Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered how many people here have guns in their home?
I was raised with guns in the home, but don't own a gun. I was taught to target shoot and have shot several types of guns.

·
27,948 Posts
Yes we do. We too have several kinds, ranging from pellet & BB to shotgun and 22. My kids were tought to respect firearms at an early age.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
We have a couple, a shotgun that is dh's and a rifle that is our oldest sons. We were raised with guns around us, both dh and I have hunted and we want our kids to learn how to respect guns. Next year ds#1 will take a gun safety course and then 2 years later, dd.

Canada does have gun registration, although its pretty messed up right now. Dh has the gun ownership registration as well has gun ownership registration.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
My dad used to have a hunting gun, when I was young. He went hunting with my uncle for years. I have always been very afraid of guns...once my uncle was joking around and pointed at another uncle, thinking it was empty, something like a few minutes later he accidently triggered the gun and it missed the other uncle...:eek: We were all screaming...My uncle NEVER joked around, ever again...

So, to anwer your question, we don't own a gun. We don't even own a bbq griller...lol I'm so afriad of things explosing...

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
We have an antique pistol that belonged to dh's grandfather. We do not hunt but our oldest dd has taken a gun safety course. I do think that all children should be taught to respect firearms.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Yes, we do and they are locked away in a gun cabinet. The boys were taught early to respect them. DH has 2 for hunting. One for him and one for whichever son he takes out that day. Then the boys have pellet and BB guns that are locked away as well. DH also has his dad's pistol that was given to him when his dad passed away.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
We have a hunting rifle and an antique pistol, that belonged to my dfather. So much for the "southern gun culture" myth, I don't even know how to shoot.lol

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I too was raised around guns and we were never allowed to touch them if my Dad wasn't home. They never had gun safety classes when I was young. I remember once shooting my dad's rifle, I had to use a fence to help hold it up and I ended up with a bruised shoulder. I have not shot a gun before or since. We do have a 22 in the house now, but I haven't a clue where the ammo is.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
No guns, no need :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

·
DebbieBob
1,692 Posts
Yes my hubby is an avid hunter. But he keeps his collection in a locked gun cabinet!!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We don't have one. I shot competition as a teen, but choose not to have one in the house. This isn't going to come out the way I want to say it, but I don't trust my dh to act responsibly with a gun. So then the kids would not learn the correct way to respect firearm either. Therefore, for us, no firearms in our home. I do miss competition though somedays.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We don't have any in the house. DH hunts with his Dad so he keeps his guns at his Dad's house. We have never even discussed it, he has just always kept them there in his Dad's gun safe.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Dh and I both were raised around guns.Steve use to hunt a lot as a teenager but hasn't since we've been married.
All guns are locked away.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have several guns - one of which is mine (a shotgun used for deer hunting). In our old house we had an entire room that was locked and the guns were kept there. However, when we moved to our current house, we bought a proper gun safe and all firearms and ammo are kept there. Our weapons are used only for hunting or ridding our yard of the occasional pesky (meaning dangerous acting) raccoon!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We have several guns- rifles, shotguns, pistols. We only lock them if we're expecting company with small children. (my kids are 19, 16 and 13)

I learned to shoot at age 8 - for survival. We hunted for food and that is what we still do. We wouldn't starve now, but it supplements our food and we eat what we kill.

All of my kids have been through the gun safety classes that are offered frequently in our area for free. Dh even took it once, just to learn what they were teaching and make sure we weren't missing anything.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We have 5 here, all rifles. As soon as ds is old enough (not sure what age that would be), I want dh to teach him how to use them. I'd rather him know we have them and know how to use them and know how dangerous they can be instead of hide them from him and come home one day to find there an accident because he didn't know they were real and was just fooling around.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Dh has two hunting rifles, locked up.....he hasn't hunted for years...I was never exposed to guns at all, I am very frightened of them, and would prefer never to own a hand gun....but I feel that we must retain our constitutional right to bear arms:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
DH and I were both raised around guns but do not have any in our home. He doesn't hunt (neither do I :) ) so we really don't have a need for them. My dad was an avid hunter and when "in season" he did not lock them up, but we knew better than to ever touch them, 1. they weren't toys and 2. they weren't ours. That was enough in our household.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I agree with Melissa, I wouldn't keep one in the house for the same reason.
Funny story:My grandparents had been tavern and business owners and when they retired they surrendered all but one of their guns-a small one that my mother had carried when she did their bank runs. I always knew it was in their house, and I always knew where the amo was. When my grandmother died and my mother moved in with my grandfather I told her that the gun was still in the same place as always, but that I had move the amo, grampa is not always thinking at 100% so I didn't want him to be able to get to it. Mom looked puzzled, but said ok, about a year later she calls me freaking out that she found thje gun and that my grandparents promised her they had gotten rid of it yadda yadda yadda...I swear she never listens when I speak!!:bang:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
We don't have any guns now, but both of us were raised with them. My dad was a hunter and we ate much better because of it. If we lived in a nasty neighborhood, I would own one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts