Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that I'm going to school to teach elementary education. I'm now applying for sub jobs while in school. I need to send in a resume but I have completely drawn a blank as to what to put for the objective. Do you have any ideas what I should write? TIA!!!

Also...if anyone has done sub teaching before do you have any advice for a newbie??? :D

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Objective: To attain a substitute teaching position in the ____ School District.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about putting that but I wasn't sure if it will be enough. Since you mentioned it and I had thought of it already then I'll use it. Thanks so much!!! :D

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Daphne, All I can tell you is be prepared! The kids will try to get away with everything, just tell them up front that you will not tolerate any wrong doings, they usually respond quite well.
I don't know about the district you are in but in my old district the Teachers were required to leave you a lesson plan, you just follow it and everything will be fine,
If no lesson plans are left, then get with one of the other teachers in the grade you are teaching ans ask her/him what they are to be working on that day, most will tell you.
You can go online and find fun "time fillers" for the kids that finish earlier than the others. I always have my "bag of tricks" when I sub, they are fun , but educational materials. You'll do just fine. I Love being a Sub!! it is so rewarding, Especially when I do EC students. I love working with deaf and blind kids, also kids that are Autistic, BED (behavioraly,educationaly, disturbed) They are a great joy, most of the Behavior problem ones just want some one to treat them like they are suppose to be treated.

I plan on going back to subbing the end of this month, I just need something to do besides cook, clean and be bored all day long!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Oh I forgot to add the fastest way to get subbing is go to the different scholls you want to work at and tell them you are available to sub! I sub Pre-k to 12 th so I work about 5 days a week. I also do Long Term Subbing where you stay at one school in one class for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! I sent my resume over email (that is something we can do) yesterday so I'm hoping to hear something soon.

What kind of tricks do you have for the kids. I would love all the ideas and advice you have!! :D TIA

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'll have to dig through my bag and get some out for you. Have you ever seen the play on words in the Sunday paper the Parade where they have like the word tire and it is flat looking? =Flat tire or the word hill going upwards =up hill? things like that, anologies for 3rd -9th, easy math for pre-k-3rd, I'll look and see what else I have and get back to you.
Some cool sites are
http//:www.abcteach.com
http//:www.teacher2teacher.com
I'm sure if you did a google search on teachers/teaching or even substitute teachers you'd come up with a lot of neat ideas.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ellise thanks for those sites...I'll check them out and I'm sure I'll find some great info!! :D

Tunasalad, I've had some friends apply for this.....I don't know if I would want to go overseas!! :D

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Lots of the subs in our schools have business cards made up and pass them around.

try vista print online for cheap business cards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Daphne said:
Ellise thanks for those sites...I'll check them out and I'm sure I'll find some great info!! :D

Tunasalad, I've had some friends apply for this.....I don't know if I would want to go overseas!! :D
We are really safer HERE than you are there! (If that is what concerns you) Plus I feel like I am doing my part for the war effort every day. I am too old and fat to do any good otherwise. I'd love to kick some Mid East butt, but I'd not be much help in that department.
If hubby gets an overseas assignment, (which he will get eventually if he is a career man) you would be a natural fit.

Good luck though.:D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tunasalad...he's going to be a career man in the military but I can 110% promise you that he will not ever get stationed overseas with his job. The places he goes they don't allow any family to go...he's only there for a short period of time anyway. That is one good thing about his job...we will either be stationed here, CA or MS. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's a good idea to have a day's worth of lesson plans ready just in case. Sometimes teachers or their children get sick in the middle of the night and their lesson plan book is at home with them (ask me how I know this!) Try to include activities that can be simplified for young children and also made more challenging for older kids. It might be a good idea to have a theme for the day (dinosaurs, ocean, etc.) This makes it easy to find fun ideas and will also help you keep the kids attention if they think they are having a fun break from the usual routine.

·
Registered
429 Posts
One more thing! PLEASE leave the room as clean or cleaner than you found it. There is nothing worse than coming in the next day to a total disaster. Get the kids involved in cleaning up the last 10 - 15 minutes of class. Also, leave a note for the teacher to let her know what you did, what you didn't get to, discipline problems, children that were exceptionally well-behaved, etc. That gives him/her a base to start from the next day. If the kids know you brag on them (if they deserve it!), and their teacher praises them for it, they'll really behave well the next time you have them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Something I've used in the past - at the beginning of class, tape an envelope at the top of the board with a surprise reward in it. (It will be a piece of paper stating what the reward is.) Tell the students that if they behave really well, they can open the envelope to reveal the secret surprise. It keeps them guessing all day and works really well. If they've earned it, at the end of the day, open it and give them their reward. Suggestions: piece of candy, read a special book you brought from home, play the radio until time to leave the room (while they are cleaning, of course!), a pencil, bookmark, stickers, etc.
This only works if you stick to your guns. If they are awful DON'T OPEN IT!! They will remember it the next time you are in that room and they will be better. Wishy-washy doesn't work in a classroom.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts