Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just about finished digging up my new flowerbed. I extended my plans to make it the full length of dh's workshop.

Here is my question. I know its getting late in the year, but is there anything I can plant in there now or should I wait until fall or even wait until spring next year.

Whatever I plant now I want to make sure that it will survive the winter here. I'm in zone 3.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Iris, daylilly, lilly, peonies do well transplanting, later in the season. You might even want to wait a little later in the season when the prices go down.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm still planting perennials (small new plants) here in zone 5. They won't bloom this year, but will be plenty strong enough to winter off and bloom next year.
I wouldn't start any seeds that require stratification time, but most common seeds can still be sowed too. Don't forget you can winter sow too. Just sow into some plastic containers with covers and set outside and water periodically. They'll freeze and thaw and sprout right along with what grows naturally outdoors.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
CJ,
I ditto the above ideas. I hope your flower bed turns out wonderful and gets enough :rcloud: and :sun: Good luck.

pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts