Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any nail biter members here? Any recovered nail biters? *LOL*
I have done this since the beginning of time. I stopped for ages and restart when stressed. Anyone have any tips for stopping for good?

Yuk, it's one thing I really dislike about myself.

Sara

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I clip them and trim them down vs actually biting them. Although, if under high stress, I will bite bite bite. *LOL*

*sigh*

As a kid my mom tried everything. It only made me bite more. hehe

Sara

·
Registered
113 Posts
I confess i am a bitter too, i stoped once for a couple of months when Dh and i first started dating, but started again, i even tried that icky, tasteing paint on stuff, but it didnt work, the only other time i stop is when we go camping, and thats because my hands are always getting dirty.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Oops-caught me too. I, too have done this since the beginning of time. I did stop for a few years, but always had 1 thumb that was always bitten off. I wish I could stop too because now DD#2 also does it. The bitter paint stuff does work for me, but my hands are always in water, etc. and I'm too lazy to keep repainting it back on.:(

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Wow, who knew there were so many biters out there :laugh: It personally gives me the "willies" to even consider it. Anything to do with nails bending, tearing, peeling, biting, etc. freaks me out.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I am not a biter, I peel mine when stressed, one little inperfection in the nail and I peel at the layers which will weaken it and eventually break. One way of quickly breaking the nail biting in little ones is hot sauce. Just a drop makes them want to have them no where near their mouth. We had a little girl at work who was scarring her hand severely by sucking on her fingers, rather than her thumb, and that is what stopped her-the pediatrition actually suggested it because she was really destroying her hand.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Heehee, my ds, 2 actually sucks on the bottle of hot sauce. One day I went into the kitchen, he had the cap off, sucking on the bottle. He got mad when I took it away LOL.

Laura

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Also guilty. I have tried, very briefly, and have had no success in stopping. I bite mine constantly, not just when stressed. As far as habits go, its cheaper and healthier than smoking and I never have to run to the store for me. HA, HA, HA

·
Registered
916 Posts
paelthom said:
Also guilty. I have tried, very briefly, and have had no success in stopping. I bite mine constantly, not just when stressed. As far as habits go, its cheaper and healthier than smoking and I never have to run to the store for me. HA, HA, HA
This is my theory too. lol

Laura :eek: Your hot sauce story had me laughing. I can't imagine drinking that stuff. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Who, Me?! Bite my nails?

Found out! I have been a nail-picker for many years, longer than a girl likes to remember. For about the last 6-7 years I have been trying to get my nails manicured every week and have been successful. At the job I have, I do a lot of computer work and work in our file room, so there is a lot of stress on my nails. Every little thing will chip the polish no matter what the manicurist does to strengthen the polish. Haven't had a manicure for maybe 6 weeks and my nails and cuticles are suffering. Maybe next payday (3/22 for me) I will just get over the embarrassment of my lousy-looking nails and go have a manicure! Gotta get a pedicure done too -- my toes are a lot better looking than my fingers!

Julie

:ribbon:

LOVED THE HOT SAUCE STORY!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I remember reading that a person cured the habit by sticking his hands in a big pile of cow pooh once a day. Yuck
I would rather bite my nails

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Guilty!!!:surprise: I always have and I don't even know I am doing it half the time!! My dd was a horrible nail bitter, I would constantly have to tell her to get her fingers out of her mouth!! Now she can't bite them anymore, she got braces!!:D

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Guilty, guilty, guilty. I am especially bad about biting them when I'm stressed.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was a habitual nail-biter most of my life. Always ashamed of showing my hands.

Briefly when I graduated high-school, I quit long enough to have my picture taken & for the prom!!!!

Then I continued as before.

Around the age of 50...[around menopause] I just stopped [must be hormones]

My nails are very thin & soft, most of the time.

It is a terrible habit to have.

Good luck to all you Ladies who are trying to break the habit. :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Who would ever have thought we had so many here!
I know I used to bite my nails when I was a kid. I'd bite them down to the quick so far they'd hurt! Who knows what finally made me stop.
Now my dh is a TERRIBLE nail-biter and my ds has picked up HIS habit. I'm surrounded..... :toothy:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm a biter, too. Long nails drive me crazy. I can't stand the thought of dirt getting underneath them or anything else. My nails are thin and weak, too, and easily tear and bend. To try and get them long and paint them would be a full-time job in itself.

I spend so much time cleaning and working with my hands in food and other things that having nails longer than my fingertips is not practical.

When I see someone in my family has longer or painted nails I always remark that I wish I didn't have "scrubwoman hands" and nails that are so short that they didn't deserve being polished.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Finally after way to many years, I have quit biting my nails. No tricks worked for me. One day I just quit and they are actually finally looking like nice nails. I don't want them super long but just long enough that they don't look like I've just had them for snack.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts