Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh and I have been mulling this over. We would like to buy some land, but it is so terribly expensive here. We know of a few families that have expressed interest in more land for gardening than their backyards can accomodate, so we were thinking that this might be an option.

I know in Europe this is quite common. It is not very common here.

My questions would be 1) Insurance 2) size of plots, 3) would be have to provide irrigation (could be a problem), and of course 4) cost.

Tree removal is another consideration, but my main interest right now is if this could be viable, or should we forget it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't want to rent garden space for ourselves. We would like to purchase a few acres and then divided them into allotments. We have been landlords in the past, and thought this form of business would be much easier.

We don't know anyone who has done this, so it's hard to find information. In that respect being a landlord was easier.

·
Registered
924 Posts
On a bigger scale the company I work for owns alot of land and we rent it to farmers in the area to grow hay. I know not exactly what you had in mind but its a win for us. And we do not provide irrigation.

Can you do a search for garden clubs or something similar and maybe contact them and ask someone who might know?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think that you would be able to charge enough rent to cover the cost of the land. If you had the land already it would be a different story.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.