Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: this is long.

My parent's 50th anniversary is the day after Thanksgiving this year. They only want to go out to eat-no friends or fuss. I am the only child that lives near them, as the rest of my siblings live in California.

I thought we had their present all sorted out-a grandfather clock. My dad has always wanted one. Well, lo and behold, my brothers (both very well off) email that they are looking for a present (?) and it will be late!!! Considering I started talking to them about the present back in September and had it all arranged, this came out of the blue. And there is no excuse for it being late.

Anyway, I don't want to absorb the cost of this myself (it would strain us greatly), but I really want it to be a great present. Photos are out, because when they got married it was in their parents' home and there wasn't a photographer.

They have enough crystal, ect., from their previous anniversaries. I usually do a dinner-theatre for Christmas, so that's out.

I thought it would be fun to get a big box and wrap it in gold paper, then fill it with individually wrapped presents that were gold or had the word "golden" in it. Example: Golden Grahams. But that is for fun, not the main present.

Any ideas to honor a great couple?

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Like you say, they probably have enough "stuff".

How about tickets for a show or ball game? Is there something big they'd like to go see? Maybe a weekend with a hotel reservation? Something they can go enjoy together.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I second the idea of tickets to a show they'd like to see. Are your brothers willing to help with something you get for your parents or will this be all you? If you have to buy without any assist, what will your budget be?

·
Registered
933 Posts
My parents favorite 50th wedding anniversary was a cd my son put together for them. He took pictures of all the kids, grandkids, greats and scanned them into his computer, put music to them. Its fantastic and everyone loved it. We made copies for all the kids and grand kids.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
How about a night at a local bed and breakfast.

You can always get a photographer (or someone you know who can take great pictures) set up an area with some flowers for your mother to hold and have a "wedding" picture taken. See if your mother had any flowers at her wedding. If so see if you can have a bouquet made out of those flowers. And a butiner(sp?) for your father.

Our family gave my parents a night at a resort they stayed at for their honemoon.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are thinking of going the B&B route now. With winter coming they won't want to go far.

Good idea about the photographer. I love the flower idea, but here's the catch. There were no pictures taken of their wedding, and the only person that is alive that was there (my grandmother) had a stroke which impaired some of her memory. She told me yesterday she couldn't remember what flowers my mom carried, and couldn't remember much of the wedding dress, even though my grandmother had made it herself!

I checked all the shows in a 75 mile radius, and wouldn't you know, there is NONE that would interest them. I'll keep searching, though.

My family is very strange. My brothers would be more than happy to stick me with everything, but take credit themselves. I am prepared to have to pay it all now. They are not going to ruin this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts