Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid I didn't mind if I got clothes from a thrift shop. But as I got older and started having my own money, I started shying away from them. My mind is telling me that it makes sense to shop at thrift stores but something keeps pulling me away. Any tips on how to get over this?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Why do you shy away.....you have to figure that out to conquer what it is that makes you feel that way

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Figure out what it is that's holding you back. If the stores are dirty, maybe you can shop in a nicer part of town. Maybe try a consignment shop, which would have "newer" and less "used" items.

You said "started having my own money" and that makes me think that now that you "have money" that somehow you don't want 2nd hand things, even though you know in your head that it makes financial sense.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If it is because the clothes have been used then just think of all the handling the new clothes have had before they hit the stores. You can also think about the environment and how much you will be helping it by re-using the items in a thrift shop rather than purchasing new stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
whenever I am in a "new" clothing store, it strikes me how little variety there is to choose from, compared to a thrift store. Case in point - several years ago, the "in colors" were olive green, deep gold, and rust - all colors I hate. But that was what was filling the stores.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Once you find some really great clothes at really great prices you may just be hooked! Personally I only buy shirts and pants at thrift stores. Not shoes ( other members of my family do and it doesn't bother them) or other more intimate items. Then I take them home, straight to the washer, then enjoy all the money I saved. My mom didn't do thriftstores so I felt abit like you but quickly got over it. I also find just as good of deals on new clothes on the clearance racks......so there are other options for inexpensive clothing. Thrift stores are very "in" here so they are overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quite a few of the thrift store around here have new with tag clothes. Maybe try looking for those items to warm up to thrift store shopping.

Scott

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A few thoughts in no particular order:

* Thrift store shop with an open mind and a short list.
Thrift store shopping is different than shopping at big-box commercial stores in that you never know what will be in stock. If you're looking for a #8-1/2 inch screw, go to a hardware store. If you're in the mood to treasure hunt, go thrift store shopping. Because thrift stores tend to be large and loosely organized, it helps to have an idea of what you're looking to buy: wood items to refurbish, baskets, glassware, toys, wool sweaters, sturdy boots, etc; while also keeping an eye out for something that might be a little bit different and a great deal.

* Shop when you have time.
Because even the best thrift stores aren't always organized by color, style and size, it is wise to have some time to look through all the merchandise. Rarely is there an opportunity to come back to buy an item that you like but don't have time to check out further. If you like it and it is a good deal, it will probably be gone by the time you return.

* Shop often.
When you find three or four good thrift stores in your area, it helps to make frequent, regular trips to check out their stock. New items are arriving daily at most thrift stores. As you become familiar with the store's inventory and rotation schedule, shopping trips will become shorter and the odds of finding the great items increase.

* Recognize the benefits of thrift store finds.
There are tons of upsides to thrift store shopping - above just low prices. Often the items are used so you can see quickly how an item will wear or hold up. If you're a person who frequently needs alteration in your clothing, you may find items that alterations have already been done (seriously, not everyone has fashion model long legs and arms that so many clothing manufacturers assume we do). Since many clothing items have been already worn and laundered, you can be pretty sure they won't shrink when you put them through the wash. If you like certain colors or styles that are no longer in the stores, you may find them in the thrift stores. And thrift store items are a fun way to try out new styles or snap up fashion trends. Do you think it would be fun to arrive at the New Year's party in bowling shoes? You might find them at the thrift store! Want to go to the next book signing in a tweed sports jacket? The thrift store just might have one that fits you and it has leather elbow patches! Have you always wanted cowboy boots but can't justify the price especially if you don't know you'd wear them often? Pick up a pair at the thrift store!

I have a bittersweet relationship with my thrift store finds. On one hand, I don't care if I accidentally stain a thrift store blouse or rip a hole in the knee of my thrift store pants. I got the item for only a couple of bucks so the loss isn't a big one. On the other hand, if it is an item I really like, it isn't like I'll ever be able to find it again. Thrift store items are often one-of-a-kind deals.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did the same thing for many years. I grew up poor and I associated thrift stores with poverty. What changed for me is that I became focused on a major financial goal (retiring early) and suddenly thrift stores started looking pretty good. Once I got over my initial reservations I realized that I could find some really good bargains on brands that I wanted, but never wanted to pay the retail prices for.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I agree that you have to find out what is keeping you feeling the way you do. I like the variety of clothes also and my favorite part is the money saved. I've actually gotten an aversion to shopping at the mall with their overpriced stuff. And I'm very close to being totally debt free; unless nasty old murphy should stop by. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is because the clothes have been used then just think of all the handling the new clothes have had before they hit the stores.
I did the same thing for many years. I grew up poor and I associated thrift stores with poverty.
Thanks for the responses everyone I really appreciate them. :)

I think that these are the main factors. The worse part of it is that I am not an uppity type of person. If you knew me personally you'd probably assume that I was already into thrift stores. I'm going to go to a local shop sometime this week and give it a go.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Just go and wander. Our S.A. tends to be well lit and highly organized w/ great after 6pm specials.
go w/ a thrift store enthusiast if you have such a friend. I buy brand new stuff all the time.

On a side note. Available money is finite thruout your life and if you spend it one place it wont be available another. I would rather buy used and eat later in life?

Bought my Sakura Christmas pattern dishes .75 each for dinner plates EBAY=$20. a plate =both used.

Got a roof rake retail $40ish and paid $5.99
NIP crib sheet $1.50 retail $6.99

One of my best finds=church sale Spyder 2pc ski snowsuit set $2. retail $200. flawless condition.
Have fun w/ it. In Jan. they have great stuff w/ tags because people are too lazy to stand in lines and retuns it. Last yr. plus size cable sweater w/tags $40. retail $6.99 then 1/2 off for the early bird special.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yesterday I found a new with tags pair of ladies dress slacks from Casual Corner Annex for 25 cents at our local SA. Those will be an option for dh's company's holiday party. May also wear them to church earlier before that, depends on the weather.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If thrift store clothes has you squeamish, think about whether you'd be willing to wear thrift store jewelry. That might be the place to start.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Someone walked up to me once at a garage sale and said she was surprised to see me at a garage sale. When I asked why, she said, "Because you live on the lake." I asked her, "How do you think we can afford to live at the lake?" She gave me a look that said she didn't get it, but luckily we figured it out decades ago.

It's all about priorities. We can go and buy brand new clothes that will be used and almost without value the first time we wear them, or we can buy our clothes and other things secondhand and live on the lake, which we consider priceless. We can't afford to do both.

We can spend a pile o'money on brand new household goods, or we can buy them secondhand and then pay cash for a brand new camper like we did last year (only because we could not find a used one that met our requirements.) Much of what we put into the camper, however, was bought secondhand, because we had another choice to make: We could either spend more money to buy new items to put into the new camper, or we could save most of that money by buying secondhand and then take the savings and put it in the gas tank and pay camp fees for a trip or two or six. :)

All those kinds of things are easy decisions. You can't spend the same money twice, so you have to decide what's most important to you.

We draw the line at things like underwear though. Although we will buy underwear at thrift stores if it's new in the package or new with tags.

I agree with others who have said to pick a well-kept thrift store. There's a big difference between a thrift store and a junk shop. I don't necessarily mind junk shops. There are sometimes great bargains to be had there, but it can be a turn off if things are dirty or damaged or whatever. I usually won't buy clothes at a place like that, but hard goods like glassware that's easy to clean and sanitize before use is fine by me if the price is right. But a well-kept store is a great place to shop. Just be sure to look things over carefully for damage. Good stores look things over before putting them out for sale, but sometimes damage gets missed.

Remember that bleach is your friend. :)

We've bought countless items secondhand over the years and saved countless thousands of dollars. Our quality of life has been far better than if we would have had to buy everything brand new. Buying new would mean our dollars would not stretch nearly as far, and we certainly wouldn't be able to afford a lot of the extras we've had and continue to enjoy over our lifetime. I've bought a lot of things that needed repair or significant cleaning or refurbishing, but it's been worth it for the savings and for the education I've gotten in learning to repair and refurbish. We've also bought many, many items that needed nothing except an initial cleaning that even brand new items get when they come into our house.

Just for funsies, here's an example of how secondhand stuff can be refurbished. I paid $1 for all of these. They came in a big pail, which I used as a planter for our container garden. I bought these because I knew I could easily clean them up and I wanted the two brat cookers that were in the batch, and which sell for about $17 each new. Clearly, nobody would be cooking with these and many people would have thrown them in the trash.

These cleaned up easily. Now anyone would cook with them. Most of them ended up being given for door prizes at our RV rallies, saving us from having to buy new items to give out, not bad for my $1 investment.

I've gotten off track, but suffice it to say you should be able to find items in good condition if you pick the right stores.

My best advice is to just do it. You'll most likely end up getting hooked on the thrill of the hunt!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try going into thrift stores near you. You may find some are better than others. The thrift store near me many times has clothes with tags on in. This is basically the only type of clothing I will purchase at a thrift store. It has to be new or look like it is new. Otherwise I would buy to much and helps me to shop wisely.

Also it is cheaper to purchase clothing that is the other season. So in winter summer/spring clothing will be cheaper.

If you find that the thrift stores near you are not to your liking then try to set aside money and shop stores during their clearance or end of season sales. You can usually find really good deals sometimes better deals than at the thrift store. Many times stores will offer an additional percentage off with a store coupon. Don't be afraid to look at the clearance section when on line shopping. Seems that seasonal items on clearance can be worth the time to do some research. Just like thrift stores you can find great prices when shopping off season on line.

I enjoy being able to find good quality items at thrift stores and getting more for my money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts