Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total gardening addict. I have way too many plants. When we have an occasional cold snap here in SW FLorida, or a storm is coming, my house looks like a jungle when I have to bring them all in.

I'm going to try to get rid of some of them, because I'm trying to get out of Florida, so I can't grow them where I'm going. Anyway, I'd really like to start fresh with an unmade yard and make something out of it.

But in the meantime, I'd love to chat with anyone who is totally addicted to propagating and growing plants.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I love to garden and hope to have a huge one this year.
I love veggies and flowers. herbs going in window boxes this year
Hope to see you join our sister site Homestead Garden.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I did just join the sister site! I just noticed the link on top. I'm gonna love it, I'm sure!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mmmmmmmm, gardening. I'm renting right now, so most of my dreams have to remain just that....dreams. However, I am going to make a foray into container gardening this year. Of course, there's still two feet of snow on the ground right now, but you can't be too prepared. I'm already waiting impatiently for the greenhouses to open.

Jade, do you have any pics? I love to look at other people's gardens.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Well it looks like I've got to send out an invite to come to our place. We have a great garden up here in Bradenton. In fact on May 12th we'll be having an all day garden party. Come on by.
If thats not a good day come by before hand. We have lots and lots of plants. DH is the new president of the Gulfcoast Plumeria Society so we have an next amount of these. Like 200 different varieties. Some from as far away as Austraila and Singapore. Just returned from Ohau with a box full of new cuttings. 90% of our vacations take place visitng some garden somewhere.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laurie...May 12 is a ways off, so I'm sure I can plan for it. I love plumies! I only have two, a generic red and tutti frutti (just a baby still). I gave away the "unnamed pink" that was given to me. I saw in a friend's yard that she had a brug growing up with her plumie. The brug blooms in the winter, the plumie in the summer, so it works out well. I put a brug baby by my big red one, hoping that it will work out that way. We'll see.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Laurie, I LOVE Plumeria's!! Everytime we go to Hawaii I wish I could have one in my yard. We are in Northern Calif, too cold here in the the winter for them I think??

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I wish I knew how to garden, lol I cant garden if my life depended on it, I envy you ladies :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Okay regarding plumies! We ship them as far north as Canada. They grow there but in pots for ease of moving inside and out. Drawfs do best as they don't get big fast. We've got some in the ground here that are over 18 feet high. We also under plant ours with burgies! Have several different varities of them also.
Jade you don't have to wait til May anytime is fine. In April we'll be home most weekends so feel free to come on by. Or any evening after 4pm we love to share our yard with others.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can plumerias grow totally indoors, or do you have to move them in and out? What sun requirements do they have? And where in Canada do you ship to?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i am a gardening wanna be. i've had pretty good luck, but i am definitely not a professional. Just willing to get dirty and try new things.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
As long as the weather stays above 50 you cn leave them outside. Below that you need to bing them in. The milky sap starts to move at about 50 degrees. The more direct sun the happier the plant regardless of indoor or outdoors. If inside turn the pot every couple of days to prevent bending. The plant will lean towards the sunlight. We have shipped to several different areas in Canada most of those folks either have them in hot houses or in wheely pots for ease of movement. (Wheely pots either pots with wheels on them or planters with wheels.) It also important to remember that a newly planted plumie may take up to two years to bloom. They spend the first year developing a roots system so no blooms. Patience will be rewarded in future years. In the early spring and early fall warm water waterings also help. The longer the chill is kept off the happier the plant.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm starting my first garden this year. I actually have a yard now, so I'm looking forward to planting.
I've overdid it already though...I have 72 seedlings for different varieties of heirloom tomatoes :surprise: I didn't think they'd all take...oh well....I'll make a lot of friends this year....

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I love to garden. We have a huge veggie garden and I have flower beds around my house. It is so fun and relaxing to have your hands in the dirt and then to see the rewards of a delicious veggie or a beautiful flower :).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bvilan, I did the same thing. We were just able to build raised beds for the garden and I planted wayyyy too many seeds. I got a jiffy starter set that had 72 pots PLUS another one that had 32. I had sugar snap paeas and tomatoes galore! There are only 2 of us and I ended up with about 20 plants. I did not think that all my seeds would sprout either. Now, if only my watermelon seeds would do that good I would be very happy.

·
4,028 Posts
I moved into a home that had a raised flower bed on each side of the yard... I ripped things up and out and now have a 4ftx30ft area for my veggies. I'm starting to take over the other bed and have plans to make the primary bed larger by another 2ft in width and 10 ft in length. I have never had any luck in container gardening for my veggies. :( So I need more room!

My veggies choices this year are lettuce, spinache (these are in a large 1ftx8ft box) potatoes, brocoli, green beans, peas, tomatoes, and a zuchini. I might try a spagheti squash if there is room. We'll see! LOL

If things do grow well, my next learning curve will be canning. I have tried blanching and freezing my greenbeans and brocoli but they thaw very soggy. I might be over blanching them. :(

Good weather wishes for the gardeners out there,
Ceashels

·
Registered
17 Posts
You'd better believe it! I've been gardening since I was old enough to walk. I prefer heirloom plants both for their heritage and the fact that they've not been genetically modified to do anything other than what they would normally do in nature.

I also write on gardening for several websites and my #1 plant is the tomato. I LOVE TOMATOES!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm a gardening addict (can't you tell by my screen name? lol!) I Love to garden. Front of the house, back of the house, inside the house (houseplants). This year I didn't do so well with Toms (but from what I hear on other websites other people has the same problems). I also planted baby carrots, beets, peas, peppers, cucumbers, radish, onions, lettuce, strawberries (didn't do so well with them either - the Japanese Beetles got to them before I did YUCK!) I'm in the process of ripping all the dead stuff out and tilling up the soil and adding more in preparation for next year. I'm planning on building a Cold Frame. Last winter I had a dozen or so Plastic Milk Jugs out in the back yard and they looked rather strange so this year I think I'll go with a Cold Frame. I also have plenty of flowers and shrubs and just planted a blueberry for next year. I'm looking forward to chatting with my fellow garden addicts here on FrugalVillage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts