Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any other preemie parents here. I'm finding that the ideas I had about how I would parent have changed a lot since my daughter was born.... things like cosleeping and attachment parenting are appealing to me more now due to my daughter's particular needs. She's a healthy preemie, but it's still different from a "regular" baby. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
How preemie is your preemie? My daughter was almost six weeks early - nothing too distressing - and she was 5lbs. 8oz.! (She was also born 4-1!! Guess they fooled us, eh?) So, except for having to wear Cabbage Patch kids clothes and special preemie pampers, she was a healthy baby. Cosleeping, well, more for your comfort I wouldn't make a habit of it. But there were nights I was just too tired to sit up to put her back in the cradle. I'm not sure what you're situation is when you say "different from a regular baby". Does she have any medical issues?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I had 2 preemies, dd, who was born 6 weeks early but weighed
4 lbs 12 oz.......... and ds born 7 1/2 weeks early, and weighed 3 lbs, 14 oz........ he was really small, both were in good health..... DD I was lucky and ds, we knew would come early as I had a very rough time with him..... I had the hormone shots to develop his lungs......... I had to get little tiny clothes and diapers, (dd had her first picture taken in a doll dress) They develop slower, but do catch up.........

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
How much ealry was your preemie?
We had triplets who were born at 30 weeks so 10 weeks early they ranged in weights at birth from 3.8 lbs, 3.2 lbs to 3 lbs..
We had lots of issues at the beginning in the NICU BUT are all healthy now..and are now almost 5.

ask away with any certain issues or things you are concerned about..
Eileen
p.s our oldest daughters's bitrhday is April 1st she turned 10 this year....

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My preemie was almost seven weeks early, and, as I said, pretty healthy. She was 4.2 at birth, and only stayed in the hospital two weeks. Right now we're dealing with a lot of reflux- the medicine isn't helping, so we go in every two weeks to work with the doctor and see if we need to try something new. She's still having trouble coordinating her suck/swallow reflex, too, but my gut feeling is that that's connected to the reflux... I'm not sure I'd eat if it hurt every time, either!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
My oldest was 7 weeks early- huge preemie baby and healthy as a horse. The nurses nicknamed him "Jaws" because he ate so well for such an early baby.

He's nearly 19 and doing great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My DD was a preemie. She was 5 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs 6 oz. She didn't have any major problems...just jaundice really...and got to come home from the hospital with us when I was released. I also parent differently than I thought I would. I don't know if it's because she was a preemie or because I got to know her and what she needed from me. I cosleep and breastfeed and will continue both until she says she wants differently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts