Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to join the gym tonight, and I'm wondering if any of the other ladies endulge in this very healthy, but non-frugal, activity.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Technically, yes.... we have a family membership to the YMCA. I never go without the kids, though, so it's not like I get any personal workout time.

Years ago I belonged to a ladies-only gym, and I enjoyed that. I didn't go nearly as often as I should have, because it was in another city, but it was still nice to not be self-conscious about men watching me.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I go to the gyms on campus. For $78/year we have access to several weight rooms, cardio machines, pools, tracks, tons of classes, trainers, even the new gym with large video screens and TVs on each cardio machine. Really not a bad deal.

I go every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after class to lift weight and do cardio. On Wednesday nights I attend a yoga class. And once it gets warmer again, I'll be back to running outside because the elliptical just doesn't get me there.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used to run a Fitness Centre for many years but I feel they are always just a temporary thing. I saw many many people come and go to the gym over the years. I think variety and simplicity is the key to creating your active lifestyle. For me, I would never join a gym again. We invested money in a good free weight system, treadmill and aerobic step (I also taught aerobics for years). I also have many aerobic tapes as well. But I use these things during the cold winter months. I also do yoga and I would rather spend my money for yoga lessons than at a gym.

In the summer, I bike, run, hike, swim outdoors, play funsports, walk etc. These activities keep me feeling healthy and strong.

This is just my opinion and this works for me. I am very dedicated to living healthy and being active...I don't need external motivation, it's just part of my life. A gym will offer motivation, socialization, information and instruction to learn to do things properly and safely. I always think it's better to start with a 1-month, 3-month or 6-month membership to see if it's something you really want to stick to. I found that in the summertime, our gym was virtually empty except for the die hard fitness enthusiasts. And sometimes, those people were actually unhealthy as they overexercised and didn't really have much else in their lives. So remember that variety is the key to staying motivated and not getting bored.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I agree that a gym isn't needed for exercise, but I can't afford on my own all the things I get at the gym. I am a runner and running outdoors is free. In fact, I don't even like turning to treadmills or ellipticals for cardio. But for now I can't afford weights for all the parts of my body I train or great yoga and pilates lessons or my own pool, etc. But I can afford $78/year to use anything I want.

For me it also not a temporary thing or wasted money because I do actually go regularly and have gone for years. It's how I lost 60 pounds a few years ago and in part how I have not gained back any of it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When I was stateside, I was a 24 hour fitness member. I liked it because I could go at night when there was no one else there and learn to use the machines. It was too intimidating for me as a beginner to have all these super-fit people working out around me. Now I workout freely at the base gym or outdoors.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the views, ladies!

I have three main reasons for joining the gym:

1. I am a wuss and don't like the cold in winter, but I am also leary of this city and don't like to walk around very much, because of what can happen to a woman alone.

2. I have a home gym set, a Pilates video set and the knowledge of what it takes to get myself into shape. But... I lack the motivation. I am hoping that by joining the gym and actually paying for it, I can better motivate myself to go.

3. I have no girlfriends in this city. 90% of my friends either are online folks like yourselves who I've never met and aren't likely to meet, or are people that don't live anywhere near me. So if I can get out to places where there are other women my age, hopefully I can encourage myself to become more outgoing and make some new friends.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also am a member at a gym paying about 40 a month. I don't think of it as an extra however. I make sure I go 5 times weekly and up to 2 hours daily. I think it is very cheap in the long run to your health. It had classes daily, showers, sauna, and alot of machines with tvs hooked up to them. I think it is very worth the money as I definitely would not be getting a whole workout without a gym. I definitely notice a difference in being more toned and less of a chubster as I was having trouble with my stomach which didn't proportion the rest of me (I started having people think I'm in early stages of pregnancy because the rest of me is thin). I think it's good to be active and this helps motivate me to workout daily right after work since I pay for it and more of a complete workout.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My dh and I both go to Ballys. As I'm a long term member we only pay about $200 a month so its worth it. Once our house sells we'll be too far away and so we'll have to deal with working out at home again.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My dh and I both go to Ballys. As I'm a long term member we only pay about $200 a month so its worth it. Once our house sells we'll be too far away and so we'll have to deal with working out at home again.
$200! What does that include??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Luckily our gym is a frugal activity because it's free! My Husband is Military so we get full use of the gym. I like it a lot, but I NEVER go around 4pm because it's crazy in there. I try to go at least 3 times a week in the morning hours. This base also has a special ladies gym, and if you do so many hours of childcare a week your membership is free. I haven't gone to this one yet, because the regular gym suits me just fine.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I joined one a few weeks ago...Curves... It's only $29/month. And that's a lot cheaper than going to the doctor later on... (Although, I haven't gone since early last week since I've got the flu).

Also, it's MUCH cheaper than replacing my wardrobe...my clothes are getting tight! EEK!! And it's a really positive and encouraging environment! :) That does a lot for me!

It's exactly on the way home from work (right on the main road home) so there's zero extra driving (unless you count pulling into a parking lot as much of anything).

I get a great work out, added health, a positive outlook/attitude, no more weight gain...and hopefully some weight loss... All for $29/month. Sounds like a bargain to me! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just joined up at the YMCA back in November. Before that, I worked out from home and ran outside. We have decent fitness equipment at home and I love using our punching bags ( we have a heavy bag and a speed bag set up in the garage ) but for longer intense cardio sessions I had to go outside to run w/ the dog. Most of the time that was just fine but after a couple years, I felt like I wanted more variety. I got a membership for the whole family and the fee includes the childwatch area so I can drop both kids off and get a great workout w/ out having to constantly stop to break up a squabble or do other random mommy things. While I do like it I am feeling like it's a waste of money. If I didn't go there, I'd just workout at home.... and we haven't been using the pool much lately. *sigh* DH wants to keep the membership but I'm going to give it a couple more months and see how I feel. I could certainly spend the $83 somewhere else.
oh, what to do what to do.....:ponder:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I pay $20 a month and go to las vegas athletic club, a big chain here in Vegas. The gym is absolutely huge! It has a womens only section, two different cardio sections, separate floor for weights, running track that wraps all the way around the building, two pools, sauna, steam room, showers, juice bar, six different class rooms with dozens of classes........ whoo im exausted just thinking about it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. I drag everyone there. Right now my favorite activity is spinning. I realized that I am sticking with it and should break down and purchase some shoes that clip on to the pedals. I had sticker shock of over $100 a pair when I checked in the store. Anyone care to help me brain storm as how I could get a good pair without that high of a price?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just canceled our membership today. $75/month and we weren't going. Even if we did go 3 times per week, I didn't feel it was worth it (even if I could take a hot shower for as long as I wanted...ALONE, with no children!) I am thinking about changing our membership to the YMCA into the county where I work, it's almost $20 cheaper per month. I'm not sure though.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
we have a membership to the Y. here it's $68 a month for teh 4 of us for the family membership. they kids are taking swimming lessons on saturdays, so while they are at their lesson, i can use the pool to do my PT exercises. i just started aquatherapy for fibro, and being able to go to teh pool at the Y on off days is supposed to help. without the memebership, i'd only have the 2 days of PT but no at home time.

ours is trying to be more family friendly and are supposed to have more family programs soon. they just added on to one end and moved the teen room and kids room over there. they have much more room now with activites for the kids.
the workout room has tv's on the wall you can tune your walkman to to hear the sound. and some of the machine have tv's bulit into them. though all i use in there right now is teh treadmill. ds is old enough that he can go into the workout room with me or dh and use some of the machines.
for us it's worth it because there is no way we could afford the machine or have room for them. and the pool is great because there is almost always an area open for free swim. this past summer the complex pool was closed more than it was open, and some days it was over run with kids from a daycare they were letting use it. lifeguards at the Y actually enforce their rules so i don;t have to worry about the kids getting trampled by unruly brats.

if you're thinking about joining a gym, check out the ymca too. whichever you choose, make sure it's easy to get to. if it's out of the way, you'll talk yourself out of going. also ask if you employer gets any discounts at a gym or the Y. sometimes your bank or credit union does too. if you work for a big enough company, there might be a wellness center as a perk. here the school system gets a discounted membership to one of the hospital run wellness centers (the one i go to for PT) look at what they offer, some have pools others don't, and pick which one has what you need.
my mom and sister do curves, but the circuit training is more demanding than what i can do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think you can say that across the board gym membership is "not frugal." If you live a frugal lifestyle you apply the principles to all areas of life and gym membership is no exception. You shop around and look for the best deal for you. Being healthy will save you money in the long run -- decreased medical bills, increased productivity, etc. We used to belong to the Y -- we got a really good deal through DH's employer. The company he works for now has a gym onsite -- no charge for him. We also moved and I use the fitness center in our apt. community -- no extra charge. An added perk to where we live is the lake across the road -- we spend a lot of time on the nature trails over there.

The biggest problem we had with the Y was the time it consumed. We live in the city and by time we drove there and back our one hour workout became two. We went faithfully, but some days it seemed like all we did was work and go to the Y.

What we are doing now is okay, but I do miss the weight machines.

There are all kinds of ways to get deals on gym membership. First I would check and see if your employer offers anything. Then look for "sales" and special offers -- many gyms will do this from time to time. If you don't have to have unlimited access and can be flexible in when you go there are sometimes offers for a greatly reduced price that allow you to go only on certain days and times when traffic at the gym is usually slow. Also remember when you join the gym you will most likely be talking to a salesperson and they will try to "well up." So watch for add ons like sessions with a personal trainer -- that kind of stuff can add up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts