Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am an 18 yr. brain tumor survivor....Yeah! It's still there, but I had radiation that stopped the growth and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yup! Count me in too! I was diagnosed with stage 3 uterine cancer May/07. I go for my next 6 month appt on 5/18. I'm feeling the anxiety now, but it's nothing new. So far, so good! I have a wonderful team of doctors, and a wonderful family. Of course though, I owe my gratitude for my faith in God.

Seems that I'm now running into some health problems due to the cancer. I have blood clots in my leg, and the docs say I'll probably be on pain meds the rest of my life. I had 11 operations in less than 15 months, so they say the pain is from scar tissue. I have a different plan though, and I want to see what some Tai Chi (my dh is an instructor), and a low impact excercise routine can do. I'm ready for it!

Thanks for starting this thread baxful! The support is nice!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
My daughter Maggie is a cancer survivor.

She is now 4. She was dxed 2/09 with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma - a pediatric cancer - was given less than 50% chance of survival. After surgery (to remove initial tumor) and 6 massive rounds of chemo - Maggie was cancer free. However, due to the nastiness of her cancer she went on and had TWO stem cell transplants, 12 proton radiation treatments and one antibody treatment. Her kidneys, due to damage from all the different types of treatments went into 'shock' - her blood pressure rose to 200/120 and we were flown to children's hospital - which is normally a 3 hour car drive. We have stopped treatments. Maggie is now on blood pressure medicine daily and I have to give her shots weekly. These shots replace a hormone that the kidneys make telling your bone marrow to make red blood cells.

We are praying that Maggie's kidneys will continue to heal. God has done so many miracles in the past year and we KNOW He will do more.

We go back to her doctor next week and hopefully if all is well, we can schedule to get her central line taken out.

We are having a party June 5 to celebrate the many miracles. :smball::smball::tay::cheer4::cheer4::cheer4::cheer4::smball:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'm here Julie! Coming up on 7 years breast cancer free! :D

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dee!!!!! How have you been feeling??? I've missed you. I think about you every time I use my quilt (which is daily)!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am a 5 year (6 in Apr) survivor of uterine/endometrial cancer.

I was stage 1/1a when it was found, so hysterectomy was all I had to have done.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I suppose I am, although I hardly classify myself as one. Malignant melanoma was cut out of my abdomen 5 years ago. I lost a brother to a brain tumor when I was 9 (he was 11), so I hardly consider skin cancer as counting, but I guess it does?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My condolences lparker, it's not my intent to downplay or trivialize skin cancer. Having witnessed what my brother suffered through (and suffering along with him), then losing my grandfather (who was my best friend at the time) to prostate cancer the same year, it's hard for me to compare my bout with theirs. Cancer, in all its forms, is a horrible disease.

·
Registered
689 Posts
so I hardly consider skin cancer as counting, but I guess it does?
What I was getting at was that just about any cancer will kill...If you've survived skin cancer...it counts. BTW, I lost my Sister to brain cancer a few years ago...she was in her later 50's. I know what you are thinking about having a "trivial" cancer compared to one you really suffer with.
Lee

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am a breast cancer survivor. In fact today May 4, 2013, is my two year anniversary of my last chemo treatment. I will have a couple more two year anniversaries later this year. The next one will be June 9. That was the day I had a bi-lateral (double) mastectomy. When I was diagnosed in December 2010 I was Stage 3c and it was estrogen positive cancer. As of today I am cancer free. I have lost two family members to cancer. My oldest sister had mouth cancer and my brother-in-law (my other sister's husband) had pancreatic cancer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'M an 8 year (as of 2/1/13) BC survivor!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts