Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 8 weeks pregnant and have been dealing with nausea for a few weeks now. My doctor has prescribed Zofran and Reglan, but it's a toss up as to if/when they work. Someday, I do get relief but other day I can just forget it. Dh suggested ginger root steeped in hot water, but that didn't work either. If this pregnancy is like any of my other ones, I'll be dealing with this well beyond the first trimester. Does anyone have any other suggestion for dealing with nausea??

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Stick with bland, easy to digest snacks such as crackers, broth, rice, cream of wheat, bananas, apples, clear drinks (like ginger ale or apple juice), yogurt or gelatin. Eat and drink in small amounts to avoid overfilling your sensitive stomach.

Certain smells may trigger nausea, try to avoid those things.

If you feel sick, do not lay down, it will make it worse. You can lean back, but being totally horizontal is not good.

Generally, avoid strong smelling foods, and fried and greasy/fatty foods. Hot spicy food might also be a problem.

As for the ginger... I find that ginger ale is helpful, and also ginger biscuits like these: http://www.annasthins.ca/ And I think you can buy a ginger tea bag. I also get relief with peppermint oil. I have a vial of extract (one of those herbal oil things, not edible) that I can get a good whiff of and that helps. You might try peppermint candy or mint tea.

Have you tried just plain calcium antacids?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Eat several small meals a day. Look for clues that set you off and avoid. (the sight of hamb. and the smell of coffee were mine).
If you get sick just eat again. Part of the deal. Stay away from grease and strong flavors. Wear light stretchy clothes,breathe thru your nose slowly and deeply. Sometimes it will pass. Oyster crackers were my fav. That's all I can think of. My babies are driving,in college and taking weight training.LOL.
ps.-you prob. will pass thru it soon. Don't shoot me but the more hormones,the greater chance of TW--S. Oh I see you are older and not having the first. Get an ultrasound dear.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Ginger ale and peppermints as a previous poster recommended. Really helps if you are proactive with this, don't wait to get nauseated, start as soon as you wake up in the morning.

PLEASE be careful with the Reglan - it can cause a condition called tardive dyskinesia, which in some cases is irreversible. By then 11 year old had this reaction (called an extrapyramidal reaction) which mimicked stroke-like symptoms and caused her to undergo a spinal tap and CT scan after surgery. All this after just two days' worth of Reglan post abdominal surgery.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
They make something called preggo pops that might help. I got them from babys r us. STepping outside in the cool helped me out, and a cool washcloth on the noggin.

I found candied ginger and various ginger candy at our whole foods type grocery up here. Can't say that it helped, I just liked it. :)

Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I drank Coca-cola all day long for my morning sickness. It REALLY helped. Now, I didn't eat much at all for 7 full months into the pregnacy, just sipped Coke. If I laid off the Coke I'd get WICKED sick. Had to be real Coke too, nothing else worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to snack throughout the day so that my stomach was never completely empty. I also found relief from ginger lemon tea (the one I use is Stash brand, but you may be able to find a recipe to make it yourself). The amount of sugar in ginger ale seemed to bother my stomach, so that didn't work for me.

I'm 23 weeks along now, and I still get a little sick feeling first thing in the morning. I keep a bit of peppermint essential oil on hand, dab some on a washcloth, hold it up to my nose, and the scent alone really helps the nausea go away!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
it's been like 100yrs since i have been pregnant..(ok- feels like it)...but i was sick every single freaking day (so much for the 'glow' it was toxins glowing)...

but anyway they used to sell something called a 'soda-mint tablet' and you got them at the drugstores....they were about the size of a baby aspirin and had maybe baking soda or some kind of bicarbonate soda in them...and when the doc turned me on to them....i was hooked...and as long as i took them i was in great shape..(and i was eating taco bell every single day too)...could explain why my son lives on the stuff now....

maybe you could ask your pharmacy if they still exist (don't need a prescription for them either)..... worth a try...

hope you fell better soon.....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I carried a baggie of old fashioned ginger snaps with me everywhere. I got them at Whole Foods, but I'm sure you can get them anywhere.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just a Q -- are you taking prenatal vitamins? I would never suggest changing them without talking to your doc first, but I had awful nausea from about 6 wks on. My OB changed me to a prenatal that had a lower dose of iron, and that made a HUGE difference. I still felt some nausea, but no where nearly as bad. Maybe talk to your doctor when you see them.

The worst for me is walking by the lunch room at work. It seems every day someone brings some kind of leftover meat dish or fish dish to cook in the microwave, and the smell lingers in the hallways. Sucking on something very sour like a lemon candy seems to make this more tolerable.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I had to keep something in my mouth at all times--lemon, drops, peppermints, etc.

I couldnt take prenatals until later in the day either or it made me very sick.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am 18 weeks pregnant and am just now starting to feel better.

My midwife prescribed Zofran for me and it was the only thing that helped. It didn't stop the nausea, just the vomiting. Could that be the case with you? My midwife said not to be surprised by that but I was more than happy to stop throwing up for a while.

Stay hydrated, that's the biggest trick. If I ever started to get dehydrated I would immediately start getting sick again. I actually was in the ER several times from being so weak and sick before I caught on to this.

I also had huge problems with the iron in my prenatals making my stomach worse.

I would eat Teddy Grahams first thing in the morning and would be awake for quite a while before I tried to drink anything at all. Then it was just small sips.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drank Coca-cola all day long for my morning sickness. It REALLY helped. Now, I didn't eat much at all for 7 full months into the pregnacy, just sipped Coke. If I laid off the Coke I'd get WICKED sick. Had to be real Coke too, nothing else worked.
Funny you said this. About 3 weeks ago I had a coke (which I never drink) and I felt so much better. It keeps my indigestion and heartburn from being so bad. In fact I'm drinking one right now. How strange.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
My friend told me she had to have a few saltines when she woke up while still laying in bed - before she even left the bed. She'd set out a few on her night table with an apple juice box and bottle of water. Even though she didn't feel 'hungry' when she woke up, she probably was thus causing the nausea. If she didn't start her day in bed with crackers or cookies (plain cookies - arrowroot or gingersnaps etc) she'd be nauseated for the rest of the day.

I notice that I get dizzy, lightheaded and nauseated if I don't eat on time. I'm not preggers, just diabetic lol

For me, I usually chew on these preserved ginger pieces (from an Asian grocery store) which has both sugar and salt on them - not candied ginger. It cures me pretty quick, I suck/chew on it and sit back and focus on deep breaths. It also helps that I have a fan blowing on me or the window open for air while I do this.

If this doesn't work, I boil A LOT (we're talking obscene amount here) of ginger in 1 cup of water...simmer it for 20-30 mins to steep it. Add honey or be prepared to burn your tongue on the concentrated flavour.

If I don't have the 1st two things listed, ginger ale/gingersnaps usually do the trick.

If all of the above fail...I try to take a nap sitting up or laying down - whichever makes me feel better and focus on my breathing while trying to 'rest'.

I hope your nausea goes away soon :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I was pregant, I sucked on bottle caps.
My doctor told me to get this cola syrup from the pharmacy(no prescription)
but the bottle caps worked better

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pepsi in the morning (preferrably fountain drink) and have peppermints in your mouth constantly. Bless your heart....I had one of those pregnancies. Ginger tea bags help too.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I had lemon jolly ranchers to get me through. It worked wonders.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I know what ya mean You can get those sea sick bands I heard that they work for nausea too and just press on the band when you get nausea. It's worth a try. Get it at any drug store. Ginger is also good and peppermint tea.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
it's been 11 years since i was pregnant but baby girl made me so sick i still remember all the ickiness. i lost a lot of weight at the beginning from all the throwing up. i couldn't have caffeine, so no pepsi, but i did drink sprite i had to start taking my vitamins at night so they wouldn't contribute to the sickness. i had to eat a bland diet for a while. toast, apple sauce, plain noodles. around the 4th month things settled down. i wasn't nauseous all the time, but by then i had figured out that if i didn't fight it and threw up in the morning, i was fine the rest of the day. yep i threw up every morning like clock work. if that ends up happening to you, make sure you stay hydrated. i kept a drink with me all the time and ate small snack size meals throughout the day instead of bigger meals. my stomach could handle small amounts of food more frequently better than it could larger meals 3 times a day. in the middle of the afternoon i could eat an orange to keep blood sugar up.

T

·
0 Posts
I used the generic Emetrol. Cherry flavored and thick like cough syrup. It always hit me in the afternoon so I just kept some at my desk at work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts