Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sew alot, well, I used to then, I started doing websites and didn't have time. Now that has burned me out and I'm creating to sell again..lol. Love it :)

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has a hobby turned small business(in any size).

·
Registered
301 Posts
My husband sews and sells renaissance clothing for Ren Fests. Not the frilly stuff either. Here's a link: Daniel Costuming

He does it off and on-- but since he's been working 6 days a week at the restaurant he hasn't had time/or want to do anything.

I don't know about small businesses... I keep telling him that we need to get a business license and apply for grants so we can start one but he wants to wait.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I make and Sell Jewelry , I have a whole lot right now and my husband thinks i should sell it on ebay , i used to have my own booth at a local market , but i havnt been able to sell anything since i preg , i make beadednecklaces , from simple to fancy i also do gemstone , beadweaving , earrings , whatever i can make , my DH does hemp , I also have a ton of boar style scarves made from eyelashyarns..i just want to make a lil over profit back i just wish someone would buy them all *sighs* but thats the hard part the selling , (for me anyway , i am just not that social a person with selling , i just like making) I sell at moderate prices because i have strong belife in making things affordable , but someone else could sell them for a whole lot more. *sighs*
sorry i am just rambleing and thinking too hard

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
My husband sews and sells renaissance clothing for Ren Fests. Not the frilly stuff either.
Wow your husband is really good! WTG!

As for me I used to make primitive dolls, make-do's etc, but have stopped for now, cant afford the materials needed, I still have my supplies here so my hobby is just on hold. I have sold in the past things on eBay but with the fees and such, it wasnt worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a large variety of items. After I had my 3rd child I made and sold cloth diapers. I made a tidy sum doing that. Then it became a cut-throat market. I made and sold cloth pads, in Canada it's not a regulated thing, but in the US it is, so I couldn't sell out of the country. Then my 4th came along and I fell in love with boutique items. NOT a frugal thing. And I've only ever bought 2 or 3 items. I make the rest. Now I started doing team apparel, embroidery, jewelry etc. It's a slow process. but we hope to buy an industrial embroidery machine and build a family business. My kids are learning graphic art. I'm learning digitizing, and will continue and teach the kids. I'm expanding to other areas too. I'm looking to build something my family can fall back on. When I am focused on it, i can sell $1000+ in a weekend. Of that truthfully, the cost is about $80(I know wicked mark up! But time is a factor). These are my Christmas items. I do three or 4 shows this year, so hopefully I can double my sales each weekend, as my line is expanding to include more things as well.

I was just curious to see if I was the only nerdy crafty person..lol

I want this to be something that'll grow and be a family business, something the kids will want to continue with, something they can fall back on in the event of a setback such as divorce etc. It's afact, hopefully it'll never be an issue for them, but let's be proactive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts