Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure on a message board of people trying to make ends meet, I can't be the only one! Hardest job in the world....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I am there with you! I do not normally get child support as my ex isn't very consistant paying. He lives in another state so I am raising them on my own (my family lives in another state as well). The frugal boards have helped me feel more empowered instead of focusing on what we don't have.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I used to be a single mom and your right it's a very hard job, even now not being single it's hard too, just remember we are here for you when you need us. :hugz:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a single mom too and my ex-dh pays so so very little...I use these boards for inspiration and support. I'm fortunate to have a great job and education but I am very wise about building a future for the kids and I. This forum keeps me on track.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I was a single mom as well so I also know how hard it is. This is a good place for support & tons of ideas to help out. Hang in there & remember you're not alone.:)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I am a single mom and do get child support for my youngest one. I did get child support for my oldest until last Oct. when she turned 18. It is a hard job, but I am lucky that he will help the girls out if they need something for school, summer clothers, and school clothes. If I am going on a week-end trip with my mom or sister he will take care of the youngest. I can't complain as far as him doing things with the girls. Finacially it can get rough at times since I only make $9.80 and hour but at least once or twice a month I can get overtime. I don't know about the rest of you single moms, but do you feel burnt out 90% of the time? The one thing I can say being a single mom is that I am very good with my money and have learned alot from these forums and it has made me stay focused on paying off my last two debts which are my car loan and house loan.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm a single mom with two kids. My ex doesn't pay regularly so I'm doing this mostly on my own. By nature I am frugal, but I'm always learning and enjoy a board where other frugalties meet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am still married, but in the process of getting divorced. So far I haven't had any money problems, because ex is paying child support and I am working part time.

But I went from a stay at home military wife/mother/part time student to a part time working single mother and I hate it! The kids don't like it and I am on the run all the time.

I have always been money savvy and somewhat frugal and I am glad that I can make this situation work for us.

Sometimes I wish for this other shoulder to lean on, but in a way I am very thankful and proud, that I don't have to rely on a "man" again and worry about MY financial situation!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Anoul I can relate to running all the time. I have told the girls there going to start walking or taking the bus more when the weather gets warmer. Also, being a single parent I get very tired easily. This past week I worked a couple of times overtime and get very exhausted. Will work overtime a couple a times a month or once every two weeks to make extra money to pay extra on my car debt, but the next few days I am dragging my bottom. At least I don't have to worry about babysitters due to my oldest one being old enough to watch herself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anouk...just a word of support..believe it or not in about 3 years you won't believe how much your life will change from when you were married...well, actually I shouldn't assume that, sorry.

For ME, when I was married I had very few friends, was over worked at home and work, oppressed by an overbearing guy, and always had to work 3x as hard to get to my goals, not to mention the loneliness, financial fights, and selfishness.

Now..I am sooo much better off in so many ways. I've spent 3 years healing and rebuilding. I have amazing career opportunities, work on my MBA p/t, study piano, participate at my church (ex-DH was an atheist, church wasn't in my life), spend quality time taking care of my kids and house, am in control of all the money coming in and leaving the house, and I am so comfortable I got a dog! I have a ton of friends now from work, church, and school. I get invited to lots of things and life is just so much better. I do date but I'll tell you, I am much more selective now.

It is hard being a single mom BUT the thing to think about is sometimes our dreams are bigger than the environment we are in so we need to change that environment. Your kids will understand your running around because they will see how hard you work for them and all that you accomplish.

Honestly, being a single mom has made me so vigilant about the time I do spend with them and the role model I am.

Good luck to you, I'm sending you strength...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I am. We all have different stories. I've gotta run now, talk later.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi there, I'm a newly single mom. The XH and I separated 6 months ago and are currently in the middle of a nasty divorce. He pays CS on and off.
My DS is very disabled so at the moment I can't work. He has Drs appts and therapies literally everyday so it's really not an option. I have been considering inhome night time child care though so that might be a good option for me so that days are still free for appts.
Financially it is a constant struggle but I am much happier!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts