love my dad tons.... I really do, but these sort of days are SOOOO not a big deal in my family (don't know why, never have been, epescially as a kid...Valentines day, anniv, you get the gist)

so anyhoo - my dad will be singing my praises and considering himself blessed to get a text from me. LOL

gotta say: as much as I may not love Contrary Housewifes final suggestion: it'll be much appreciated in my house!! and free to boot!! :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a lot of thought on all the great suggestions. I decided on a homemade coupon. I found a template online where you can fill in the blank and then print out. The coupon reads, Good For One Sensuous Massage, Followed By One Very Happy Ending. I figured given all the stress he's been under he'd appreciate being able to cash it in whenever he's feeling the need for extra attention.

Knowing what he'd love to do more then anything is going to the Chinese buffet, I decided to do my own Chinese buffet at home. I'm going to pull out those ribs I've been saving and make Chinese spare ribs, fried rice, and cream cheese wontons (no crab) or vegetable eggrolls.

The rest of the day I plan on keeping the kids quiet so he can get some well deserved afternoon ZZZZ's.

FIL is going to get a Reeses peanut butter cup bouquet. I found the idea on another of the father's day threads. Nothing he likes more food wise then chocolate and peanut butter, and making it into a bouquet is much better then handing him a bag of peanut butter cups.

·
19,119 Posts
Polly - those are such great ideas!! Congrats on solving your own challenge and inspiring others too!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I'd share the website where I got the template to make your own coupons.

Just scroll down, you can pick one already made or get really creative ;)

Free Printable Love Coupons

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo Polly - that's a good one to save for Valentine's Day too!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hate shopping for DH - He is soooo hard to buy for...ugh.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My make my step dad crock pot apple butter. No real recipe just peal and slice apples put in the crock pot with cinn and sugar to taste and let it cook on low until its done (sometimes more than 24 hrs) I also sometimes cheat and just get the really big jars of applesauce and cook it that way.

I then put in hot jars with lids and seal for him to eat when he wants.

Cheap and tasty.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Josephhgoins, do you process these in a water bath or do you just seal?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I make sure to use hot jars, lids, and applesauce, so they usually seal easily.

If you havn't canned much, I would suggest 15 or 20 min in a water bath.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts