Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this month in Mother Earth News they had a couple articles on people who make their own cheese. Just wondered if anyone had done it and how the cost compares to purchasing ready made.
Thanks in advance for your replies:lhat:

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
DW developed an interest in cheese making. I've helped on occasion, and we've made a few mozzarellas, and we tried to make a Monterey Jack, but ended up with more of a cheddar taste with a feta texture. (Long story)

Sadly, I can't report on the *cost*, though the mozzarella is very easy and only requires the rennet, enzymes, and whole milk.

Reactions: larabelle

·
4,028 Posts
http://www.cheesemaking.com/ is where I got started. The mozzerella kit is $25 and makes about 30 batches of cheese (approx one pound per gallon of milk). Milk in my area is about $3.10 for a gallon of 2% and most blocks of cheese are $5-7 per pound. So as long as milk is fairly affordable it is cost efficient.

Note to Self: it is time to start planning on making some hard cheeses for the winter time

·
Registered
254 Posts
I purchased the kit about six months ago but I haven't made any cheese yet. I also saw that article in Mother Earth news (love that magazine) and that has sort of inspired me to give it a try, so when I have a free afternoon some weekend I think I will test it out!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi! I make mozzerella all the time. It's simple and quick (about 1 hour) and cost effective because it only uses one gallon of milk. Plus I like the flavor of fresh mozzerella. I have tried cheddar and jack cheese, but it is not cost effective (unless you have a milk cow). It takes about 3 gallons for a batch, takes at least 3 months to age and takes ALL day in the kitchen, plus daily turning for weeks. I haven't tried cream cheese or feta yet, but I think they're pretty easy and may be cost effective. I would check out a home cheese making book (library?). Also, leeners.com is one on-line store that sells cheesemaking supplies, and they also have some good info and instructions.

I am going to keep making hard cheeses, but only for gifts. I like to make Christmas gift baskets with various HM food gifts. This year I will be adding cheese and mustard.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hubby read the article in Mother Earth News and when he's finished the magazine, I will. We are both wanting to give it a try.

We are planning to co-op a milk cow with my brother in law, so this should reduce the cost greatly and allow me to avoid buying most dairy products.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have made Ricotta cheese. The easiest to make. I also love the Mother Earth Mag. Sometime I do want to make some Mozzerella but right know I just make the simple stuff. Cream cheese and farmers cheese is next on my list to do.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I make motz and ricotta often (weekly or so) and I make butter as well.

I have tried cheddar and although I love making it, it is labor intensive.

If i could, I'd make all my cheeses. I just need more room.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Reactions: larabelle and suki

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that if you go the Mother Earth News site, they are offering a one year subscription for $10 if you pay by cc/debit card. Or you can pay by check for $14.95. Seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
If i could get a good price locally, I'd go to a dairy to specifically get my cheese and butter milks there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts