Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I are trying to decide on a name for our first child. I've loved a name Isabella since I was in highschool and have referred to my future daughter as Isabella for years.

Now I am worried it has become too popular and I will come to regret my choice.

Anyone have doubts or misgivings later about the name you chose for your child?

Anyone have any experiences you can share about your experience with your own name.

My name is Maggie, let's just say it rhymes with lots things....

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I moved this thread to the family thread, because technically the q & a forum is for 'frugal specific-ish' questions.

We just played the name game with our daughter not that long ago. We actually chose to name her Maggie, so your thread gave me a chuckle.

SSA tracks popularity of names and Isabella is the top name of 2009 for girls.
Isabella Reigns as New Queen of Baby Names - Takes Top Spot on Social Security's Most Popular Baby Names List

I love the names we've given our kids. No regrets here.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I had regrets about my own name for years, particularly hated it in high school. I've decided to own it instead, make it MINE. My parents meant well and truly loved the name, they loved that I was a girl, yadda yadda, so I had to realize that I can resist it or embrace it. Life's been better since I've embraced it.

I wanted a daughter named Tatiana but my husband at the time didn't like that name and neither did my family. Still wish I had my Tatiana so I might name a pet that instead.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Personally I love the name Isabella. That was a girl choice for us :vibes: It just didn't work out.

My kids have more common names. They all have nicknames with their "birth" name.

I have no regrets on our choices. There are a few more names I would have liked to use, but no more kids for us. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I wish I had spelled Haylie different. I don't regret the name just the spelling. For some reason even her teacher continues to spell it wrong and You can't buy anything with her name on it because it's always spelled Haley.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
No, no regrets but we just went through it so time will tell. My 3rd dd went home with no name because we couldnt decide on one so we are still getting used to her name.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No I don't regret either of the kids names. Just be aware of initials. My Dbrothers initials are D.A.H. and believe you me,I rode that pony til' he cried. After all, he was my little brother.

I love the name Isabella. Both the kids have "royal" names. But after all my DH is 37th in line for the Czar of Russia if they still had a Czar. I am glad things are progressing for you.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
No regrets, I just wish other people hadn't decided they liked the names too. At least my Emma is 15 years older than all the others. *kids names in siggy

·
Registered
984 Posts
No regrets here. My second daughter though, we changed her name when she was about three weeks old. I had a horrible pregnancy , was on bedrest almost the whole time and kind of let my dh make the decision. I liked the name he chose ok but all my life I wanted a Diana. I knew she was it, my last chance and her middle name was Diana but it wasnt enough for me. The first name was wrong, I couldnt even bring myself to call her by her name. I was in a terrible post partum depression and my dh finally said anything he could do to make me feel better he would do. I knew instantly. I NEEDED to fix her name. It was super easy, cost less then 20.00 and I felt like a new person. We made the name he chose her middle name and Diana her first name. I really liked both names but I LOVED Diana. Even dh says now he cant imagine her being anything except Diana. With my oldest I knew from the second I found out she was a girl I wanted her name to be Kelly. Dh agreed and that was that. We called her Kelly from the time of the ultrasound.I am glad we had girls though because I have yet to come across a boys name we agree on. I love the name Isabella but if its important to you there isnt a million of them then you may want to reconsider. My youngest has three in her class alone.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My son's name is Michael ~ it's been on the most popular list for years. I love the name so it doesn't bother me.

My daughter's name is Elizabeth but we call her Libby and I love that name, too. I wanted to name her Eliza Jane but with our last name there would be just too many "G" sounds :D

We just realized several years ago that all the cousins names intertwine ~ Gregory James, James Michael, Michael Campbell and Elizabeth Rebecca and Rebecca Amy. Too funny :D

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Love all my children's names, but we had terrible names picked out every pregnancy for if they had been the opposite sex. So, if it had been boy, girl, boy instead of girl, boy, girl I would regret them all.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Love my children's names

Clara Christa
Gregory David
Emmalene Anne

I have always loved Isabella too, and both my daughters could have been Isabella's, but they are very much their names...

I have had some regrets with Gregory's name-
it means "observant one"- ironic because he is visually impaired, but I realize he is very observant in other ways.
Also annoyed with Diary of a Whimpy Kid using it!!!! Thankfully he is old enough it doesn't matter now...

Emmalene is sometimes mispronounced Emmaline, and sometimes people think we have said Emily, but when we correct it, they love it.

She is Em or Emmy for short.

Love Clara, always have.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
At the last minute, we had to change Kathleen's middle name from Faith to Anne - otherwise her initials would have been KFC!

And our daughter Rosie is actually named Rosanne - but I didn't notice that her birth certificate said 'Rossanne' UNTIL she went to college - what a mess!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
no regrets here. Mine even have the same initials!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wish I had spelled Haylie different. I don't regret the name just the spelling. For some reason even her teacher continues to spell it wrong and You can't buy anything with her name on it because it's always spelled Haley.
I have a Hailee, Jaimee and a Kristie. I did sometimes regret the spellings especially the twins names. They however all love the way they are spelled and would not change it which makes me happy.

My last daughter we named ... ERIN. Very easy, no one mispells it and we can always find her name on everything. She loves her name too, so we did something right.

I on the other hand have always hated my name!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No regrets here. My son is Ryan, there are a ton of them now, but 24 years ago it was just getting to be used. His fathers name is Rand (not Randy) and his grandfathers name is Roger. They both have the same middle name. We wanted to Ryan to have the same initials as the two of them and at the time Ryan was the best fit. Their initials are RAM. I am pretty sure that if he has a son he will carry on the tradition. His fiance is pondering good boy names with R.

DD was named Lisa years before she was born. Dh picked that name out and we even had it on the frig in thoes little colored letters. He wanted Lisa Michelle, but her name is Lisa Renee. She might have been Lisa even if she was a boy! Just jokin.

On my side of the family we reuse names all over the place. There are a lot of Dennis', Daniel, Michael, Deanna, Danielle, Marie, Ann, Renee. Mixed as first or second names oh and Alex and Austin too.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My 24 year old's name is Ryan. I also have a Shawn and Matthew and I do not regret naming any of them what I did. I like my name because I find that it is somewhat uncommon

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I spelled my dd-11 middle name Nikole with a "k". Of course it is always spelled wrong, SHE even forgets and puts a "c" sometimes!! :eek: I love it though, and find it unique. I figured it's her middle name so won't be used THAT often.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I spelled my dd-11 middle name Nikole with a "k". Of course it is always spelled wrong, SHE even forgets and puts a "c" sometimes!! :eek: I love it though, and find it unique. I figured it's her middle name so won't be used THAT often.
My name is Nichole. Very few people ever spell it correctly. :ache:

Wesley and Maggie are pretty common spellings--but keep keep trying to elongate Maggie's name to Margaret.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I noticed how you spell your name before. I like it, it's unique too! :) I worked with a Nichole once. Not too long ago I was at an outdoor shopping center and saw a Maggie Moo's Ice Cream shop and thought of your little Maggie Moo! Cute! :D

1 - 20 of 90 Posts