Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There isn'ta vet in our county that's open today- I have no idea why!

Our horse drug a log- with branches at a full gallop down the road
nearly 1/2 mile. The back of both legs are bloody and she's limping
pretty bad.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I wish I had some advice for you ! I'm glad for her sake that you are a nurse !
I hope all turns out well with her !!!!!!

·
27,948 Posts
How is she doing?:heartsm:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I would just clean the wound(s) very well using some warm water. Tie one of her legs up so she can't kick you and (if needed) cross tie her too. Watch for infection. You can always use warm compresses on the affected areas too. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well- it's looking pretty bad right now. The injuries we can see are pretty superficial. But. . . the horse is down- lying on her side. I can't tell if she has internal injuries or what. We tried to get a vet in 3 different counties. Not a one was available today- must have been some sort of conference or something.

My poor dd is in tears- feels it's all her fault. She's responsible for the horse and all that.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A horse lying down isn't a good sign. Check for hot spots on her legs--an infection may have set in where you can't see it. WHERE are all the vets???

Is there a zoo fairly close? Maybe you could call them for some advice. If they have wild horses, they might be of some help.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well- quick update.

Sobie is up this morning and looking her usual self. The scrapes and cuts are beginning to heal- very little swelling. We're keeping them clean and putting salve on them with bandages.

Thanks everyone for your support (unlike another group that blasted me for letting her get hurt)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I'm sorry about your horse...I just saw this....you got great advice, I would have given you exactly the same, keep it clean, clean, clean.

I am also sorry that you were blasted, these things happen and that's the way it goes. We had a little accident on our farm here this weekend too, my ds's 4-h lamb got out and ran right toward one of the horses and the horses' first instinct was to stomp on him, he broke his leg, the joint at the bottom of his leg. He is wrapped up and doing ok today. My son felt so terrible and it is an awful thing to happen but accidents do happen and we deal with them the best way we can.

Hope your horse heals fast and well and sending you hugs!!! and your dd!!!:hug2: :hug2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts