Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other frugal jews out there?
Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I'm not Jewish, but we attend a Jewish congregation, so know quite a few. Our rabbi is welcoming of Gentiles, so I "feel" Jewish. Yes, they are frugal! Food items I would have thrown in the trash are saved, for example. Juice leftover from communion is always put back in the jar for next week.

I still have lots to learn from them. On the flip side, they are also very giving people.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not Jewish, but we attend a Jewish congregation, so know quite a few. Our rabbi is welcoming of Gentiles, so I "feel" Jewish. Yes, they are frugal! Food items I would have thrown in the trash are saved, for example. Juice leftover from communion is always put back in the jar for next week.

I still have lots to learn from them. On the flip side, they are also very giving people.
That's wonderful you go to a jewish synogogue. If it's not too personal a question- Why is it you haven't converted since you attend anyways?:jug:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi
I am orthodox Jew and happy to be so. Although I gotta say I get a leetle uncomfy when we are speaking Jews/Thrift...it veers a little close to say a website for Asians only having math puzzles cuz gosh are those people good at math. That said...
I have been a member here oh I don't know ////years.
I have 3 children. 1 reg, 1 Special Needs, 1 undergoing eval ...
We keep Kosher on a very tiny budget...and hey I know my apples..as far as thrift goes. We would have genteely starved if not for me...
I am thrifty out of neccesity but..I gotta say. I get a million dollars and I am not consume consume...We are seriously into simplicity and giving back to people and realizing that we have enough for our needs and thats ok...
I have tons of Yontif tips/shabbos food tips etc... Would you like to share??

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
I am orthodox Jew and happy to be so. Although I gotta say I get a leetle uncomfy when we are speaking Jews/Thrift...it veers a little close to say a website for Asians only having math puzzles cuz gosh are those people good at math. That said...
I have been a member here oh I don't know ////years.
I have 3 children. 1 reg, 1 Special Needs, 1 undergoing eval ...
We keep Kosher on a very tiny budget...and hey I know my apples..as far as thrift goes. We would have genteely starved if not for me...
I am thrifty out of neccesity but..I gotta say. I get a million dollars and I am not consume consume...We are seriously into simplicity and giving back to people and realizing that we have enough for our needs and thats ok...
I have tons of Yontif tips/shabbos food tips etc... Would you like to share??
Leahmom-
I just saw your response. That is wonderful you are able to keep kosher and stay on a budget. I live in rural area so when I buy kosher foods I have to either drive hours or have it all shipped here so staying kosher is hard on a budget for me.
How do you do it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
kosher on a budget

Hi
It is fairly easy if your vegan or...you have readily avail meat. I've done it both ways. The first- heavy into lentils/beans/cheese...very thrifty and healthy. Tons of veggies.. Our budget at that time was 100.00 a month for food for 3.
Now we have 5- 1 with protein absorption disorder needing..you got it tons of meat of which he will actually absorb the protein of a 3rd of it.--Now.
I stay on Budget with chicken. One actually. I have a huge stockpot.
I use eggs, Peanut butter,cottage cheese, cream cheese,youghurt for protein choices.-lots of eggs. Buy 2-5 dozen a week.
I buy one chicken..
and here is what I do
Fri- Matzah ball soup (Large) with noodles
Sat- Rewarm Soup
Sun- Pick chicken and get 4 c. meat so Sun night is chinese food night (Egg Foo Yung with Chicken and Rice - 1c, meat
Mon- it is Chicken pot pie - Use 1 c. of broth from soup thickened and bag frozen veg. 1 c. Meat
Tues. It is back to Chicken Fried Rice- 1c. meat
Wed- Ah the beauty of it all. Chicken Croquettes with you guessed it the remaining 1. c. of meat.
thur- Topsy Turvy night- read Pancakes and Eggs/potatoes..
And then here we are again on Fri.
I bake Challah using 5 lb flour. Nets me 3 challah loaves and 3 dozen Cinn Rolls for Fri Snack and Sat Breakfast.
Oohhh & my Cholent is always a small handful of meat with beef soup cube, carrots, onions. potatoes and the wonder food- Barley.
I will bake a loaf of bread everyday. Snacks are baked goods and popcorn.
Lunches are again, sandwiches and homemade cupcakes with Yogurt-or sometype of cheese and Fruit.
It is doable.
oh yeah Manichevitz and candles...
It can be done, its not easy but hey most of our traditional recipes are wonderful for cost cutting...

Leah

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ooh, Leah! I don't mean to take this thread down a rabbit hole.....but I **love** Cholent(never knew how to spell it before). My boss is Orthodox, and ex-dh's coworker is Sephardic(ultra-orthodox)....and we've had Cholent at both of their childrens' bar/bat mitzvahs!! YUM!!! Our friend lives in Teaneck, New Jersey, which is a very large Jewish community...schuls(sp?) in every neighborhood within walking distance.
I'm an Evangelical Christian, but I love Jewish culture and history. Oh, and to answer another question....I assume that the previous poster is talking about going to a Messianic Jewish congregation(since she mentioned communion...I could be wrong and she can correct me). Also very popular in the NY/NJ area.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooh, Leah! I don't mean to take this thread down a rabbit hole.....but I **love** Cholent(never knew how to spell it before). My boss is Orthodox, and ex-dh's coworker is Sephardic(ultra-orthodox)....and we've had Cholent at both of their childrens' bar/bat mitzvahs!! YUM!!! Our friend lives in Teaneck, New Jersey, which is a very large Jewish community...schuls(sp?) in every neighborhood within walking distance.
I'm an Evangelical Christian, but I love Jewish culture and history. Oh, and to answer another question....I assume that the previous poster is talking about going to a Messianic Jewish congregation(since she mentioned communion...I could be wrong and she can correct me). Also very popular in the NY/NJ area.
You're right, I didn't notice the communion part. Must be Messianic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts