Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started making jewelry. And found that I really enjoy it. Right now I make just make sort of dressy necklaces.

Anyone else here into jewelry making? Let's talk. Maybe share some hints and sites.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I don't have any tips, but I would love to start making more. I have a co-worker who sells wuite a lot. I just need some money to get a bead stash. (drool)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimberly,

I use the money from my change jars to buy bead stuff.

I went to a networking meeting for women and made $24 about 3 weeks ago. I sold the items at $8 a piece because they were easy and I am trying to get the women used to seeing my face (and my jewelry). I used the the $24 to buy more beading.

Just start small. You will be o.k.:)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I only make "soft" jewelry, mainly for kids to play dress up.
I make quilted satin or lame' chokers, or crocheted/beaded items.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sunshine said:
I only make "soft" jewelry, mainly for kids to play dress up.
I make quilted satin or lame' chokers, or crocheted/beaded items.
Soft jewelry sounds interesting. I used to have a small cameo (fake) that I pinned to a piece of black velvet because I saw an actress wearing one. I don't remember how I tied or fastened it. Can't remember. Would that have been called 'soft jewelry'?

I love the sound of a quilted satin choker.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I suppose that would have been classified as soft jewelry-- although it's kind of a mix.

I use some beads in my crochet projects to add sparkle and interest.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I'm really into beaded jewelry. Took a bunch of classes several years ago, and I do still make a lot of earrings and necklaces. I usually just give them away as presents. I see a lot of local artists selling their jewelry at privately owned little stores, so that is a possible avenue. I assume there is a commission fee involved, but I see jewelry in everything from yarn stores to used book stores. I have been thinking about designing some eyeglass holders and checking out the bookstores myself! ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a ton of beads and things lol

Always wanted to know how. A friend of mine had a beadnecklace company for nursing mamas, and made a good $$ on it.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Once you learn the basics (and there aren't that many), you are limited only by your imagination. Most beading magazines include a printed course in bead basics in each issue, and I also look at finished jewelry and figure out how they attach one piece to another that way. The biggest problem is the cost. If you use sterling silver wire, it can be pricey. Base metal is not that expensive, but a lot of people don't want to wear it if it isn't gold or silver. Beads can be REALLY costly, but one of the necklaces I made that gets the most compliments was made with plastic beads and nylon beading filament!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I dabble in it. I have done mothers bracelets, necklaces, earrings. Nothing too extravagant. Just stuff for myeslf, family. Just to please myself really. Withthe kids I can't really do much. but once ds 2 is older I will be able to get into it more. But now and then, when he's taking a good nap i pull out my beads and supplies and get beading. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey,

I took a beading paid course at my museum and was hooked.

Madhen is so right about the cost. I would only use sterling or gold wire for my own jewely, but have not done it yet. I mostly use beading thread for necklaces. I often go to second hand shops because they sometimes have great old necklaces. Even if they are ugly the beads may be pretty. I take them apart and use the beads, and other findings to make a new necklace.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Cockatiels and finches!! :) I have two Gouldian finches, currently also sitting on eggs. Also, two mini-macaws, an African Grey, and two budgies. (And lots and lots of chickens.)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
If you are into detailed work, you can also use seed beads to make some really nice bracelets. I use seed beeds, with some larger accent beads mixed in. Old buttons make really nice clasps. Just string enough seed beads to make a loop around the button. I've found some very cool old buttons on e-Bay. Since I sell bird products, I usually hunt buttons that have parrots on them. :) When you look at a button with a clasp in mind, rather than a button for a garment, it opens up a whole new world of ideas!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I take them apart and use the beads, and other findings to make a new necklace. [/B]
Madhen, I have a friend who uses buttons, but have not thought of using them as clasps. A really good idea for a ethnic-type necklace I am making:) Also, I clicked on the the word beads above and found that they offer a weekly e-mail with beading tips and ideas.

Just curious when you find the bird buttons do you use them when making jewelry?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
madhen said:
Cockatiels and finches!! :) I have two Gouldian finches, currently also sitting on eggs. Also, two mini-macaws, an African Grey, and two budgies. (And lots and lots of chickens.)

So jealous of you!! I would love to increase our flock to include gouldians!! Well, any of the bird varieties you have mentioned. Please, please please lets talk about your birdies more, post in the pets forum in the Family section. I'd love to talk more about them!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Bird buttons as clasps

In re: the question of using bird buttons (i.e, buttons with birds on them) as clasps, yes, I do use them in jewelry. Often, either the button is colourful, or the bird is embossed in gold on dark brown, or some such combination, so I use the button to dictate what colours I use in the bracelet. Since I belong to a bird club and sell at the local bird-marts, they are a natural extension to pet bird supplies that I sell. :) I still have quite a few buttons that are waiting for the muse to strike, though. I just do a search on eBay for "parrot button" and usually have to wade through dozens. :) I'm not looking for the rare and expensive ones - just ones that will catch the eye. The running joke among most parrot owners is that we are very much like birds - we are attracted to shiny objects and want to feather our nests with them!! <g>

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have thought about doing this. I think that pins would be something great to make. I worked with a lady once that made all her own and I never saw her wear the same one twice. She would use trinkets she picked up at thrift stores and yard sales and make the most beautiful pins. She made barettes also. I know you can take pennies and hot glue them all over a barret and it is really pretty.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Bird buttons as clasps

madhen said:
In re: the question of using bird buttons (i.e, buttons with birds on them) as clasps, yes, I do use them in jewelry. Often, either the button is colourful, or the bird is embossed in gold on dark brown, or some such combination, so I use the button to dictate what colours I use in the bracelet. Since I belong to a bird club and sell at the local bird-marts, they are a natural extension to pet bird supplies that I sell. :) I still have quite a few buttons that are waiting for the muse to strike, though. I just do a search on eBay for "parrot button" and usually have to wade through dozens. :) I'm not looking for the rare and expensive ones - just ones that will catch the eye. The running joke among most parrot owners is that we are very much like birds - we are attracted to shiny objects and want to feather our nests with them!! <g>
Thanks for response:) I went to a function at our Musuem just recently and saw a woman wearing a really beautiful jacket. The jacket had bird (Toucon(sp??) buttons. They really made the jacket something special.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts