Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hang out my husbands and my own clothes on the line outside - but both our toddlers sneeze and have watery eyes after I hang theirs out. I'm determined to get this utility bill down this month so I need suggestions on alternatives on drying their clothes.

They wear 2t and 4t clothing so you can imagine they are smaller items - maybe a line in the garage to try so it's not quite so smelly? Otherwise I guess I could put a drying rack somewhere in the house and hope they don't knock it down, lol!

I do roughly 6 loads of laundry a week total for four people including towels and sheets. Everything but the kids clothes and all our socks go on the line. :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
For your DH's I'd just put the shirts on regular hangers and the pants on pants hangers and hang from the shower curtain rod, that's what I do. I do use my dryer for somethings, but everything I can hang on the curtain rod I do. I also put a box fan at the bathroom door.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Will both of you parents wearing line dried clothes around your children set off their allergies as well? Maybe switch to hang drying everything inside the house? Food for thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
strangely enough our wearing the clothes dont' bother the kids. I'm going off what happened when I hung out their sheets earlier in the year.

You got me thinking though - if our wearing it doesn't bother them AND we have the windows open during the day AND they are outside at least 2 hours a day without it bothering them....I wonder if I should try their clothes out there again. Hmm...

I'm just frustrated with this crazy electric bill!! We have a 1600 sq ft house, I'm a light nazi and open the windows as much as possible and it's still around $200!

Granted that's our water, an all electric house, trash pickup (non-optional) and sewage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My DD has allergies and, with my experience, the more I hang out the less it bothers her. This may not work with all but with mine it did.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Granted that's our water, an all electric house, trash pickup (non-optional) and sewage.
So, basically, that is all the utilities, except the phone. I don't think that sounds too bad at all.

Experiment with the hanging clothes thing, but with our evergreen pollen here, I wouldn't think of hanging my clothes outside. Would
kill my allergies. Anything I hang to dry is in the basement.

Maybe the kids allergies are from a food item.........have you experimented in that area to find out? Or had tests run?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts